Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now never let it be said that I'm a proud man, I know when I need help and here it is.

I often end up placing my units within woods for protection, but find I'm hampering myself because a lack of line of sight to charge or shooting targets. How would you suggest I remedy this? Should I place my units of the far side of forests so I can see them?

JJDW

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I put archers in the wood, usually out of line of sight to start the game. Then I move them to 2" so they can see out. They can be targeted but against most shooting, they're -1 to hit. When enemies try to close on them, I might turn them around and move them back into the woods, removing that target for the enemy. If the enemy turns for another target, then I turn my archers and move them back to where they can see out and shoot.

Sometimes, I just put half my archers in the wood since I need half to get the soft cover bonus.

As for other units, it's just dictated by the game. I slip in and out of the woods to threaten, bait, or misdirect.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Registered
415 Posts
The only units I put in woods to stay put are scouts and waywatchers. I field the normal Glade Guard in lines of 10 about 34" away from the enemy (at the edge of the table) so that I get a shot at him the first turn but he cant get a shot at me if he starts, not without penalties that is.

I use the woods to flee through so my enemies cant move the same distance as I do, or to simply redirect enemy troop movement.

putting a spellsinger in a wood (in the center of it) is also a good tactic but you need to be careful when enemy's get nearby!

I hope this helps...

·
I have a cunning plan
605 Posts
I will put any unit in a wood that I want hidden, for example when the enemy has a lot of shooting I'll put the Wild Riders in one since I know they will just get shot off otherwise or if the enemy is using fire magic I may put a treeman or treekin in there too keep them safe and hopefully progress a bit with some treesinging. With all armies you need to make good use of terrain, Wood Elves are good at this because they can move through woods which you will see on most tables, those woods are open ground to you but not to the enemy which gives you an advantage when fighting in or around them so use it. A bit of wood is a good place to bunker your army when you need to go defensive and anchor a flank when you go on attack, this is true to all armies but Wood Elves benefit from it the most.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I put my treeman and war dancers in woods and use them as bunkers for turn two or three when the enemy is getting close. My Spellsigners almost always hunker down in the trees as well.

Another use for woods which can be used in conjuntion with the above is to change the shape of the battle field. If you are lucky enough to have two or more woods on the board then you can really block off areas of the board and funnel the opposition by only one or two good uses of treesinging.

Personally with wood elves I am not so worried about my own line of sight* as I am in blocking my opponents and generally separating his units from each other.

*I am not worried about my own line of sight because wood elf units are generally fast enough to redeploy within a turn to get a charge in at a later stage. Generally the first four turns of a game for me are positioning my units and whittling down a few of his units and staying out of sight. Then come turn five and six I am ready to commit my army to driving the enemy from the Athel Loren!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.