Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to think a lot of folks on this board have forgotten what having fun with a few buddies over the weekend is like. You guys can't be this serious about a game, can you? I realize there are thournament players and expert modelers out there, but come on man - it's a game - no need to get all anal retentive about it (got a job for that). After 15 years of fun in the basement, the dollar cost of this hobby becomes negligible. Heck, I'm sure we've spent way more dough on pizza and sodas than on models!

Put a model on the table just cuz it looks sweet? Sign me up!

Giant squads of 40 chosen in terminator armour? Yes please!

HQs that make up 50% of the points cost? You betcha!

Replay a turn because your buddy made a mistake? More time to scarf pizza!

Tactics? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

So sound off, who STILL plays the game just for the fun of it?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I play because I love the game, my army lists try to include as much cool stuff as a useable list will allow.

It may not be sensible to have 18 marines and 5 scouts in a 1500 point list but I love including my land raider and terminators (not too mention as much heavy support as I can fit).

If its cool and fluffy I will try to fit it in.

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
Of course it's all in fun. You can play any legal game you want, and even illegal games with opponent's permission. I may have a gripe with some fluff fouls from time to time, but again it's ultimately still just a game. No big whoop!

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I still play to have fun and I always will. If it wasn't fun then I woudn't be playing! Of course I still like to win once in awhile but I can try to win and have fun at the same time!

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
Of course I still play for fun. It's the reason I don;t enter competitions, because I can't be arsed to fight a bunch of beardy crap.

·
Proud banner bearer of LO
945 Posts
My space marines seem to allergic to glory and victory. But its still great fun playing.

Reactions: Joker

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Of course one plays to have fun, but I also think winning is fun.
The thing is, one can play the game just for a laugh- like you said "bring out the big guys" and that's fun or one can play it as a tactical, more chess like, game and that's also fun but in a different way.
It's not that one way is better then the other, none is more "genuine". I like them both.

The most important thing is that both players are playing the game in the same way at the same time, not one with 40 chosen in terminator armour and the other using his beard....che....effective and competative army.

The advices given here, at least on the Chaos board, is more of the "efficient" kind as the other kind is much more about personal taste. I came here to get advice on how to make my army more efficient and I think many still do.

But anyhow, I play to have fun.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Da Mighty Camel said:
Fun is the foremost goal in every battle. It is always a victory for me if both players had fun!
My feelings exactly, I couldn't of said it better Camel, Even if I lose I'm laughing at the end of the battle :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
If they're Day-Glo Orange, I will... well, I'll be impressed but that's about it, really.

I tend to just play for fun myself. Mind you, I can have a lot of fun from winning. Still, I mostly just play for fun. I don't like the idea of hitting up tournaments because of the competitive atmosphere, not that I've been to a WH tourny. I've played a few M:tG tournaments though and, frankly, it's all about winning when I'm there. If I'm winning, I'm happy. If I'm loosing, I'm not. I just try to avoid the whole issue.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
I only ever play for fun, but mostly because none of my friends are really into Warhammer or 40k so when we play it HAS to be for fun (although i do try to stop them introducing new troops etc who just happen to stumble onto the battlefield when i am not looking)
Its just one of the many board games we try to play to stop drinking so much and have conversations, we also play Risk, Axis and Aliies etc for fun too now and again!

fun is fun! :)

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
I agree that playing is for fun. I hate games that turn out to be nothing but big arguments. I'm always ready to play a nice, friendly game with someone if they want. I'm also a competitive player when it suits me, and I will play for the win. Plus, I get a lot of flak from people at my club for being a girl and all so... Sometimes I get downright vicious, because I have something to prove.:sleep:

I'll play friendly or competitive games. It all depends on who my opponent is, and what mood I'm in. Lately, I've been playing a lot of competitive games, because there's a tournament in March that I want to attend, and I need as much practice as possible.:)

·
Favored of Tzeentch
3,140 Posts
It all comes down to what you think is fun though, would anyone play this game if they didn't think it was fun? Some people think it's fun to be competative, others like fluffy games or silly games or whatever. But it's all fun!

I like to vary, but I just love the feeling of having a tight and exciting game with a lot of cool tactical moves... and hopefully ends with a draw so that no one has to bear the shame of victory against an opponent that played well.

Indeed, winning because of pure luck is very unsatisfying...

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I like to vary, but I just love the feeling of having a tight and exciting game with a lot of cool tactical moves... and hopefully ends with a draw so that no one has to bear the shame of victory against an opponent that played well.

Indeed, winning because of pure luck is very unsatisfying...
I totally agree.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
shoottokill said:
I'm beginning to think a lot of folks on this board have forgotten what having fun with a few buddies over the weekend is like. You guys can't be this serious about a game, can you? I realize there are thournament players and expert modelers out there, but come on man - it's a game - no need to get all anal retentive about it (got a job for that). After 15 years of fun in the basement, the dollar cost of this hobby becomes negligible. Heck, I'm sure we've spent way more dough on pizza and sodas than on models!

Put a model on the table just cuz it looks sweet? Sign me up!

Giant squads of 40 chosen in terminator armour? Yes please!

HQs that make up 50% of the points cost? You betcha!

Replay a turn because your buddy made a mistake? More time to scarf pizza!

Tactics? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

So sound off, who STILL plays the game just for the fun of it?

Of course I can be that serious. I like being serious about some stuff. Yes, there are Tourney players out there, but that doesn't mean we make every game a serious one. We haven't forgotten what having a few games over a few beers is like you know ^_~

As for what Andusciassus had said, I am in agreement about "Winning is fun."
My stance on the whole playing for fun thing has always been that it is fun to win. You don't spend the money that you do on this game just to lose all the time, as losing all the time ain't fun.

But aye, I do play for fun, but there are games that I do take seriously. I.E GT related games.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
I take every game I play seriously, but that doesn't mean I don't play with fun lists, I just like people to follow the rules and have a nice clean game but I still try and crack jokes and make weird comments about the range of Tau guns and all that. I can't exactly have beer and pizza as the majority of my games are played at GW but the fun element is still there. We're all friends, if something goes wrong (i.e. snake-eyes 3 games in a row with Plasma Guns) we laugh with each other, not at each other, that sort of stuff. The only time I ever go all-out is if I'm at a tournament (very rare) or if we get an annoying, arrogant noob in the store, in which case I whip out my Siren Bomb army or let someone else deal with him.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i've always been a guy who plays for fun...

problem is, stopping people from fudging the rules is part of the fun for me... the thrill of the argument is prolly one of the reasons i play against the guys i do, so i can see them find some obscure loophole and exploit it, just to find a way to counter it...

guess that's prolly half the reason i get into writing my own rules alot...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts