Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warriors of Chaos vs. Lizardmen (1500 points)

We played a simple straight up battle. His list consisted of a level 2 Skink Priest with 3 High Magic spells (turns out this was illegal), TWO Bastiladons with that very nasty bound magic missile, 30 Temple Guard (Razor Standard), a unit of 8 Cold One cavalry, and three groups of skink skirmishers with javelins. His spells were: Hand of Glory, Soul Quench, Arcane Unforgiving.
My list:

Lord
Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch (level 4)
  • Talisman of Preservation
  • Chaos Familiar
  • Third Eye
  • Enchanted Shield
  • Iron Curse Icon
Hero
Festus

Core
17 Warriors of Tzeentch (shields)
  • Standard & Musician
  • Banner of Discipline
17 Warriors of Nurgle (shields & halberds)
  • Standard & Musician
  • Banner of the Eternal Flame
5 warhounds

Rare
Hellcannon

I rolled Treason, Bolt, Glean, and Gateway for the Lord and Plague Wind & Miasma for Festus. I finished deploying first and rolled a six so I started first.

Now here's the thing, he was expecting my footslogger list to advance, but armed with superior magic and a cannon I decided I could play the sit-back and Pew-Pew game myself.

TURN 1 WoC
Setting the tone, the hellcannon rolls a 10 for its ld. test and thunders 14 inches forward, so much for shooting this turn. I send my hounds out to redirect his knights who are threatening to come around my flanks. His skinks I just ignore, and since I have the upper hand with ranged firepower, I sit back and wait for magic. Very stupid of me since I’m just outside 24” range so my Tzeentch missiles are useless. I turn to Festus to carry the day with plague wind. It only kills 5 skinks, but he rolls a six for the signature attribute afterwards and gets +1T/1W – so it’s not a complete loss.

TURN 1 Lizardmen
He charges the blocking hounds, who flee and evade him by 1". For some reason he hides some skinks behind a building, while his general moves into a poisonous thicket, but he only loses a single skink and he is already poisonous. I manage to keep his magic shut down with my level 4, but the bastiladons both get the signature spells off on my Hellcannon, which, amazingly, survives with my Chaos Dwarfs rolling 6's for their armor saves.

TURN 2 WoC
My hounds fail to reform and keep on running, but not far. I shuffle up a bit and move to magic. Bolt of Change takes out a bastiladon, but Gateway does only 1 wound to the Temple Guard and gives them a 6+ regen save. The shooting is a blowout with the hellcannon failing to hit anything.

TURN 2 Lizardmen
His Cold One cavalry decide to run down the hounds, and the skinks near the building move a bit and a take some pot shots at my Tzeentch Warriors but fail to score even a single wound. Other skinks shoot the Hellcannon, but again, no cigar. The skink priest gives his Temple Guard Hand of Glory for WS7, only just loses arcane to my dispell but then fails to cast Soul Quench, and is forced to use his bound spell from his remaining bastiladon, but no double 6's so I shut it down easily with my level 4.

TURN 3 WoC
I misfire with my Hellcannon and charge into the Temple Guard. I move my warriors up a bit to threaten his general. Hellcannons might be crappy shots, but they are godly monsters and it smashes into the Temple Guard taking out 5 without a single wound in return. Then I steal Hand of Glory with Glean Magic, blast his skinks with Bolt doing a wound to his general. The Hellcannon become a monstrous ninja with WS7 thanks to Hand of Glory. I think I picked up about 4 power dice, and miscast once, but it didn't wound either Festus or my General.

Turn 3 Lizardmen
Knights come around to set up their charge, the Hellcannon continues to happily munch through the Temple Guard, who fail their steadfast and flee off the table. The bastiladon again fails to roll double 6's so it's shut down and the skinks continue to try to wound something. Magic is a disaster for him, Soul Quench does nothing to my Tzeentch Warriors.

Turn 4 WoC
Hellcannon charges into a group of skins, who fail to wound it with their stand and shoot, and break needing insane courage. Nurgle Warriors turn to face Cold Ones. Bolt kills off the other bastiladon and the skink priest's unit eats Gateway at S10 and dies very quickly.

Turn 4 Lizardmen
The cavalry finally charge, but Festus forces the champ to drink poison and gains +1S from the EotG. Warriors rip through the unit like it's made of paper leaving only 3 left, all of whom fail to wound. We call it game.

Final Thoughts: A brutal win against a pretty inexperienced Lizardman player, so nothing to brag about there at all. I feel like I brought a Wrecking Ball to a game of Conkers. The bastiladon's bound spell is really nice, but Bolt of Tzeentch seems tailor-made for killing those things. When Tzeentch is going bad, it's CRAPTASTIC, but one good round of magic can shatter an opponent, especially if he is a lower level caster and you are picking up free power dice all the time. The boosted version of Soul Quench looks scary, if it can get through. The Hellcannon was a beast and should have died several times, but it was very lucky, WS7 Monster with T6 a 5++ save is pretty nasty indeed,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Warriors of Chaos vs. Lizardmen (1500 points). The Hellcannon was a beast and should have died several times, but it was very lucky, WS7 Monster with T6 a 5++ save is pretty nasty indeed,
And 4+ Armor :)

Nice report! Did any of the scenary influence the game at all or they just didn't have any special effect? Do you guys use those special features?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just the mysterious forest, the rest was mundane stuff, though he did get a charge bonus from the hill - we wanted to keep it simple because there wasn't a lot of time to play.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Did any of the scenary influence the game at all or they just didn't have any special effect?
I take it you weren't counting the blue bits of board as water... Shame for the Skinks!

A brutal win against a pretty inexperienced Lizardman player, so nothing to brag about there at all. I feel like I brought a Wrecking Ball to a game of Conkers.
So, what do you think your opponent did wrong? Was the game decided in list-building?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, what do you think your opponent did wrong? Was the game decided in list-building?
If I were him, I would have shot the hounds with a magic missile and focused on tying up a warrior unit with the Temple Guard. That would have left 2 bastiladons and his Cold Ones to either flank charge or engage the other unit. Skinkis should be focused redirecting and annoying the main warrior blocks from combo charging anything.

Basically he should have ignored the hounds and advanced, that would have kept him safer from my missiles while leaving him free to shoot any unengaged units of mine.

It's counter-intuative though, when playing Warriors of Chaos, so he was probably following the general advice of his friends without realizing that I had a whopping 50% of my army tied up in characters & 'shooty' stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts