Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just 2 quick questions - do Hive Tyrants with Wings count as jump infantry as well as monstrous creatures, or does the 6" bonus just disappear? And if they Deep Strike, can they move or assault.

I ask the latter question as my friend has my rulebook. I am having a game later today, so any replies ASAP would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
The Warlord

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Yes. A winged Hive Tyrant counts as both a monstrous creature and jump infantry. So it moves 12 inches, ignore terrain as it moves etc. Remember that the jump pack rule was not made only for infantry, it is just most common on infantry. Therefore a Hive Tyrant will get an increased move like everybody else.

No a winged Hive Tyrant cannot assault or move in the same turn that it deepstrikes onto the table and it must wait until your next turn like all jump models before it can move and or assault. Remember it is subject to the same restrictions as any other model. It may shoot normally.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
They arnt jump infantry AND Monstrous creatures, theyre just MC's that move like jump infantry. Deep strike as standard cant move or assault.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Actually, the Tyrant does NOT count as Jump Infantry. It is still a Monstrous Creature and nothing but a Monstrous Creature. While it gains all the Movement abilities of Jump Infantry it doesn't change the status of what the model actually "is".

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they worth it?

OK, so, a Hive Tyrant is a monstrous creature, but when equipped with wings, it gains the special bonuses for jump infantry, but still remains a monstrous creature.

Now, for another question, just out of curiosity - Are Winged Hive Tyrants worth the extra 60 points?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
YES! So much faster, which is really important if your trying to assult with him, and really you dont lose much in terms of points because that 60 should really be spent on a Tyrant guard anyway of hes walking. Its a trade off, survivability for speed and really whichever suits your list more.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
They are if you know what you are going to do with them. Beware, they are serious fire magnets and will get blown to bits very quickly if not protected by other units infront for cover saves.

They are very useful though. Often they come in two popular types. The winged Dakka Tyrant. It has two pairs of twinlinked devourers and can shoot up lots of people and then assault.

The other type is one with two pairs of scything talons, toxin sacs, adrenal glands and an implant attack. They are very killy and good at hunting down characters.

All winged Hive Tyrants are good at providing synapse control for faster models like Gargoyles and Hormagaunts which race off ahead of the rest of the swarm.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
He wasn't familiar with the rules for toxin sacs on S6 monsters. Now that he is, I'm sure he'll take them off his TMC's. The only exception is the tervigon, as his primary job is to buff up his gants with poisoned attacks.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you equip a model with toxin sacs, do you have to use poisoned attacks, or is it optional? Don't know why you'd put it on a S6 creature anyway...

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Don't Worry Leech, I do it too :p
Sometimes, when I go to write a list I automatically give some of my creatures toxin sacs and both adrenal glands in their points. Then, after realizing that I have a TON of points dumped into things, I look back and smack my 4th edition head back into 5th.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Don't Worry Leech, I do it too :p
Sometimes, when I go to write a list I automatically give some of my creatures toxin sacs and both adrenal glands in their points. Then, after realizing that I have a TON of points dumped into things, I look back and smack my 4th edition head back into 5th.
Good to hear I'm not the only one who does that. Though most of my monstrous creatures have toxin sacs on them, if I decide not to use them and don't pay for them, do you think an opponent will throw a hissy-fit?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I should damn well hope not leech, for one i dont think anyone can actually tell what your stuff has its so heavily converted and generally awsome :)

But siriously i dont think so, tournies may be a bit picky, no-one else will.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Good to hear I'm not the only one who does that. Though most of my monstrous creatures have toxin sacs on them, if I decide not to use them and don't pay for them, do you think an opponent will throw a hissy-fit?
Nah. No one would even notice....outside of the hardcore Nid players. Guns/weapons....maybe, but not biomorphs. Even still, I've never heard any one to be so anal that he'll force you to use what you have modeled on. If you use a wargear but don't model it on....maybe. But if you model it on but don't use it, no one will complain.

Reactions: Leech

·
249 Posts
i sure as heck didn't bother to model toxin sacs and adrenal glands onto things. the AGs look dopey, and toxin sacs far too fiddly :s

1 - 20 of 26 Posts