Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much akin to the famed Topic of the Week, I am interested to start a discussion about one of the most versatile units in the SW Codex -- perhaps even of all codices -- and hear what other player's think about them.

Lacking only (non-TDA) heavy weapons, Wolf Guard combine the ranged versatility of Sternguard via Storm Bolters and Combi-weapons, with the close combat ferocity of Vanguard. The veteran elites of the Space Wolves, they offer such a degree customization that few other units can compare. Indeed, they're capable of wargear combinations unseen in other codices.

Personally, I have not been a fan of over-equipping a unit since I encountered my friend's Vanguard Veterans, who are felled to massed gunfire just as easily as any other unit. Since then, I've favored a minimalistic design to my army lists; however, after some contemplation I am reconsidering my approach. It has been my stance that Wolf Guard, specifically Terminators, greatest strength is their low point-cost, and as such I have always tried to equip them with only as much as is needed to keep their cost as close as possible to 200(+/-)25 points per 5 WGT.

After being hit in the face with the realization that I could combine the strengths of other units, the only weakness being a hefty price tag, I decided to play test such a unit via proxy. And to amazing effect, although admittedly one battle is hardly enough to make any claims, as well this might have only been attributed to lucky dice rolls. The unit to be tested was (if I remember correctly) 275 points, and consisted of 5x Wolf Guard Terminators, 4x with a Wolf Claw and Storm Shield, and 1x with a Chainfist and Storm Shield. A solid chunk of points more than their vanilla Assault Terminator kin, they combine the best of both -- the durability of TH/SS with the fast infantry slaying madness of dual LC. Accompanied by a Terminator Wolf Priest and Redeemer w/ Multi Melta dedicated transport, they benefit from a tonne of super sexy re-rolls as well as a Frag Assault Launcher, allowing them to strike on initiative no matter what. With a few more play tests, I have a feeling this may become my new favorite unit.

So, how do you field yours? Have you tried any other combinations that would otherwise be impossible? Are there any options which confound you, or you simply dislike for one reason or another?

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
That's a lot of points, too many I'd say.

I like to keep WG cheap and flexible, throwing on a few PAWG gives you more bodies and more attacks for relatively cheap.

I typically run them in a Loganwing like so: 4 PAWG, 1 WGT w/ cyclone. They're cheap, blasty, and scoring so I can spend more points on Thunderwolves.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine come in at either 250 or 275. The builds are:

5 wolf guard

terminator armourx4
1x tt/ss
1xac/pf
1xpf/sb
2xpw/sb
normal guy has power fist and joins 9 man grey hunter unit
drop pod
_this build gives me a guy to alocate lascannon shots(3++), an assault cannon, 2 guys to acolcate other wounds to (Pw/sb) and room in the drop pod for a character(usually rp) aswell as plenty of high strenth attacks (th,3x pf)

Then there's

5 wolf guard

terminator armourx4
1x wc x2
1hf/pf
1xpf/sb
2xpw/sb
normal guy has power fist and joins 9 man grey hunter unit
drop pod
_this build gives me heavy flamer, 2 guys to accolcate wounds to (pw/sb), is cheaper than build 1 and has a spare place for my rp.

I use them as a distration to take the opponents mind of my grey hunters in rhino's .If works and can set you up for a sandwich in witch you tank shock the rhino's into the enemy line cramping them agaist the drop pods and terminators and the newly arrived GH which I then fire of 6-9 flamers into cramped enemies then bp's then every enemy get assaulted. In my last 5 games Iv'e lost 29 terminators, 4 longfangs, 2 thunder wolves, 7 rhino's and 6 marines in power armour! Thats no lie I actuallt kept count!

Sorry for the long post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.