Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are the Eldar such poor shots. You would think that any soldier who had a lifespan of several thousand earth years would have a ws and bs of 4 as a standard. Or is it that they are too arrogant to spar or go to the firing range to practice?
:hmm:

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
Play Ulthwe are your wish will come true, where guardians have WS 4 and BS 4...pending on the type of guardian

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Eldar Path

Fluff Reason:

The Eldar cannot afford to spend too much time focusing upon any one aspect of their life or they will become totally obsessed with it and unable to do anything else, ie: Exarchs. This is regarded as a bad thing, because if your entire society is composed of Exarchs, there are no seers, no bonesingers, no artists, no ship builders, no food production types, no technicians, no plumbers(if eldar have plumbers), and perhaps most important, no new eldar, as I'm pretty sure the Exarchs are all too busy practising how to kill things to have time for making, having and raising little eldar tykes.

So typically, eldar will move from one career to another. Those presently practising the way of the warrior are aspect warriors and have the 4 BS and WS.

The guys with the 3 BS(guardians) are not regular warriors, they are the regular civilians who happen to get called up because there's not enough aspect warriors to meet the threat.

Game Balance Reason:

The eldar have some of the best weapons in the game. If all of them were also all good at using those weapons, they'd have to cost more points, giving you less eldar in your army, causing:

Cash Reason

GW loses money because less people are buying Space Marines( ;) ) and instead buying small, ultra elite Eldar armies.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Grey said:
Fluff Reason:

The Eldar cannot afford to spend too much time focusing upon any one aspect of their life or they will become totally obsessed with it and unable to do anything else, ie: Exarchs. This is regarded as a bad thing, because if your entire society is composed of Exarchs, there are no seers, no bonesingers, no artists, no ship builders, no food production types, no technicians, no plumbers(if eldar have plumbers), and perhaps most important, no new eldar, as I'm pretty sure the Exarchs are all too busy practising how to kill things to have time for making, having and raising little eldar tykes.

So typically, eldar will move from one career to another. Those presently practising the way of the warrior are aspect warriors and have the 4 BS and WS.

The guys with the 3 BS(guardians) are not regular warriors, they are the regular civilians who happen to get called up because there's not enough aspect warriors to meet the threat.

Game Balance Reason:

The eldar have some of the best weapons in the game. If all of them were also all good at using those weapons, they'd have to cost more points, giving you less eldar in your army, causing:

Cash Reason

GW loses money because less people are buying Space Marines( ;) ) and instead buying small, ultra elite Eldar armies.

yea you have a point there Grey, GW woludn't do anythng that might make them lose alot of money so that is a reason for some other things wrong with other armies as well

·
480 Posts
Dude, if you've been training to be the master cookie baker of your craftworld for the past ten years and you get called back into service, you're not gonna be the best shot in the world, either.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
BS 3 is enough, you up to BS 4, well... we can argue that our brothers.. DE have great BS..

But we are cheaper points, and we want to stay as cheap as we can get. =)

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Eldar cannot afford to spend too much time focusing upon any one aspect of their life or they will become totally obsessed with it and unable to do anything else, ie: Exarchs.
It's a good thing that Eldar don't have fraternity houses in college. Their entire society would be obsessed with beer and sex. Now that I consider it.... is that a bad thing?

I love making fun of poor storyline writing. Any race where every single member became obsessed with something to the point of it overtaking their lives would have never left the stone age while they searched for their favorite berries.

Worlds Collide

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
look don't take this personally but this has been delt with in th eldar wish list thread and continues to be under debate, somefor some against the whole thing comes to is gw decided not to make em bs4 and that is the way it will stay until the new codex.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Worlds Collide said:
It's a good thing that Eldar don't have fraternity houses in college. Their entire society would be obsessed with beer and sex. Now that I consider it.... is that a bad thing?
Yeah, that's pretty much a description of Eldar before the fall. . .

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
yeah we ruled back then

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
4+ to hit with 40 shots....

Anyways if i gave you an m4 rifle and expected you to hit a target some 50 meters away i doubt you'd score many hits :p

They do give gaurdians fast firingweapon, quote from film "Fire as many shots as possible and hope you hit"

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Murekhalir said:
BS 3 is enough, you up to BS 4, well... we can argue that our brothers.. DE have great BS..

But we are cheaper points, and we want to stay as cheap as we can get. =)
Nope, our warriors are the same points as your guardians, with an extra Bs, Ws and I. The guns are about even but I'd prefer a shuriken catapult so that I can assault after shooting. but your guardians Can be made as good or better. Black Defender guardians with enhance have the same stats as a DE warrior and black storm guardians with enhace have a higher weapon skill but lower ballistic.

Oh, and eldar can only have one heavy weapon for 50 points and dark eldar can have 2 for 10 points each and then 2 special weapons too. And sybarites instead of warlocks.

Sorry for braggin like this, its only natural... I do eldar a bit aswell as dark eldar though....

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
speaking of dark eldar, anyone else run into bad problems fighting DE wych armies... they usually end up bowling over my biel-tann in melee from their abilities and superior numbers. i usually end up doing the majority of my damage with my leftover transports... tank shocking troops and gunning down raiders.

although maybe i should have avoided melee with the wyches entirely and my biel-tann are focused on cc... probably should have said no to lelith too...

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
Beil-tan doesn't have to focus on melee, the prospect of getting banshees as troops probably misleads oneto think that way. Anyways, transports are a good way to protect against wyches in addition to anything with armour values.

·
The Love Muffin
1,830 Posts
red120 said:
Dude, if you've been training to be the master cookie baker of your craftworld for the past ten years and you get called back into service, you're not gonna be the best shot in the world, either.

AAHHHH HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

This is true.

It does say in the little box next to the Guardian entry in the codex that they are called upon in the time of need.

·
Registered
92 Posts
an they wonder why they're known as the dying...

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
Do you know what really pisses me off, the dark eldar have weaker rifles but better balistic skill. Just bugs the f*** out of me, at least give em better guns or something

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Wraith, our guns can shoot 24" that gives us a distinct advantage over the shuriken catapult's 12" although I'd much prefer if they were assault 2 range.....like 18 or maybe even only 12 so they can unload fire and then assault. It would also be nice to have another attack like the kroot do for spikey guns or at least that chaos spikey bits rule. Or even a sp and ccw but the point is that we are more spikey than kroot and chaos put together.

·
Registered
67 Posts
so i guess the next step is a campaign for universal spikey rights.

the reason for BS 3?

the eldar are very acurate for civilians. human civilians: BS 2 or even BS 1. human conscripts: BS 2. human military, BS 3.

the human military has had a long period of basic training (if anyone has a number, apreciated). the guardians have been given maybe a couple of days and a spirit stone and told to try and come back alive. just long enough to learn how to interface the gun. and they have the same BS as the imperial guard, who are probably far superior to our own armed forces.

BS 4 represents a lifetime dedicated to training with ones chosen weaponry, in the case of marines they train every day, exept when they are fighting. in the case of the aspect warriors, they have dedicated a human lifetime towards learning the art of war. hence: BS 4.

and BS 5 is just dumb/crazy shooting skills. the kind of person who could land dead eye rounds on a target 2K away in a storm with a sub machine gun. on the move. that kind of dumb/crazy skill.

so really a BS of 3 is quite justified for guardians in fluff terms. and in game terms they make up for it with loads of bolter strength shots. so no real reson to complain

1 - 20 of 30 Posts