Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a conversation with MasterBelial, this question was asked: Why are the Sisters so unpopular. It came to this conclusion:

1) Expensive- the sisters are all made of metal and therefor more expensive
2) Lack of models - the fact there are only 2 normal types of seraphim is not very encouraging
3) Converting problems - the fact that they are metal and are not easy to cut without cutting off other detail is a problem
4) Character - at the moment they are not 'ALIVE', they don't have much of a character to them compared to the other army's
5) Can't relate r-they don't have a character that the gamer can relate too.
6) too hard - they are a tougth and complecated army to play
7) painting problems -they are hard to paint...
8) they are female - and of course they are mainly females
9) Interest elsewhere - far too interested in another army

What put you off the sisters????

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd have to say all of the above are legitimate reasons for not using SoB. It's still not going to stop me from them being my next army after I finish my chaos horde.

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
97 Posts
For me, I just liked the Imperial Guard. The lure of big guns ( :twisted: )was too great, so I went with them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I really haven't noticed any spite between the SOBs and everyone else. I don't play them or any other 40K army because I personaly like the Imperial Gaurd models.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm not sure the SoB really get enough play as a "real, full" army. After all, their second edition form was far from a well rounded army, so coming into 3rd edition they didn't have a large user base. Then in 3rd edition, they just don't seem to have received as much developer attention as other armies, and I can kind of see why. It must be hard, not wanting them to be considered cheap marines or tough gaurd, but instead their own individual force. I think this also translates into a problem with distinguishing them as a separate force for gamers, especially newer gamers. After all, the Space Marines are the hardcore, rock hard shock troops of the imperium and the toughest troops in the galaxy (not that I'm trying to insight anything with any chaos folks out there... :twisted: ). They can compare to USMC and SpecOps. The IG are the standard, everyday infantry, not that tough in the big picture, but lots of them and with massive armored divisions. They sort of compare to any modern military, especially those based around tanks. What are the Adeptus Sororitas? I mean, sure, they're the religious troops, but where do they fit in to the picture tactically and strategically. It's not that they don't have a role, it's just that it's distiction is more subtle. They don't really stand out. They don't have any rock-hard killer troop types. They don't have the greatest standard infantry, they don't, frankly, have much that stands out beyond the Immolator.

This is not to say that they aren't a great army, they are. In fact, if I ever finished all of the main stuff I want in my BA army (I know, I know, 8+ years and I'm no where near done...but I've been busy...), I would probably start on a Sisters army. IG are attractive, but all those squadies would take to long to paint. Sisters on the other hand are, in my opinion, one of the coolest armies out there. They just aren't flashy.

Also, and this ties heavily into my first point, they were originally designed as allies. In the 2nd edition codex, if I remember correctly (too tired to go find the codex), it specifically says that while Sisters are capable as their own force, they just aren't balanced right and aren't really designed to stand on their own. Under 2nd edition, it was relatively easy for a Space Marine or IG player to throw in some Sisters allies. I even have some unpainted Sisters models I was going to paint up as allies for my BA. But the allies rules in 3rd edition make allies a relatively rare occurence and one that only really occurs in big games. Contrast this with, say, the Necrons, which also appeared in 2nd edition but were not designed as allies so they had to have a certain amount of tactial balance built in. The same is true of all of the new armies. Games Workshop has tweeked the SoB army list somewhat, and they are very capable, but to make them as good as a balanced, stand alone force as the other armies would take some work. Hopefully that work will be done and a new Sisters codex will come out which maintains the subtleties of the current Sisters army while making them a more balanced force, easier for newcomers to employ effectively on the battlefield.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
A combo.
As you said, the lack of models, and the price of em because they're all pewter. This also makes converting a pain.
No codex.
Not that much background really.
Ppl may find it hard to identify with over-zealous and religious fanatics (no offense).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some stuff I posted about the SoB before...

About this Sisters of Battle hoopla, GW will push a product line that will sell. If they are not planning on expanding the SoB line further, or producing rule material (i.e. codex), it is because they feel their investment won't return a profit.

I guess with the Tau and Necron they felt that these would be armies folks would like to play. But they have definately neglected some armies in the past (Dark Eldar anyone?) in supporting armies that sell. Look at all the releases for Space Marines, IG, and Chaos. Hell, Look at this site. Take a gander at the poll for what the armies people collect, and what race boards have the most active posts. SoB will not get a codex because it is a minor army and in GW's eyes, few will buy the models if they expand the range or rules.

I think they are mistaken though. If they offered plastic kits for the troop models and had a decent codex with rules allowing them to incorperate their force into a SM or IG army, they would sell. SoB is an unusual troop choice of IG stats with SM equipment. I guess the Tau have sort of taken over this idea as an army flavor though.

Quote: and as GW has no interest in making SoB models with less detail they won't make plastics for em.

I don't buy that for a minute. Yes, with molds for metal figs you can get better detail. But not to introduce a line of plastic models for troop choices because of quality? Horsepucky. The old arguement of poor quality mini's in plastic is starting to become moot. GW plastics ARE fantastic and can maintain a lot of detail.

It cost a lot of money to get a line of quality plastic minis up, and much cheaper to make metal figs. They would have to make a lot of minis in plastic (and in turn hope they sell) to make a profit on them. Sadly, I think they fail to see the catch-22 the SoB minis are in. They are not really popular so GW does not support the range. However, if more models were available and the bulk of the army resonably priced (plastic troop units) maybe more people would play em.

Bornin, I think GW's statement that they consider SoB a specialty army (i.e. few players, so not enough to warrent much support of the range) fortells the future of them as a minor army. It has been 5 years since 40K came out. Since then 2 new races have been introduced. Every race has it's own codex. Some races are seeing addtional expansions to their mini range and rules (SM and IG) while some are getting complete overhauls (Chaos). SoB players have effectively been ignored and it is too bad GW does not feel it worth the investment to bring them up to line with the other armies.

I actually think SoB would really be a neat army idea. Something with the equipment, weapondry (sort of), and armor of SM, but the stats and fraility of IG toopers. I think the Tau took off with this army 'flavor'. Why not get into SoB? GW does not support it. This is expressed as a lack of rules/codex and expensive metal minis for the troop selections.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the fact that the sisters have a pretty small selection of troops-they only have a few squad types; normal squads, seraphim, retributor, celestian, and thats about it. And even between these there is little substantial difference.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Ahh yes I remember that discussion HishamEQ.
You know I might actually start a SoB army in the future. Once I finished my IW Chosen and the Feral Orks (which will take a long time...), or maybe while I'm making the Feral Orks I will collect an Emperor's Children army, and I'm planning to include some SoB models too. I might get a feel for the models then, and if I can make up some decent fluff for a fallen SoB army I might collect one (I shall never ever play an imperial army!).

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah SoB mini's would be good for slaanesh troops. You'd just have to get rid of the iconography. Perhaps give em CSM backpacks or something :twisted:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Reasons...

Yeah I totally agree,
there aren't very many troop choices and they all seem very similar. Its also a bit sad how SOB promtes sexism. It;s the 41st Milennia and Men and women stil cant get equal opportunites :oops:

They just seem to be expensive as well, and have no codex, which is a HUGE DETERRENT for starting player.

I have only faced 1 SOB army, and they just didint seem to work well, short ranged wepons, low T. I just sat there and shot them to bits even with a 3+ save....

SOrry siter Mel :p :lol:
Bye for now.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: Reasons...

dorn said:
It;s the 41st Milennia and Men and women stil cant get equal opportunites
In most modern armies, women are not allowed to be in combat units such as tanks or infantry. They get to fight in 40k, they are almost as good as Space Marines, what more do they want?

Anyway, I saw a battle between SOBs and Eldar. The sisters won in a bold move to the right flank.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
In my opinion they are kinda boring to look at and much too non-varied.

I think the idea of a female army in 40k is cool but the sistas kinda seem like they've been made for that purpose alone.

It seems that GW felt that the HAD to make a female army and quickly threw some together. They kinda lack cool fluff and seem more like 'female counterparts' to Marines.

It's kinda like the IDEA of a female army was more important than the army itself... If only there was more fluff and more variation to them I might consider playing them...

Also, their hair styles are DAMNED ugly.. :p

-Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Spasmarod@Mar 2 2003, 14:54
yeah SoB mini's would be good for slaanesh troops. You'd just have to get rid of the iconography. Perhaps give em CSM backpacks or something :twisted:
Nah, thats an idea thats been done to death. now, if they were another mark...
Chaos Undivided: Joined a cult that followed a 'different guise of the emperor'. Found out about many more guises. Now worships Chaos in the same form as the Word Bearers.

Khorne: An army of warriors who formerly cleansed heretics and mutants. Blessed by Khorne after purging an entire planet in a blood rage (the planet in question can be guilty of heresy to taste...)

Tzeentch: This is the manipulator of ways we're talking about. He's been doing this for years. Alternatively, Sisters caught in Warp Storm, escaped (they thought). Now a victim of strange mutations and outbursts of raw psychic talent. Feathery growths along the hair have also been noted (now that would make a cool way of converting hair!)

Nurgle: Caught up in a plague of unbelief. Resurfaced near eye of terror in blasphemous Iconograpy.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i will be collecting a sisters army after im satisfid with my khorne forces and of course these sisters will be followers of khorne. theres heaps of reasons why sisters are unpopuar are all outlined above, but there is another reason which is they get no coverage when was the last time you read about or saw sisters in white dwarf, and even in the stores they seem to keep the models in the dark corner of the room. sucks really cause if they had decent, cheaper models with some proper rules for them im sure heaps of people will use them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm going to have a Female Daemon hunter inquisitor and i'll use a Sisters of Battle minature for her...

I'm thinking along the lines of a long trench coat over the power armour to make her look different to a sister of Battle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't understand why they are so unpopular, But hey, people will make their choices based on what they want of course!

I know that once I get my Deamon Hunters army to decent size, I'll be starting a Sisters of Battle army, both as a stand alone and as an ally for my Deamon Hunters army :)

I think they look good, cept the hair oi.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2500 pts. of Sisters and I just finnished my Daemonhunters army (2000 pts). I plan on combining them in the future. The daemonhunters will give the Siters some punch and more options to handle mission objectives.....In the Kansas City Area there are quite a few Sisters players; most mave mothballed them in anticipation for the Witchhunters codex to see if the sisters change structurely and if new modles are released. The biggest complaint I have heard about the Sisters is the lack of tranportation for the battle squads.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
The manager at the local GW let me use his SoB army and for me, it was the most fun i have ever had while playing 40k. Whats not to like about a whole bunch of chicks with flamers and some religious freaks. And as far as tactics, the faith points rule, and its really simple to see how they play; there's the heritic's, non-believers, etc and you must burn. Plain and simple. I think their biggest downfall is not the lack of models, but its the fact that they don't have a codex. And the one "codex" that they had, is no longer available through GW. As far as the lack of models. I don't mind the metal models. I find that it's easier to do conversions with metal than it is with plastic. Besides, there are a ton of Redemptionist models from Necromunda that you can use as well as the regular blisters and boxes. I think that if they get a codex, that will make things a lot easier for SoB players.

Oh, and about not being able to relate to them, in the bible belt where I live, there's plenty of people that are religious freaks around that act exactly lke a sister would.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.