Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I always wanted rough riders in my guard army. They're a cool concept to me and they're the most effective counter assault unit the guard can muster (in fact they're the only effective counter assault unit at the disposal of the Imperial Guard.

Of course I had a big problem, namely GW's rough rider models suck (ok, well the Tallarns are ok... well, just about ok... but they don't fit the look of my army)... on top of that, they're stupidly expensive even by GW standards and even to someone who expects to spend stupid amounts of cash on an IG force.

What to do?

The more I looked at GW's range the more I realized that, not only do the rough riders suck, but basically all of their cavalry suck prior to the new Bretonians and the new wood elves. I'd seen some cool conversions using Brets and the wood elves had potential, there was the old standby of cold one mounts too of course but what I really wanted was something altogether diferent and "alien".

Anyway... here's what I have so far. There's still a lot of greenstuff work to do on tack, bridle, etc. and I definitely have to work out what I'm doing with the lance.

The first of my rough riders on his vakratsi...

·
Registered
55 Posts
wow they are awesome. Did you use horse bodies and change the heads and tails with 'warg' parts, or are they completely warg? only thing i can recommend would be to add.. like.. (lol trying to work out how to explain this).. dog/cat paw prints on the soles of their feet and perhaps little claws.. tho theyd look perfectly fine without.. lol good work i like them alot..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shanos said:
wow they are awesome. Did you use horse bodies and change the heads and tails with 'warg' parts, or are they completely warg? only thing i can recommend would be to add.. like.. (lol trying to work out how to explain this).. dog/cat paw prints on the soles of their feet and perhaps little claws.. tho theyd look perfectly fine without.. lol good work i like them alot..
It's wood elf horses with warg heads and tails. I'd originally thought of giving them cloven hooves and horns, but the one I tried like that looked like a mutant goat. My plan is to keep the hooves and I want to try as much as possible to make them "alien" herbivores, so I'm cutting down the canivore teeth to something which actually makes them facially more like a camel. I don't think it's really very realistic to ride something that will eat you the first chance it gets!

·
Registered
55 Posts
aw i dunno, i reckon if they were carnivorous theyd b useful for joining in on the combat by biting and attacking the enemy (i read something about some warhorses behaving like that), but i guess making them herbivore would be more alien; i was thinking of making rough riders mounted on lions or wolves, but gave it up deciding they'd be too small to mount, and if they were big theyd be too hard to tame (so now that i think about it your right herbivores would make more sense lol)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Those look great :)

I don't know if you succeeded in making them cheaper though; 6 warg riders for 12£, woodelf steeds for 2£ each, plus the guardsman. That's on average 4£ plus the rider to replace a 5£ model :)
They look a lot better than the originals though, and at least it's better than the Konversion Klinic kit (81.60 for 3 :x)

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Yeah the animal's heads are ugly, perhaps put visors on them? Because they all look like they have Down Syndrome. DAM YOU EXTRA CHROMSOME 21!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tubal said:
I don't know if you succeeded in making them cheaper though; 6 warg riders for 12£, woodelf steeds for 2£ each, plus the guardsman. That's on average 4£ plus the rider to replace a 5£ model :)
They look a lot better than the originals though, and at least it's better than the Konversion Klinic kit (81.60 for 3 :x)
Well, they may not be cheaper... but they're better value for money since they don't look terrible! Though to be fair, it's not the riders that I have a huge problem with on the rough riders, it's the horses... the riders juat don't fit my theme.

LictorInTheGrass said:
Yeah the animal's heads are ugly, perhaps put visors on them?
I really like the look... they have the small eyes and head shape of something like a sloth and actually, many herbivores without many predators have small eyes, so it works for me.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,847 Posts
I'm not sure why but I'd be tempted to put small horns on the mounts heads- just little ones like camels or giraffes. Do you read Ian Banks? One of his books has a cavalry attack by some wierd cat/horse/alien things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The Paint monkey said:
I'm not sure why but I'd be tempted to put small horns on the mounts heads- just little ones like camels or giraffes. Do you read Ian Banks? One of his books has a cavalry attack by some wierd cat/horse/alien things.
I tried them originally with little horns (to reinforce their non-carnivore aspect) and they looked like weird mutant goats, but I might just need to get better horns. Giraffe horns is not a bad idea, thanks, I'll try that.

Oh... yeah. Love Banks. I've read everything he's written. It's why my Russes are named Attitude Adjuster, Extreme Predjudice and Ask Questions Later.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,847 Posts
Cool. 'Against a dark background' has the cavalry monsters. As far as the models go I'd think about putting a few equipment things mounted on the beasts. It will give them a more autonomous, scout type feel and make them a bit more domesticated and military. They look cool, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The legs are the upper legs up to the waist of the Empire mounted commander from the Empire command sprue with Cadian legs from the knee down. Of course all the future ones will have to be done with greenstuff as I'll be damned if I'm going to buy 5 Empire command sprues just for that one bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the mounts!
They really look dynamic. And I really like the round cavalry bases you have made. The eyes on the heads are a bit weird and the gogles/bionics idea might work here (bionically altered carbivore might be an idea worth exploring). The one thing I dont really like is the way the guardsman is sitting in the saddle. He is way too static for such a flimsy saddle / fast pace the animal is going.

Ziggi

·
The Fallen
7,906 Posts
I like the mounts, they do look dynamic, the riders dont though, perhaps if you try dipping the lances a bit? they just look like they are on parade which doent fit with the dynamic mount.
The other think I would reconsider is the shield, this type of riot shield is shaped and designed to lock together to create a barrier, that clearly doesnt apply to rough riders

·
Registered
205 Posts
Plisken said:
It's wood elf horses with warg heads and tails. I'd originally thought of giving them cloven hooves and horns, but the one I tried like that looked like a mutant goat. My plan is to keep the hooves and I want to try as much as possible to make them "alien" herbivores, so I'm cutting down the canivore teeth to something which actually makes them facially more like a camel. I don't think it's really very realistic to ride something that will eat you the first chance it gets!
SUMMON THE IMPERIAL GOATS!!!!

muwah!

Awesome model man - you should be proud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheredanine said:
I like the mounts, they do look dynamic, the riders dont though, perhaps if you try dipping the lances a bit? they just look like they are on parade which doent fit with the dynamic mount.
The other think I would reconsider is the shield, this type of riot shield is shaped and designed to lock together to create a barrier, that clearly doesnt apply to rough riders
Yeah, I agree with the comment on the riders pose and it's something I'll definitely be working on with the other five.

The idea for the shield was taken from one of the regiments pictured in the old codex (and I have a ton of them lying around). I think I'll be dropping them altogether as they're hard to justify in any case.

·
The Fallen
7,906 Posts
It mayu be feasibel to give them a round shield made from a small drawing pin head, that may look batter

As well as dipping the lance, clasically when riders become unbalanced they will lean forward more in the saddle, I watched my missus do this often enough (there goes all my good work on valentines day), also there an activity done by riders when they lose their balance known as "Hailing a cab" - waving your arm around to try and get your balance back, you could have some doing that with the lance hand

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheredanine said:
It mayu be feasibel to give them a round shield made from a small drawing pin head, that may look batter

As well as dipping the lance, clasically when riders become unbalanced they will lean forward more in the saddle, I watched my missus do this often enough (there goes all my good work on valentines day), also there an activity done by riders when they lose their balance known as "Hailing a cab" - waving your arm around to try and get your balance back, you could have some doing that with the lance hand
Thanks for the help. I need to greestuff things like the saddle and stirrups and this will be my first real attempt to do anything "sharp" with greenstuff... so I'm kinda putting it off a little.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.