Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i've read alot latley about people using very expensive wolf lords to great effect (in the 250 - 290 pt range) and am considering adding one in place of my rune priest (he's a safe bet for a HQ but not that fun). Was wondering if anyone else had any experiance with this kind of lord?

I've made up 2 builds i'm considering, if you think it is viable which would you use (if other please do say)?

Wolf lord 1 "The big game hunter" 270 pts -

Thunderwolf mount, thunder hammer, storm shield, runic armour, wolf tooth necklace, Saga of the bear.

Wolf lord 2 "The butcher" 275pts -

Thunderwolf mount, 2 wolf claws, runic armour, wolf tooth necklace, belt of russ, melta bombs Saga of the warrior.

Both serve very different purposes, but both are very very good at what they do, which would you use, or if you play a non wolf force which would you most hate to see your opponent use?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, isn’t anything on Space Wolf expensive anyways?

I’ve consider similar builds in the past and decided to go with Canis Wolfborn because of fluff, easy modeling and point cost, but they look awesome to me.

The only thing I’d let go is the necklace. With such a high WS, I don’t see much use for them on a lord.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see your point on the necklaces, i feel the big game hunter could use it as he'd be expected to hunt special characters (tried him earlier vs my friends chaos and he managed to beat abaddon down) as well as things like tyrants that may be able to match his WS. The butcher however could do without it, there're no (to my knowledge) WS 6 troops out there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are very few units out there that have higher WS, but I see your point. My point is whoever has such a high WS will probably have a higher initiative and will strike first, anyway.

I'll give you a troop choice example: Genestealers.

As a matter of fact, I'd consider adding a belt to the hunter, too. There are a lot of rending, power weapons and fists out there to make it worth it.

Now, after a little more consideration, do you think you need the saga? So expensive! And he is already though enough, thanks to the mount. Very few things can instant kill him and if you run him with another unit (Fenrisians or Calvary) you won't need it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are very few units out there that have higher WS, but I see your point. My point is whoever has such a high WS will probably have a higher initiative and will strike first, anyway.

I'll give you a troop choice example: Genestealers.

As a matter of fact, I'd consider adding a belt to the hunter, too. There are a lot of rending, power weapons and fists out there to make it worth it.

Now, after a little more consideration, do you think you need the saga? So expensive! And he is already though enough, thanks to the mount. Very few things can instant kill him and if you run him with another unit (Fenrisians or Calvary) you won't need it.
In larger games he will probably be run with a unit of cavalry, the problem is the hunter is going to be going for Str 10 monsters in CC (i.e. wraithlords, dreads, fex's etc) and the wolves can't help him there.

In regard to giving him the belt, no need, he has a storm shield to grant him a 3+ invuln.

Dropping the necklace off the butcher (twin claws) version probably is a good idea, though the big game hunter still has many uses for it 9while not many things have a better WS, plenty of characters etc have an equal WS).

And yes, stealer are definatly something to be avoided with either of them, let the long fangs blow them to bits instead.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I missed the Storm Shield, so no need for belt, indeed. And now that I see that you intend to hunt big game (literally) I agree that saga is a good idea.

As stated before, I like them. Go for it and let is know how it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.