Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INTRO

Rolled into the LGS today expecting a tourney team battle, but unfortunately the weather was too good so everyone else decided to hit the beach instead. Only one other grizzled vet was there so we decided to roll a scenario and face off against each other. We both had Warriors of Chaos but our lists were very different and he had a supplemented his list with Chaos Dwarfs - it was Slaanesh vs. Khorne, Footsloggers vs. Cavalry, Magic vs. No Magic.

His list consisted of 20 or so Slaanesh Warriors led by Sigvald and a Slaanesh sorcerer with chaos familiar, dispell scroll, and skull of katam (illegal but it didn't matter since I had no magic). The second infantry block was a block of Chaos Dwarfs with shields, razor standard and a tough as nails character with T6 and 2+ armor and Dawnstone (illegally over the hero limit but it didn't matter in the end). Rounding it off were some unmarked knights with full command and lances. That game him two stubborn anvils, some tough CC characters, 3 spells for magic, and a small hammer, not to mention a LOT of points denial.

My list was no less brutal though:

Chaos Lord of Tzeentch
  • Crown of Command (e)
  • Great Weapon
  • Disc
  • Dragonhelm (a)
  • Talisman of Preservation (t)
  • Soul Feeder (g)
  • Third Eye (g)
  • Flaming Breath (g)
Khorne Chariot

Khorne Chariot

5 warhounds
  • vanguard
5 warhounds
  • vanguard
5 warhounds
  • vanguard
5 warhounds
  • vanguard
  • mutant poisons
9 Khorne Knights
  • Musician & Standard
  • Enchanted Weapons
  • Discipline
4 Skullcrushers
  • Full Command
  • Enchanted Weapons
  • Gleaming Pennant
TOTAL 1598

ROUND 1

We rolled Dawn Attack (I was terrified of getting Watchtower), but I had to deploy first. Luckily most of my army ended up in the middle (I rolled the hounds last) while his was split apart. For magic he got Hysterical Frenzy and Slicing Shards, and Phantasmagoria. I had first turn and had to shuffle quite a lot of hounds and things around to move forward, but the main thing was my lord faced off against his warrior block and he had nothing else in charge range to threaten me with. End of my turn pictured below:

His turn he swung his knights and Chaos Dwarfs around to threaten my flank and promptly garrisoned a nearby building (good luck taking that down with Chariots & Knights!). Then he rolled 7 on winds of magic and channeled twice with Skull of Katam - I cannot emphasize enough how great that item is on a non-general mage. I failed to dispell Phantasmagoria with 5 dice and my Lord took a hammering from slicing shards, twice, lost two wounds in the first round, and gave me a mild heart attack by surviving the second round of 5 wounds and finally passing his leadership test.

ROUND 2

I quickly fly my Lord away from the garrisoned house of deadliness and park in front of the knights and dwarfs instead. I then proceed to surround the house with warhounds (which leaves him trapped inside) and swing the entire line to the left to face his Chaos Dwarf and Knights. His turn he takes 2 wounds off a chariot with Slicing Shards and then fails to cast Hysterical Frenzy. With great reluctance he decides to charge my Lord with his lance knights, but I challenge his champion, survive all 3 S6 attacks and slaughter him with 2 overkill wounds, gaining a +1A from EotG and healing a wound - don't mess with Chaos Lords! :victory:

ROUND 3

I combo charge his Chaos Dwarfs with my Skull Crushers and Khorne Knights :highfive:, and swing the chariots into charging positions. My Lord chews apart all 4 of his knights and heals again to top him up with 3 wounds, fresh from the fight and reforming to flank charge the Chaos Dwarfs next turn. Meanwhile my Skullhunter takes on the Castalan, does 1 wound while taking no damage and the rest of the cavalry take a huge bite out of his infantry while only losing 1 wound in return - Juggernauts on the charge are truly scary! His turn he casts frenzy on my hounds in desperation, trying to break the Ring of Woof as we have come to call it, miscasts and blows up 5 warriors - 3 hounds are now frenzied.

ROUND 4

Hounds fail their restrain test and charge the house, while the Lord and Knights obliterate the Chaos Dwarfs (losing 1 Skullcrusher in the process). The Skullhunter adds the castalan's head to his trophy list and gets the free re-roll EotG result, and three hounds die very predictably to Sigvald. At this point he concedes, since he know that I will just run the rest of my army out of range and win on Victory Points.

ROUND-UP

He had some terrible deployment luck which was fatal against a fast moving army. Magic played a less than average role in the game, but Skull of Katam netted him 4 bonus dice in channeling so it's a great item that's for sure. My Lord & Cavalry pretty much carried out their roles to perfection. He was pretty surprised by both my list composition and the loss.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
great report Anti, and nice win. Castellans are a real pain as they're stupid good for the unit! nice pic of the table also :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
great report Anti, and nice win. Castellans are a real pain as they're stupid good for the unit! nice pic of the table also :)
Still only 2 wounds and on foot though and that means a Skullhunter has pretty good odds of taking him down.

Later, after the game, we had a little arena with Sigvald vs. Disc Lord. It was short and very humorous. Sigvald lay down a blizzard of attacks, all hitting, but most just bounced off the armor and the 2 that got through were nixed by the ward saves. I then killed him using just the breath weapon :sinister: and taunted him by saying (jokingly) that I didn't want him to suffer any real pain from my S7 Great Weapon!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
oh sure, they're a hero at the end of the day, but at least they make the unit stubborn for no extra cost - our heroes would be even sweeter if they had that trait. The mask of the furnace is pretty sweet too. I love the image of sigvald laying down a truckload of attacks only for the dust to clear and you're still standing wondering if he's done yet! lol!

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Congrats on the win Anti, although if I'm brutally honest I think the deployment thing killed his army as surely as you you did. He was screwed from the start as his units were isolated and easy pickings for a list like yours. Also spending dam near 1000pts on characters is just silly. He needs to come onto Lo for a little chat from the boys me thinks ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Congrats on the win Anti, although if I'm brutally honest I think the deployment thing killed his army as surely as you you did. He was screwed from the start as his units were isolated and easy pickings for a list like yours. Also spending dam near 1000pts on characters is just silly. He needs to come onto Lo for a little chat from the boys me thinks ;)
It's true, he's crazy about having stubborn anvil units and setting up counter flank-charges. He plays a similar strategy with his wood elves army too. Deployment was not his fault though, it was a random dice thing. I knew even before the first turn started that he was going to have an uphill battle, but he really sealed it by garrisoning the house with his Deathstar block.

That's what you get for playing points denial though - the game was over in less that 45 minutes.

On the other hand, that silly move has inspired me to field a small block of 20 Slaanesh marauders and a Firelord (with SKull of Katam & Ruby Ring) since it is perfect for putting in a tower (360 degree line of sight, only D6 hits from templates/miscasts, and immunity to panic). It also makes Watchtower a viable scenario too and helps with fortitude in Blood and Glory.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Yeah..... I hate that scenario. It's worse for Orcs and Goblins as you need to have everything within range of your General and sometimes he decides to come on 24" away from everything else. Yeah, great, thanks for that Mr Warboss.

That sounds pretty cool actually. Maybe give the Marauders Flails as combats only last 1 round in buildings (you break from combat or the enemy is pushed away).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done that with a unit of 30 Khorne marauders from the old book - it bounced a 800 point Ogre bus which included a Tyrant 4 times all on its own.

My opponent was pretty pissed off about the whole assaulting building rules. Flails are awesome for building defense.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I like the missile-silo Firelord, but it needs a leadership safe army to make it work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts