Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have ordered a winged hive tyrant for my army and it arrives in 2 days. I was wondering what kind of battle modifications i should put on him (I have NOT got 2 sets of sything talons for him so thats out of the question.)
The points on him doesnt really matter though id rather him not exceed the 220 mark... I was thinking of going rending claws+sything talons on him but what biomorphs would contemplate them?
My army is currently 2000 strong i think and i will be using him in place of either my tyrant+guard retinue or my broodlord and geansteeler (And the steelers will go to troops.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
R1p70r said:
I have ordered a winged hive tyrant for my army and it arrives in 2 days. I was wondering what kind of battle modifications i should put on him (I have NOT got 2 sets of sything talons for him so thats out of the question.)
The points on him doesnt really matter though id rather him not exceed the 220 mark... I was thinking of going rending claws+sything talons on him but what biomorphs would contemplate them?
My army is currently 2000 strong i think and i will be using him in place of either my tyrant+guard retinue or my broodlord and geansteeler (And the steelers will go to troops.)
I recomend getting ahold of more scything talons. Order them from GW or get some from Ebay. In my experience, the best Tyrant hands down is a winged one with 2 sets of scything talons. I have used other versions and have had more success with that version. If you still dont want the talons...I still recomend keeping him a CC Tyrant. If your gonna go a shooty Tyrant keep the one with the guards.

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i was thinking the rending claws as i see it a waste to buy another montrous arms sprue just for the talons... he is mainly there to keep my sypanse up so i just need him to be able to defend himself.
Also since he is not abelt to take extended carapace is it worth me getting warp field?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do not put rending claws on your hive tyrant. It ignores armor saves and has such a high strength they are kinda pointless. If you get warriors or a carnifex they both come with a large set of scything talons. If you are completly against that try giving it lash whip and bonesword. People say it isnt good but if you put him in the middle of your swarm or next to something with really low I (like rippers) it can be very useful.
Since your tyrant is winged, definetly take warpfield. Although the invulnerable save is bad, a 2+ is so much better than a 3+. It is also really funny to see your opponents faces when you make your invulnerable save.
Hope this helps.

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know aout the warriors and hive tyrant for the scything talons but i cannot find my spare sprue peices that i had before... i already have lashwhip and bonesword on my walking tyrant (I personally find them good due to the lashwhips -1 enemy attacks.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
For your walking tyrant, I suggest a venom cannon and some guards. The vennom cannon gives you 3 S8 shots and although you cant get penatrating hits, you can stop the vehicle shooting for a turn.

·
Registered
953 Posts
warmaster89 said:
Do not put rending claws on your hive tyrant. It ignores armor saves and has such a high strength they are kinda pointless.
Rending Claws on a flying Tyrant isn't a bad idea if you ever want it to hit tanks. The monstrous creature rule and Rending Claws are cumulative when attacking vehicles so if you roll a 6 to hit with a Tyrant with Rending Claws it will roll STR + 3D6 for penetration. This makes the Hive Tyrant by far the most effective tank killer in the game. With 5 attacks on the charge you have a good chance of rolling at least one 6. How many other models can you find that can potentially penetrate an armor value of 22!!! The average roll of 3D6 is 10.5 giving you a penetration of AV14 on average!

Before anyone starts complaining about it check out the Tyranid FAQ on the GW US site. It's there in plain English.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'd rather just have more attacks. The most common roll on 2d6 is 7, which added to a Tyrant's usual Strength of 6 is 13. With six attacks on the charge, it'll more than likely be able to penetrate any tank's armour (other than a Monolith, of course).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know you said that you dont have an extra set of scything talons, but it really isnt that hard to get them and you do get a set of rending claws with that sprue so if you need one set for your warriors or something there ya go.

My current winged Tyrant configuration is: Scythingx2, Wings, Warp field, Toxic Miasma, Toxin Sacs=184pts. This thing beat up a Chaos Dreadnought(4 out of 6 pen hits on the charge), swept into a squad of six Slannesh marines. Ate them alive, and while he was in battle with them, took out a Greaters Demon of slannesh(I think thats what he was since he was proxying a Balrog model.) Can you really say you need something more than that from a 184pt model?

Other than getting another set, throw a barbed strangler or venom cannon on it. they are more expensive and without the BS biomorph, you hit half the time. Drop the Miasma, add the BS if you want to make it that much more hideous. Dropping str 5 Large Templates or 3 str8 cannon shots, is very nice especially when you can still have 4 attacks on the charge. Alittle more pricey but its up to you

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well, my HT has:

--wings
--acid maw
--adrenal glands WS+I
--implant attack
--toxin sacs
--toxic miasma
--2x scything talons
--flesh hooks
--Warp Field

I put some of those biomorphs on there just so I could call him an uber-tyrant of doomingness. Since my army is pure CC, and the best CC units are usually characters in a unit, I made him a character-killer. Just last week he did 6 wounds on a 240 pt. khorne lord. The Pirate King goes where the fighting is the toughest....alone :ninja:

·
Registered
815 Posts
A rather unorthodox but deadly combo on a winged tyrant is the following:

Wings (duh)
Tl - devourer
Tl - devourer (yes 2 sets of theses)
Enhanced senses
Toxin sacs
Warp Field
+ any other things u wanna slap on him, I go with increased I and increased WS ( WS6 I6 is too good to just give up)

Now, why i say unorthodox is because the point of a winged tyrant, traditionally is to get into CC ASAP and murder everything with its 5 attacks base. however, this combo is just as effective, if not more so. For the price of 2 attacks per turn, you're getting 12 BS4 reroll hit-reroll wound shots, then you charge, giving you another 4 attacks.

The math has been done to death and it is more effective, at least against meqs.

Try it and really suprise people!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tyrant builds

Winged - wings, toxin sacs, 2 ST, +WS, flesh hooks - 151 points.
Add warp field if you have the points. If you are going to take on Independant Characters add +init. Use this guy to get in fast and smash MEQ units. Be careful to avoid power fists & force weapons.

Assassin - wings, toxin sacs, 2 ST, +WS, +init, implant attack, flesh hooks - 178 points.
Add warp field if you have the points. Use this guy to kill librarians and tough characters. You are relying on a lethal charge attack to kill the victim before he fries your brain. With luck you can kill greater demons, Toxic Miasma can help. If you are going to take on high toughness creatures Acid Maw will be a good buy. Its probably best to avoid to avoid C'Tan and Wraithlords as rolling a 6 to wound is highly risky.

You have a lot of points tied up in one unit. You have to kill 10 standard marines to earn your points back. Don't get tied up in cheap units.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The only problem is if the enemy flees out of assault range after being shot at. . .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Close combat isn't that safe for monstrous creatures anymore with the abundance of powerfists and the safety of the squad. A devourer tyrant can often peel away the rest of the squad with two rounds of firepower and then crush the remaining guys. Same turn 2 strategy, just with more death.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It's safer than being out in the open. . .

·
Registered
699 Posts
ive tought about differnet combos and i dont like to make one model to expensive (tough ive tryed a carnifex @ 300+pts :D) and it accured to me that if i plan my charge just right there should not be any enemys to hit back at my tyrant. so is the 2+6++ really worth it? i could pop in 8 spine gaunst for that price.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Astroth said:
if i plan my charge just right there should not be any enemys to hit back at my tyrant.
Don't know about you, but I've never seen plans work 100% of the time...... And warp field is worth its weight in gold when you get caught out in the open with a 4-ML dev squad staring right at you.

Even against regular basic weaponry, saving on a 2+ is much better than a 3+.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts