Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, call me a heretic, but I've always loved this model and i wouldn't mind starting an Iron Warriors army after my DA.

I still have a fair bit to do to him at the moment. This will probably happen over the weekend.

Last one will have to be a link because it won't allow me to resize it for some reason... :$

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee152/inquisitorsmith/DSC00026-1.jpg

The leg bionics had to be scratch built as I lifted up the leg to rest on the hapless Red Scorpion veteran.
The backpack and servo-arm are being re-done as well. I shall be using a plastic Chaos marine backpack and the servo arm will involve chainsword bitz...0: The little white bit coming out the front of the war hammer will have flames sculpted on. If I can sculpt 'em that is! lol

I will get better pictures over the weekend after I have done some more work to him, but at the moment..what do ya think?

:happy:

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Looks rather good to me, the base is great stuff =). The warhammer looks rather awesome too, just hope you can sculpt some great looking flames coming out of it and that it doesnt end up looking uber-cheesy. Loving the servo work too 8Y!

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nearly done...

The model is pretty much finished except for a few small details such as sculpting some form of trim for his otherwise bald head(sorry, no spartan style I'm afraid Izzinatah:p)
I hope you like the servo arm. It took me ages to figure how to do it, heh, heh

Danjones87- I did consider modeling him as an Imperial fists marine, but unfortunately I didn't have any IF specific parts so I used what I had to hand(Red Scorpions for those who don't know) The piece of black paperclip coming out of the war hammer will be where the flames are sculpted. I'll have to wait until I've finished my exams before I do any more work. (24th! :drinking:)

If anyone would like a list of parts used or how i made something please feel free to ask:)

Comments and criticism welcome...and wanted, lol! Hope you enjoy my Warsmith! all i need now is some good weather to spray him in...

·
Bork! Bork! Bork!
416 Posts
I dig it!

WoW! That servo arm really makes this model stand out! I love it, its going to be one tough cookie to paint though. And one question, what exactly is hi staff supposed to be, it looks like a rocket launching, mine detecting crab flail.

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WoW! That servo arm really makes this model stand out! I love it, its going to be one tough cookie to paint though. And one question, what exactly is hi staff supposed to be, it looks like a rocket launching, mine detecting crab flail.
If I'm thinking correctly about the painting comment, you may be wrong... the body is detachable from the base, both arms are pinned on so I can take them off during painting and the backpack with servo arm is pinned too.

He has a war hammer in his right hand. I wanted him to have a thunder hammer in effect, but as thunder hammers aren't a piece of chaos equipment it'll have to count as power weapon. Also, it's just spikes coming out of the rear and I will be representing the master-crafted upgrade by modeling flames coming off the hammer head.

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whilst I wait a week before I start sculpting I shall tell you something uninteresting...

When I took a few minis(warsmith interragator chaplain and veteran w/ 2 bolt pistols) to my local GW hobby centre, it got quite a few admiring comments from the staff.I was pretty much told that I have better sculpting and conversion skills than most of the staff!

Anywho, that's it for now, lol!

P.s. I have been thinking about what Izzinatah said regarding the Spartan style head plume. I honestly think I'll give it a go! I don't see why not and it'll increase my sculpting skills even more. Yay!:) By the way, if it goes down well Izzinatah, you're getting repped...

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
I gotta say, that is one fething awesome model. Fantastic job! The idea for the servo-arm was truly inspired, although it looks a bit crooked in some of the pictures.
Instead of a Spartan plume, why not try horns, or a simple topknot?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Awesome model! Simply awesome. Excellent bits choices; I especially love the gargoyle head and melta-bomb thunder hammer. The pose is well executed, and the basing is superb; the marine really looks like he was gunned/hacked down and splayed out.

First of all, the bionics: I MUST know how you did them! I am converting an Iron-Hands style SM chapter which heavily uses bionics. I've resorted to buying the IH parts and select necromunda bionics. What materials did you use? How did you put it together? Was there a method or tool? Any tips?

The only major piece of crit I Have for you would be this: The spiky bit at the end of the hammer seems a bit unwieldy, especially being on the back of the hammer, since it looks like it would catch his armor while he was swinging it around. Either transfer the spikes to the front, cut down the size of the spikes, or just plain getting rid of them. I would say, personally, to remove them, to give the weapon the same visual profile as the Thunder Hammer. The gargoyle face and melta bomb are PERFECT for the hammer, as you have it doubled as a 'flamethrower'. Excellent choice as far as bits.

You might want to consider adding some battle damage to the downed Red Scorpion, so it looks like the warsmith royally messed him up before be-heading him. Also, add some greenstuff 'blood and gore' coming from the bottom of the helmet and out of the collar.

When taking your next batch of pics, try shining a lamp on it instead of using your flash, it tends to wash out the models if you use the flash.

Well, hope that helped some! Let me know about the bionics, alright?

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
That is one hell of a nice servo arm.

Man, your conversion is tempting me to go to my friend's house and yank back my chaos models and remake a IW army.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
I agree with Son of the Forge. The spikes on the warhammer do seem a bit excessive and unwieldy.

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all comments dudes! 8Y

After reading the comments I've decided to go with some of your suggestions and have removed the spiky bits from the war hammer. It now has one central mounted spike on the top.

Regarding the head...I did explore the possibility of putting horns on his head, but it would seem to conflict with the backpack. One idea I have is to make a mohican(how do you spell it?) blade. However I might just stick some spikes on there and give it a greenstuff trim.

Obviously I plan to had some battle damage to the Red Scorpion guy and I'm thinking of trying to have some spinal cord and blood vessels come out of his helmet, what do ya think?

The bionics were made out of the following: plastic rod(0.8mm & 1.6mm), alluminium tubing which formed the center piston,some brass picture hanging wire(unraveled it makes realistic cabling) and some guitar wire(Emperor knows what gauge, I just had it lying around on my desk!)
My advice is, getting the right length is pretty important as it's easy over-do the length and ending up with a limping marine! However 2 reasons why it doesn't matter. 1. It's a BIONIC leg. 2. It's Chaos. Adhering to the laws of physics is not a strong point in their beliefs! Also make sure when putting the central piece of rod/tubing in, I found it good to pin it in as it gives a strong join. All the small pistons and cabling can then be built around this to give whatever size bionic limb you want. Any gaps at the ends can easily be covered with greenstuff. I hope that helps!:)

Seeing as I've had my last exam for January today :drinking: I will be able to do some more work on this guy over the next few days. However don't expect any pictures until Sunday/Monday! Also, I'll try out that lighting thing, thanks8Y

'Till next time! :happy:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.