Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the world eaters start to worship khorne before, during or after the horus hersey?

·
Spiky
768 Posts
I'm not sure that they simply began to worship Khorne, it's more like they began to uncounciously act accordingly with Khorne Will and then some marines began to feel the benefits of their actions. An so they began to thank the origin of their new strengh and so on. As long as they spilled blood, they were becoming more powerfull. The revelation of Khorne existence probably came later as an explanation to their growing strengh. Or so I see it. Might be wrong.

Reactions: darkreever

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
It would be just prior to the siege of terra at the earliest. The story of how Kharn became the champion of Khorne has it that he died atop a mound of his victims during the siege and khorne willed the rest of the world eaters to take his fallen form with them at the end. He was then brought back to life, so it would have had to have been just before the siege for that to have happened.

MindRaked, what you said is what first came to mind when I read the first post here. What you said is probably the more accurate way of how it happened though...8) (just not when)

·
Registered
57 Posts
darkreever said:
It would be just prior to the siege of terra at the earliest. The story of how Kharn became the champion of Khorne has it that he died atop a mound of his victims during the siege and khorne willed the rest of the world eaters to take his fallen form with them at the end. He was then brought back to life, so it would have had to have been just before the siege for that to have happened.

MindRaked, what you said is what first came to mind when I read the first post here. What you said is probably the more accurate way of how it happened though...8) (just not when)
that is correct according to the index asrates section on them.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
I think Mindraked probably has a very good theory which explains why they began worshipping Khorne, but I think in order to recieve the mark, which is different from just worship, there has to be a conscious and permanent agreement between the god and his new servant. The Emperor's Children, for example, sealed their eternal bargain by saccrificing a million poor innocents, I forget where they did it.

They suffered from a form of blood frenzy even before the heresy though, thanks to their use of neurosurgery and implants to increase their ferocity in battle. It was just enhanced by the gifts of Khorne.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Worldeaters were introduced to the worship of Khorne by Horus when he convinced them to join him in rebellion. Also the Emperor's Children slaughtered the million on Terra instead of taking part in the siege, also that was more to create drugs from them than a an act of dedication to Slaanesh, though the orgies that followed could be considered to be.

Reactions: MindRaked

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
I am the Monkey King said:
Also the Emperor's Children slaughtered the million on Terra instead of taking part in the siege, also that was more to create drugs from them than a an act of dedication to Slaanesh, though the orgyies that followed could be considered to be.
I know that, in fact, they've probably killed billions for drugs.

Don't forget though, every time a EC indulges or excesses, that is his act of worship. Rendering down thousands of human beings for drugs is, in itself, a devotion to Slannesh.

I was referring to a specific incident during the heresy in which the Emperor's children performed a mass saccrifice to seal their eternal contract with Slannesh.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So they started worshipping khorne during the siege of terra or nearing the end of the horus hersey?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
More or less the middle of the heresy, probably just after the droppod massacre. (Where Fulgrim made a cup out of the head of old iron hands...8))

·
Registered
209 Posts
go to wikipedia and type in world eaters, I just went there and it tells everything about them, and that horus seeing how much they loved blood and close combat, introduced them to the chaos god khorne, which was perfect for them. I think this was during the heresy?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
R.A.P.T.O.R said:
go to wikipedia and type in world eaters, I just went there and it tells everything about them, and that horus seeing how much they loved blood and close combat, introduced them to the chaos god khorne, which was perfect for them. I think this was during the heresy?
Thank you R.A.P.T.O.R for restating exactly what we have said and confirmed once before in this topic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How did he restate what you have said? I didn't see anyone else recommend wikipedia and that's good advice, they have some good fluff on there.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
True, I've scanned the post again, but no wikipedia links immediately leap out.

Hmm.. maybe it would be a good idea for someone to post a sticky entitled 'Where to find fluff.' Listing sites like Wikipedia, and with some commentary on each of the sources and their reliability for 40k fluff.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Besides wikapedia, just check out the Index Astartes: World Eaters. But I'll answer your question more thoroughly, World Eaters are my specialty.

As recorded in the Liber Malum the World Eaters treck to the bloody embrace of Khorne comes 1st and formost from thier primarch, Angron. Now Angron was already a firerce warrior but as a youth he was affixed with bio-neural implants were surgically grafted to his cerebral cortex. These implants (from the dark age of technology) would boost his aggression and strength in battle and turn him into a blood-crazy killer. Later on after taking command of his legion he had his techmarines duplicate the psycho surgery implants, heightening the aggression and strength of the already insanley combat-oriented marines.

These implants made them all the more suseptable to Khornes wispers. Perhaps they heard it even before they rebelled... At the back of their minds perhaps? We can find evidence that this could have been the case. An example would be the Ghenna Scouring. In this campaign the entire population of a planet was butchered in a single night! Can you imagine that? Millions, if not billions, of people being killed in under 12 hours... No other legion can boast a feat as amazing and horrible as this.

Soon after this they started displaying even more characteristics of khorne worshippers. Taking skulls and body parts as trophies. Could this be the slight influence of khorne working it's way into the marine's minds? Most probably. The corruption of a legion is gradual, it does not happen all at once.

Then the Emperor dispatched Horus (fatal mistake), who confronted Angron. Horus added fuel to the flames, emphasizing Angron's hatred and bitterness turining him against the weakiling emperor. It is somewhere in this time period where they turn to worship Khorne. With their fellow legions (especially the sons of horus) now openly worshiping chaos, it was only natural they found their own place, at Khorne's right hand. There is no "official" event of their turning. As I mentioned it was gradual. But at this point, fully in khorne's embrace they cut a bloody swathe across the galaxy. Destoying whole systems and culling an entire planet's population in a matter of hours... Khorne blessed them with new abilities and they cut a bloody path to Terra. This did of course take a bit of time. Because when arriving on Terra, Angron was now a full fledged Daemon-Primarch. Virtually unstoppable in combat, Angron and his World Eaters breached the very walls of the Imperial Palace itself.

If only Horus hadn't been stupid and let the shields of his barge down... He had a couple days till the loyalist chapters arrived, and the walls were breached. Angron and some of the other primarchs were on the verge of victory. It could have been different. But... then we wouldn't have this lovely game of 40k now would we? There was a lovely piece of fluff of the Primarch's leaving Terra and Angron being the last to leave, shaking his fist at the mostly-destoyed palace, vowing revenge...

Oh and one more little tid-bit. For those of you who don't know Angron is NOT. Dead. He was banished by the grey knights but not destroyed. No one, save perhaps the emperor can fully destroy him. And even in banishing him it took the entire 1st company of a hundred odd grey knight terminators fully decked out in dark-age daemon-banishing tech and the grand master himself to take him down. And even then it was just barely... His return is recorded in an ancient daemon book (the one from the grey knights novel). Oh and when he comes back, all hell will break loose, literally...

*Whew* I'm exausted. Hope that answered any and all of your questions... I'm off... 8)

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
northoceanbeach said:
How did he restate what you have said? I didn't see anyone else recommend wikipedia and that's good advice, they have some good fluff on there.
Never said he restated me mind you, but the fact that they began their worship of Khorne during the heresy and that Horus had some hand in it has already been posted here. Mind you that pointing to Wikepedia is a great idea and that good idea goes to R.A.P.T.O.R today...8)

·
Registered
309 Posts
He had a couple days till the loyalist chapters arrived, and the walls were breached.
Are you sure about this? I'm sure I've read at least one account that says that hte other legions were hours away and that although teh walls were breached, fighting through the corridors would likely take days (the Imperial Palace is massive remember).

No one, save perhaps the emperor can fully destroy him.
I'm pretty sure the Emperor could have, the chaos gods were frightened of him because he could theoretically have destroyed them, which noone else could ever have dreamt of. Not saying he definetely could, but the possobility was there.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Are you sure about this? I'm sure I've read at least one account that says that hte other legions were hours away and that although teh walls were breached, fighting through the corridors would likely take days (the Imperial Palace is massive remember).
In most of the "official" fluff (as in published by GW) it states they were at least 2 days away. While, the palace is large, almost the entire loyalist army was maning the walls. Also, it's not like the Primarch's didn't know where to go they've been there before... My point was it could have gone either way. Especially if they had let the loyalists arrive and held them off in space, buying a few more days to take the emperor's head. And if the Emperor's Children were actually attacking not having a massive orgy with the human population, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure the Emperor could have, the chaos gods were frightened of him because he could theoretically have destroyed them, which noone else could ever have dreamt of. Not saying he definetely could, but the possobility was there.
Perhaps, if it was one-on-one. The Big 4 were not "afraid" of the emperor, I highly doubt they even feel an emotion that we would understand as "fear". They viewed him as more of "in the way" of their plans. The emperor may have eventually found a way to counter the chaos god's influence in his subjects (as was his goal). But this would have taken a very long time. And even longer for him to find a way to actually fight them on their own turf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts