Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm new to this forum but I'm completely excited because it seems like a solid group and very educated in the ways of the Wood Elf army! I have recently acquired the latest wood elf army book and have a couple of friends that I play. I'm looking for advice against the armies that my friends play. I've put A LOT of work into my wood elf army and it's looking great. My friends, however, play 2 armies but they haven't really devoted much to either. Anyway, my one friend plays Empire and Chaos (Although it seems as if he's given up his chaos and is more interested in Empire) while my other friend plays High Elves and Dwarves. I'm looking for ALL KINDS of advice against these armies! I enjoyed the Wood Elves under the previous edition and loved some of the rules they had but now I"m trying to get used to living without those rules and building upon the new ones. I was so used to the -1 armor save to all wood elf archery and completely miss the Waywatcher traps! Anyway, I need to buy some Treekin models and Wild Riders as they are the new units.

Ok, before I'm completely off track, what kind of advice would everyone offer when playing these armies? Here's our standard config: Usually (but not always) 2k point armies with a 4-6 turn limit. We each make 3 rolls for scenery and then add the last forest for wood elves after if I'm playing. Against the high elves, I was thinking about loading up on mages and turning them into scroll caddies to cripple his magic. I would then advance my archers enough to start turning his army into swiss cheese. He has range but I know he'll want to invest his points more into building up his heroes because he'll want to try and pound me with magic. He'll have a small amount of archers and maybe 1 or 2 bold throwers. Dwarves and empire are different stories. They both have long range artillery. Against the dwarves, I was thinking maybe toning down the archers and stick to 2 units of 10 for support and then core up on dryards. The 5+ save may help against the canon shots and if I space them out to the max, they won't be super vulnerable to template weapons. Treesinging would be nice but I'm not counting on getting and spells off against a dwarf army. Am I wrong to assume this? Finally, what advice against Empire? My buddy loads up on his war machines and brings the much-hated steam tank. Now here are my initial thoughts, the empire has A LOT of hero choices to fill hero slots and I know he likes his engineers for insurance on his warmachines. This means he'll bring less mages, should I bring the pain in magic since he won't have a lot to dispel with? I might be able to move some trees onto his warmachines this way. As for the steamtank, here's what I'm thinking - The steam tank has no stat fo Ld but the operator inside has an Ld of 10. Also, units get automatic hits against the steam tank. If I dropped a lord on a dragon, arm him with a spirit sword, and charge him in, he would get 4 hits with the sword which is 4 wounds. If he doesn't save 1 of those wounds, then we do the Ld contest. Does his steamtank have an Ld of 0 because there's no stat for it? Or does he use the Operator's Ld instead?

Anyway, any advice against those armies would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was so used to the -1 armor save to all wood elf archery and completely miss the Waywatcher traps! Anyway, I need to buy some Treekin models and Wild Riders as they are the new units.
Amen to that, brother. I myself played WE ten years ago and restarted just weeks ago. I don't really have an advice since I don't really have collected much experience with the new WE, but the new Dryads definitely are a strong change for the better as I found the old WE rather light in close combat.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
As I mostly play High elves, I will give you some advice on them. Before that I want to ask, do you know already who you're playing, because IMO he will use a different army if he knows that he's facing you (no Sm for example)

If you know then:
I would take at least 30 GG, three units of 8 Dryads,at least one unit of wardancers, a treeman and a Great Eagle. Give any unit wich has acces to a mus one because you'll need it a lot. If there's a hill, position the GG there at least if it is in you're deployment zone ofcourse. If not then do the following:

GG GG GG
Dr Dr DR

Every turn you'll move 5'' inch forwards with them and pepper the enemy lines with arrows. If you get charged, then flee. The Dryads are immune to panic, so nothing to worry about (you can change the dryads for some wardancers, they're even better). You're GG will probably rally as they have a mus.
The wardancers, do I need to explain? Probably not, but I'll do it anyway. They have a dance wich allows them to strike first, and because they have I6, they probably win.

You're oppenent will probably take some white lions and some lion chariots, they seem hard, but aren't. Just let you're wardancers/dryads handle the white lions.
If you use the wardancers for this task then take the dance with the extra attack, you'll slautgher them, don't worry too much about ASF, they only have on attack, if he's very lucky he kills 3 of you're wardancers and you'll still have 13 attacks left (assuming you have the champ).
With dryads you can best try to get a flank charge, they first need to pass theire LD-test, they'll probably win, but hey sometimes you're lucky and they don't. You don't need a flank charge but it is nice, because he'll have not much attacks against you, unless it's a massive unit of 25, he'll probably have a banner and some ranks, I think two, he's in the majorite so you need at least to kill three more then he does to win the battle. So you can best charge them with the wardancers because they have better stats and more chance to kill lots of white lions.

The Chariots aren't hard to deal with when you're in half range with you're GG, send a volley in and it will crumble, if it doesn't send another 10 bolts in him, he should be dead by now.

The rest of his army shouldn't be too hard, oh yeah, if you know he'll bring some dragon princess the use the Alter HB with Arcane Bodkins BoL and glamourweave. Enjoy the look on his face when you shoot his dragon princess, and they just fall dead on the ground with arrows piercing threw the armour.

If you have any questions, just ask!
-Asrai Archer

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry maybe I have expressed myself wrong, I meant he doesn't get any points for the extra rank, because a unit with unit S5 or more has charged them in the flank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Against the dwarfs with war marchines (or hell, ANY army) Waywatchers.

Just have them run along the back (deployed close to the war machines) and kill the crews.

Chaos Knights on Barded steeds only charge 14, so figure out good 15" estimations and stay at 15 and just pepper them with killing blow shots. Good bye 1+ Armor save. Also an Alter noble, Bow of Lauren, and Arcane bodkins (5 shots that ignore armor saves, you're hitting on 2's and killing a chosen chaos knight on 5's)

I have no advice vs. Empire, as I've yet to fight them with my elves.

Ive demolished Chaos armies though.

Oh. Take a Treeman or two. ALWAYS take a treeman or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts