Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a lengthy absence of posts due to quite a crappy autumn, I feel I can once again invest some time and energy to contribute to the LO community.

Some of the things you should be able to see as this plog progresses are:

Wood elves (specifically the dragon but perhaps other things later on)

Eldar (that I've inherited from my brother)

Vampire counts (that I've recently got into my head to do)

To start off, some pics:

Warwalker

Closeup on the little creature on the base:

And a ranger while we're at it:

More to come.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next up, some skeleton warriors. I tried to give them a pirate/maritime/beach kind of theme with the bases. For the first and second rank I tried to use some kind of plastic filler which I really cannot recommend. It didn't keep its shape, hardened too quickly and smelled rather badly. For the third and fourth row I abandoned the filler and just used greenstuff which worked much better.

First rank

I hope you can see the octopus on the standard bearer's skull. That one was quite fun to do.:)

Second rank

Third rank

I dunno what happened to the pic of the last rank. I shall have to dig through my files, or just take a new one.

Anyway, it's late. I shall post more pictures tomorrow. Of the fourth rank and perhaps some ghouls. With good shots of their pretty bases little too.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Very nice looking models, and I particularly like the attention to detail in your bases. Carrying a theme through the entire unit, as per your skeletons, looks great! They're very well painted, too.

And I did notice the octopus. I don't think I would have known what it was had you not named it, but I did see it there!

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Deadstar_MRC
(...)
And I did notice the octopus. I don't think I would have known what it was had you not named it, but I did see it there!
Well, I hope these pics will make it easier for you to discern the true mollusc-y awesomeness of the octopus:

and

And I forgot the fourth rank, didn't I. Let's remedy that.

And now, some crypt ghouls. I think these turned out very well.

A look at the bases:

With some funny details. :)

It just goes to show how much better green stuff is compared to the awful mess I tried first. The red thing on the skull is supposed to be a crab by the way.

For those who are interested, I basecoated the beach with desert yellow, then drybrushed elf flesh followed by bleached bone.
To make the texture at the water's edge, I forcefully (spasmodically, like a sewing machine that's been under a lot of tension lately) tapped the round end of a brush shaft into the green stuff. For the water, I used GW water effects mixed with a little asurmen blue.

I think that will suffice for now. Do not worry, I have quite a backlog of things to show.

Edit/ I just realized this thread will be very picheavy. So I'd be very grateful if one of the mods could add a (warning: picheavy) to the end of the thread title. ::Thankyaverrymuch:: /edit

·
Registered
350 Posts
That warwalker is amazing! Not the best choice of weapons IMO but incredible paint job. Sigh, why are all the really amazing colour schemes so bloody hard to get right?

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Powerclaw: The weapons are magnetized, although those two are the only ones I've painted. In my putative list I run it with double scatter lasers.

The paint scheme is quite a lot of work, yes, but only because I make it the hard way. I've seen a quite good bone scheme on the LO site that used only white undercoat and a gryphonne sepia wash. A yellow similar to mine could probably done with a slightly lighter yellow and dipping it ( the blue, not so much, although that can be painted separately). A friend of mine gets awesome results by dipping his minis.

@And Justice For All: Thanks! Although the effort rests quite heavily on the bases to get the idea across. I've completely neglected to 'pirateify' the models so far (except the octopus!). That will hopefully change when I do the Zombies, though.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, time for a vampire I think.

This is one of a pair that I've converted from the winged vampire model. This one is my army general, or captain in keeping with the army's theme. Sorry about the shoddy pictures, daylight is a valuable commodity at this time of year and I don't see very much of it, being cooped up in the lab. The conversion is fairly easy, the arm is from the zombie sprue, the hand from the empire militia and the armor is green stuff as is the hat. I spent quite some time on the skin, working up from tallarn flesh mixed with scaly green and fortress gray, and the armor with boltgun metal and washes with necron abyss. Not that the pictures show it. ::grumble::

The bat:

Closeup on the chest and face:

Base details:

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Very nice! Quite a wonderful conversion, and very well painted. True, the pictures don't really capture your progressive efforts but you can see the effect of them; the mottled-looking skin and the very realistic look on the armour.

And I love his hat! Very nice work!

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think we're due for an update, don't you!

This is a Wood Elf hero I made from glade guard parts and arms and quiver from the dragon sprue. I cut the legs apart and sculpted a scalemail 'skirt' of some kind. Other little touches is the frog on the root and the owl-face kneepad.

I do like the purple, it's mechrite red and warlock purple. The brown armor is scorched brown highlighted with graveyard earth. The gold/bronze is vomit brown highlighted with gold and washed with baal red.

Oh, did you perchanse wonder what I did with the other vampire I mentioned? Well, here is some wip shots.

Some close-ups:

At first I wanted him to look as if he had swooped down and impaled some unfortunate victim, but there was really no way I could fit a whole man sprawled on the base. Instead, I put some skeletons rising out of the ground like he's summoning them, channeling the power through the sword (taken from the dragon sprue, by the way). I also extended his ears to the horns coming from beside his neck, to make him look more bestial.

I am in the process off painting this monster, pics to follow.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Wowee! That second vampire looks awesome! I really like the concept behind it, as well.

The wood elf is wonderfully painted, but leaves me wondering what manner of psychotropic forest he resides in. A bit of a change from the often-seen greens and browns, but I like it!

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the praise, guys, it warms my shriveled heart.

@ Xbanditx: I really can't claim any originality for the vampire pirates concept. With Pirates of the Caribbean, a series of teenage fantasy novels called Vampirates and GW's own Sartosa models, the idea has definitely been put out there. I actually got the idea for the two conversions first and then scrambled for some theme for an army to go with them.

@Deadstar: That conversion was the biggest reason that I started VC. Some (crazy) ideas just has to be done. I know a flyvamp is perhaps not the most useful build gamewise, but at least I have a nice model to plonk on the table and perhaps I can milk a few comp points from it (if I ever enter a tournament, that is).

Hehe, my WE started as an autumn theme with red and yellow but perhaps the colors have wandered a bit since then.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Really great!
I love the theme, and really well executed!
Makes me want to start a vamp army!

GnoblarGobbler

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Diversions: Dire Avengers, Treeman

Hiya, all. Time for some updates.

The flyvamp is coming along nicely, although it's not finished yet, and the reason is that I've been busy painting up these:

Exarch:

At least I finished the diversion, heh. The blue is hawk turquoise washed with asurmen blue and highlighted with ice blue. the yellow on the tabards and guns is vomit brown washed with gryphonne sepia and highlighted with bleached bone. The white on the helmets is Astronomican grey+ space wolves grey, then pure space wolves grey and highlighted to skull white. The gold turned out well for once:). I basecoated with scorched brown, covered with tin bits, shining gold and went through burnished gold to burnished + mithril for highlights.
The banner is supposed to be a raven with a yinyan in it's claw and a blue star for an eye + various rune-y splotches.
All in all, I like them.

Also, Do any of you remember that treeman I converted from a Hordes Megalith? Well I painted it up but never felt really satisfied with it. Last week it hit me what was wrong about it: Too much megalith not enough tree!
So I brutally tore the upper portion off and with a huge blob of greenstuff and some thick binding wire made this:

'

Which I then further refined to this:

It is still missing some bark and a couple of arms. I do plan on using the megalith arms, albeit with a lot of greenstuff added. The legs will also get a hefty helping of roots and gnarly growths.
I think this comes closer to the towering monster the treeman is supposed to be. I took a lot of inspiration from the WE armybook cover. It makes for a more interesting silhouette at least. :)

Flyvamp should be coming up soon(ish)!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Some wonderful work there. The Eldar look fantastic, particularly that banner! Really good job on that.

And the treeman is certainly looking fairly tree-like, a very interesting interpretation there. Is he going to have a bit of a canopy of leaves on the top? He'd probably be fine without it but it might look kind of cool!

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
I'll echo Deadstar's comments. The treeman looks great so far. Much better than GWs Stickman version. I like how he does look rather treelike, and is barely done. But I think adding leaves or something to it will make him look even better.

Kuffy

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had not intended to put much leaves on him. Most of the branches will end in chopped-off stumps and I will add some fire damage as well, to give a fluffy reason for the stone armour. Otherwise, he might just look like a plant that outgrew his flowerpot. :)

Still there might be room for just a little foliage (especially in places where I might want to cover some shoddy work).

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Winged Vampire conversion

Okay, so it is finally painted and photographed.

Hope you like it:

Close-up on face:

Base:

And taken in a different light, because even natural light looks off in my photos:

I tried for an OSL on the sword and I think I've pulled it of, mostly. The ground around the sword might be a bit over saturated.

He is quite top-heavy, that black thing is a piece of magnet tape, which helps balance him a little bit. Especially on the (metal) top of the fridge, where I keep my finished models.

Well, I have to get to the lab tomorrow, so I can't write much more now. If you have any questions I'll answer them tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts