Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to re-verify this for my own info as much as anything else.

In the witchhunters Codex, it references that allied Space Marine units are purchased from Codex: Space Marines. This reference is still valid towards the 5th Edition Codex correct?

·
Registered
593 Posts
as far as I can tell, it's still called Codex: Space Marines

that means you can still use the units listed in the WH codex. If the names aren't the same, you can't use them. For Space Marines, I'm not sure much really changed.

You can't use Sisters of Battle in the force if you induct SM's though.

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
Yep. and it hold up in a tournament because none of the names of the units changed from 4th to 5th edition of the codex.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
If you're going to go that route, you almost always come up with a better army by playing Space Marines and allying in Witch Hunters. The only reason to do it as WH would be if you wanted like some Penitent Engines or something.

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
The new IG Stormies aren't legal to take, they're not on the list of Inducted Guard units you can take (p26 of the WH Codex).

Marines are still legal to take, and what's more you can take a squad of Scouts with Telion or stick Brother Chronus in one of your Smurf tanks, because they're upgrade characters for the unit. You can't take Sisters and Allied Smurfs in the same WH list though, so if you're doing it I'd suggest making the Smurfs your base list and using your WH as allies unless you want to take more than 1 Sisters Heroine or something.

·
Hominus Nocturnum
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have to admit a lot of it is flavor for me. I like the idea of an inquisitor going into battle with some priests, and squads of allied space marines drawn from several chapters. I know play-wise they aren't as strong but I think i'm also going to use Adeptus Arbites for my comp. troops choices as well.

The other thing I'm curious about is the exorcist, in the list it says you cant take space marines and Adeptus Sororitas units. In the witch hunters special rules it defines which units count as adeptus sororitas. The Immolator specifically says it cant be included wihtout sisters, but what about the Exorcist? It's crewed by battle sisters, yet it doesn't have the adeptus sororitas special rule.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Exorcist is a Ministorum thing, I believe, same as the Penitent Engines and the Arcoflagellants.
Not really. When you look at the exorcist entry you'll see that the crew is battle sisters, not gurads men or anything. Also in James Swallows "Faith & Fire" (basically the only SoB book around) they're among normal sister forces, not answering to the ministorum.

But yeah, rule-wise it's not in the Adeptus Sororitas terminology as stated on p. 24 WH Codex.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just to make sure but what Affe said confuses me.
" If you're going to go that route, you almost always come up with a better army by playing Space Marines and allying in Witch Hunters. The only reason to do it as WH would be if you wanted like some Penitent Engines or something. "

Now my question, if you play Space Marines you can't ally with Witch Hunters can you?
They don't have any ally rules in their dex.
I'm just trying to make sure.

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
It doesn't specify what units you can or cannot take, it just tells you which Force Org chart slots you can fill using WH units.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Fluff is irrelevant for those that play to win at all costs. You can always choose to set up your army fluff-wise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts