Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Dork Knight
1,131 Posts
To waste money?
To please the Warhammer Gods?
To fuel are sick ways by buying expensive models that you must put together and paint so we don't do bad things?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Well, I do it because it's a hobby that I find quite fun and relaxing, while also offering pure entertainment for my opponent's due to my horrendously cursed dice rolls!

It's also an outlet for any violent feelings I might have, especially if I feel like I've been wronged in some way.
I mean, let's face it, humans are pretty savage creatures. Our entire history is dominated by war & killing - it's our basic nature. Wargames, violent video games & movies, contact sports, etc... are a perfectly safe way to indulge in our basic desire to destroy crap without actually causing any negative effects on those around us.
I love the imagery of a good Warhammer game where armies are put through the blender, your soldiers are killed in spectacularly violent ways and you get to laugh and demand MOAR! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

It's a great way to stay sane as I can imagine every person I utterly loath and hate as those poor [email protected]$^*rds who just got messily eaten and torn to bloody ribbons by giant space bugs!:D (or turned inside out by an evil daemon from the warp, etc...)

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I don't think it's just 40k you should be asking about. I don't really play 40k that much anymore, I'm more of a Fantasy guy myself.
I play wargames as a social thing, but also because it's a very cerebral experience.
First, I enjoy sitting around with my friends and painting, gaming, or discussing my next army. Wargames are at their own pace, and it's easy to "talk over them". Playing DnD for example, it's hard to have a conversation while also having a solid roleplaying experience. When playing videogames, it's easy to get sucked into the action and the white-knuckled button-mashing and forget that there's someone sitting right beside you. My other hobbies are similar - surfing is nice because you are completely alone even when there are other people in the water, paintball and lacrosse are sports - you only communicate to tell eachother who's covering which angle or who's going for the downed ball. I think that everyone who wargames plays for the social part of it. We're nerds, we're a very small subculture and therefore we all band together around our common interest. My LGS is like my living room, and most of the people in it are my friends.

The other reason that I play (moreso Fantasy) is that I'm fascinated by all of the options, and the constant evolution of the game. Despite the social aspect, I'm a very competitive gamer. I spend hours crunching numbers and trying to squeeze every inch of performance out of my army. I treat them just like I treat my car - I tweak a little bit here, change a part out over there, and use the science and math to hone the entire thing down to a razor's edge. Then I go test it out, which usually entails flying by the seat of your pants. You come back to it later and think "wow, that didn't work out for me, I need to change XYZ to dial it in." I've had arguments that bordered on the philosophical about whether or not it was a good idea to add 5 models to a regiment. I've discussed over-all tactics, whether there's any merit to the VP-Denial game, or if you should accept your losses and attempt a victory by force.

It's the same reason I'm on LO honestly, and why I've risen so far in the community. I came here to learn after spending a few years just playing aimlessly. I wanted to become a better player. Over time, I met other LOers that I'd consider friends, and also learned a lot about the game. Now I can respond confidently to most questions - I've written a few guides and tacticas, and I'm occasionally considered one of "the guys to ask" in some of the parts of the forum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wanted to play Space Crusade... It went pear shaped and I bought armies... :S

Also I have a brother who plays 40k and his oldest son plays as well.

I just like playing games though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Space Crusade another tabletop game?
It was an adventure board game a bit like a Space Hulk basic, released by Milton Bradley and Games Workshop with the 40k licence. Ultramarines, Blood Angels and/or Imperial Fists invaded space hulks and fought Chaos Forces made up of orks, gretchins(grots), chaos knights (chaos marines), chaos androids (Necrons in appearance), Genestealers and a Dreadnought armed with 2 bolters and its choice of 2 heavy weapons chosen from an Assault Cannon, Plasma cannon or Missile launcher.

They released 2 more add ons I think, Mission Dreadnought, which added in more heavy weapons and more dreadnought types. And Eldar Attack which added an Eldar unit and and their psychic powers.

In some countries it was called Star Quest, it was the sister game to HeroQuest.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It was an adventure board game a bit like a Space Hulk basic, released by Milton Bradley and Games Workshop with the 40k licence. Ultramarines, Blood Angels and/or Imperial Fists invaded space hulks and fought Chaos Forces made up of orks, gretchins(grots), chaos knights (chaos marines), chaos androids (Necrons in appearance), Genestealers and a Dreadnought armed with 2 bolters and its choice of 2 heavy weapons chosen from an Assault Cannon, Plasma cannon or Missile launcher.

They released 2 more add ons I think, Mission Dreadnought, which added in more heavy weapons and more dreadnought types. And Eldar Attack which added an Eldar unit and and their psychic powers.

In some countries it was called Star Quest, it was the sister game to HeroQuest.
oh man that brings back memories.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts