Librarium Online Forums banner

Wiki & LOchat

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Blackhat 
#1 ·
We have just installed a Wiki for Librarium Online and you can access it at Librarium Online Wiki

We also have found a new java irc client to connect to #LOchat. This one can be found in the menu above on the blue button called chat :)

The domain librarium-chat.com have now also been redirected to the same page. The chat is still the same as ever, we just changed the way to access it from the web.

The wiki can also be used to explain how certain functions on the LO domain works.

#2 ·
Cool idea, Blackhat. I've noticed on some other forums that when you type up an abbreviation in your post, it appears in a different colour/font/etc. and when you mouse over it, a little window pops up showing what the common definitions of that abbreviation are.

i.e., if I were to type up CCW, I could mouse over it and it would say "close combat weapon." I think that would be a neat feature to have on LO, if at all possible, and sort of goes hand in hand with the wiki.

#6 ·
I used to run a Wiki for my workplace before we 'upgraded' to a program called Clearspace. Stupid move on their part, IMO.

Wiki is very powerful if you know how to use it, and luckily, it's rather simple to learn and use. If I ever get some time I'll try to add onto it as best I can.

#7 ·
My first point is what is the point of the portal when you cant get to the other pages? The community portal on it links to something about chat which is useless when trying to just find general page info.

Secondly, who is actually going to maintain this? The forum mods need to stick to the forums as their duty not focus on the wiki.

What is the aim of the wiki? WHat it is going to fulfil that the forum or pages on the site can't?

There is no point for a wiki if no one knows what the aim is behind it. It will jsut get clogged up with random information that nobody really needs.

That's all from me.

#8 ·
Way to be contributive, Pickle.

I think right now the wiki is sort of a toy for people to get used to having, until we're all familiar enough with it to go ahead and give it more of a purpose.

Plus, aren't the point of wikis in general to be edited by the common member? I see no reason why the members of the forum can't be the ones maintaining the wiki itself.

#10 · (Edited)
Really, Pickle, I think you're under the wrong impression about the time us mods have to spend in our forums ;). Plus, wiki is a community-based site, so it's maintenance would come not only from the mod team, but also members and non-members alike.

How wiki might help LO: Let's say someone is surfing the net for 40K info, and up pops a wiki entry for LO. Suddenly, there's an easy way for people to have a quick synopsis of what we're about, the games we cover, and something about our history.

Side: Ever look up 'aardvark' on wiki? It has some pretty interesting facts. Did you know that in English-speaking countries, the aardvark enjoys unusual notoriety, since it is typically the first noun in the dictionary, and the first illustrated entry? Or, perhaps you'd be interested in Hausa magicians, who make a charm from the heart, skin, forehead, and nails of this poor creature.

#12 ·
I've already made myself an article :) Did it a few days ago actually lol.

It may be a good idea to have someone on the lookout for people writing inappropriate things there, but its nothing the forum mods cant handle i'm sure. Have a bit more faith in us Pickle.

It is unlikely that LO Wiki will open up any new Mod positions if that's what you're getting at btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.