Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't really think the Tau have godlike firepower... Sure railguns are powerful, but they're not that much more powerful than the tank busters of other armies, and the Tau can't field them as easily.

The real reason, imho, that the Tau don't have alot of heavy weapons with long range, is because the Tau aren't meant to be another IG, they're meant to be mobile.

There are a plethora of armies that can field lots of heavy weapons and sit still and shoot. The Tau are just different.

The basic Tau trooper though, the firewarrior infantryman, does have the longest range standard weapon that I know of.

And the 72" railgun is one of the longest reaching weapons in the game, so they definetely have *some* range advantages.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by PapaBear@Nov 15 2003, 02:03
The basic Tau trooper though, the firewarrior infantryman, does have the longest range standard weapon that I know of.
AND the strongest.

Take plasma guns, 24" only. But since BS compense movement for rapid-fire weapon, plasma guns are effectively 1 shot from 18 to 30", and two shot from 1 to 18"... That aint bad at all.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That isn't really true imo. You don't always have the luxury of being able to move your crisis straight towards your enemy. After all, your crisis are generally going to be near some terrain for cover and blocking LOS, and so the ability to move that 6" forward without difficult terrain rolls is dependent on the line between you, your target, and the shape of the hill/forest whatever you're behind.

So, it can sometimes get that 30" shot, but it isn't as guaranteed as it is for a destroyer, for example. (destroyer doesn't have the assault move, so he doesn't need to worry about getting back into cover at the end of his move, so he can just plow down an open firing lane).

·
Registered
346 Posts
personally i think the tau do have relatively long ranged weaponry, the pulse rifle with its 30" range does horrible things to guard and all the jump units are so mobile it doesn't really matter

then theres the railgun :D :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Dont for get the ion cannon 3, 60" inch shot is not bad at all.

·
Registered
346 Posts
theres an ion cannon? i never really saw the point of it; marines still get a save and the dinnerplate with the rail gun is much more effective against weaker units

railgun >>>>>>> ion cannon

·
Registered
531 Posts
Originally posted by eadipus@Nov 17 2003, 12:01
theres an ion cannon? i never really saw the point of it; marines still get a save and the dinnerplate with the rail gun is much more effective against weaker units

railgun >>>>>>> ion cannon
UUUMMmmmm with ap3 mariners dont get their saves.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by eadipus@Nov 17 2003, 10:02
personally i think the tau do have relatively long ranged weaponry, the pulse rifle with its 30" range does horrible things to guard and all the jump units are so mobile it doesn't really matter

then theres the railgun :D :D
It does matter though when the IG can field lots 48" range heavy bolters. Even if the ones with lasguns can't fire, the heavy bolters will be enough to tear the firewarriors into a cyan river.

And the railgun is alright, but I'd prefer some IG snipers with their 36" 2+ to hit, 4+ to wound rifle, especially when you consider the little perks they can get as specialty troops.

·
Registered
346 Posts
marines don't get a save?

i'm going to have to have words with a few chaos marine players (i'm a bit of a n00b so i rely on them knowing the rules)

as far as guard go i've been having a good run, last time i played some i decimated a 1500 point army and all i lost were 4 stealth suits

the railgun template was especially nasty as is the fact that firewarriors/gun drones/stealth suits can do nasty things to side/rear armour on transports

·
Registered
531 Posts
Of course marines dont get saves against the ion cannon cause it has ap3, unless im missing something please tell me.

@Papabear, I'm 100% shure(as im looking at a ig codex right now) that the range on heavy bolter is 36 not 48.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Doh, you're right. I must've been thinking of the missile launcher and its frag weapons, which aren't really as scary to the Tau.

Thanks for correcting me, that makes a big difference.

And no you're not missing anything, (unless we both are because his chaos friends have invul saves or something), the AP3 ion cannon obviously prevents the standard 3+ save of space marine armor.

I agree that the railgun owns IG as well, but there's a big diff between dropping an ordinance template onto IG and SMs. (IG will have more models to be hit, and they wont get their saves, and they have a lower toughness, which means a template on IG is brutal, on SMs it might not be as effective for the same reasons, and it's more expensive than the Ion cannon).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yup ion cannon due brutal things to sm, so do fusionblasters and plasma but those are short ranged.

Also since we are on the subject on sucky range, i cannot beat my frieds speedfreaks army its krazy i get close to shoot and then i lose the battle suits in hth.

·
Registered
353 Posts
speed freaks are just a bunch of bikes/trukks but they give an invul save to the infantry behind em right?

Why not just own the bikes and trucks with ranged stuff first? Use broadsides etc.

Or maybe that isn't possible, (invul saves?), I dunno their rules very well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
When yo blow their trucks up they are only wounded on a 6, and he has nobs on bikes with t5 and a 5=invunerable saves and 3 wounds. Not to mention the fighta bomba raid before the game starts that wound lots of your units.

·
Registered
353 Posts
fighta bombas? Is that some sort of pre game ordinance rule? How much does it cost him?

Anyway, sounds to me like all of that stuff must cost him alot of points, so if I was you I'd rely on lots of firewarriors spread out in different areas to break up his charge and to overwhelm the invulnerable saves. Burst cannons would also be a good way to overwhelm those saves, but of course getting that close is your problem.

Other than lots of FWs to overwhelm the invul save bikers, and broadsides to take out the trucks, (even if the passengers don't get hurt, it's worth it to make em walk), I dunno. Sounds like a tough army to beat.

I'd also reccomend using alot of terrain so that his vehicle squads risk diff terrain rolls to charge in on you and some of them will hopefully get stuck.

Or, if you use some impassable terrain, that could work well for your crisis. Some rivers or cliffs/tall buildings or something would give your crisis the protection from charging while they focus on shooting.

·
Registered
531 Posts
All his vehicles move 25", and eah the fighta-bomba rules is like the preliminary bombing rule but costs 30 points. I figure if i kill all his trucks/ people in them to slow him down, and then focus everything on his nobs on bikes(400pts) that would kill his charge. But he would still have his warboss a retuine(600pts) but if I kill their truck then they will be slow..

·
Registered
353 Posts
slow is good.

Once you do break the charge, his slow plodding force will definetely lose any shooting matches with you. Especially since he seems to have spent alot of points on fancy stuff, so he's bound to have fewer models than some ork mobs.

Just shoot and shoot. Might even wanna try including an ethereal so you can delay him with crisis and be ready to make them fallback from CC if he gets into it with them. (which would really help you out, as he'd hopefully end up moving and charging towards the crisis, which is opposite the direction of your firewarriors if you do it right. Thus delaying his march to you even more)

Crisis make expensive bait though, so it might not be worth the risk. I'll let you decide, :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.