Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have started collecting Daemon Hunters after coming back to the hobby.

Daemon Hunters appeal to me due to their underdog status, elite fluff, rarity within the community and amazing fluffy heroes (inquisitors). I have my heart set on collecting and playing this army due to these reasons; also because over the years I have pretty much had in my possession everything else.

The question I ask is, is it worth it? I have been snooping around the rumors for DH and it appears they are due for an update soon (early 2011?). As you know, DH are expensive. I don't want to commit to purchasing and painting an army to find in 6 months time new models, rules and everyone else playing them.

Just nothing else seems to compare. Apart from DH I would consider Necrons or Dark Eldar, but once again i'm stuck in the same situation.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you are looking to be ultra-competive then DH aren't for you. However with average players they can be very effective. I also wouldn't worry about buying the models incase new ones come out, because the current ones are some of the best GW have ever made, and it would be very hard for the new ones to be better. And we are also proberly last on GWs update list, if they even bother at all. If you like the models and army then go for it.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
596 Posts
Daemon Hunters appeal to me due to their underdog status, elite fluff, rarity within the community and amazing fluffy heroes (inquisitors).
These are the only reasons that you need to start collect DH's.
They may release new rules by the time you have a well established army, but they could only make them better. However, this probably wont be for a very long time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great news. I was half expecting to come back to hear lots of reasons why not to collect them. I understand they are not the most competitive but isn't that half the fun?

Looks like I've made up my mind.

Slightly off topic, has anyone played a radical army with any success? The idea of an Inquisitor, daemonhosts and stormtroopers sounds and would look amazing. Only downside is the expense >< I hope when they do get an update they make plastic stormies.

·
3,395 Posts
Slightly off topic, has anyone played a radical army with any success? The idea of an Inquisitor, daemonhosts and stormtroopers sounds and would look amazing.
Radical DH is probably best with inducted support, though i've only played it a few times - the most recent was a chimera push supported by assassins and daemonhosts, it was ... different.

Don't really have the unit selection for the radicals though, the only 'pure' radical unit is the 1-3 daemonhosts who could spend the entire game waiting for a good roll to get into the action only to get IDed by a shmuck with a powerfist.
WH work better in that regard with zealots, penitents, arcos, and various other colourful units led by a guy on a walking throne.

Only downside is the expense >< I hope when they do get an update they make plastic stormies.
While Kasrkin are nice models you can get by with plastics from the guard line, converted if required. Cadians look ok.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
While Kasrkin are nice models you can get by with plastics from the guard line, converted if required. Cadians look ok.
I have an =I= army in the works, and I won't be using the Kasrkins. Not only are they pricey, but I simply hate the models. There, I said it. Instead, I'm going to use SM scouts with gas mask heads from Pig Iron miniatures. Should look sweet.

·
1,648 Posts
I have an =I= army in the works, and I won't be using the Kasrkins. Not only are they pricey, but I simply hate the models. There, I said it. Instead, I'm going to use SM scouts with gas mask heads from Pig Iron miniatures. Should look sweet.
That is actually a fantastic idea!

·
Registered
762 Posts
the only 'pure' radical unit is the 1-3 daemonhosts who could spend the entire game waiting for a good roll to get into the action only to get IDed by a shmuck with a powerfist.

I have an Imperial guard army with a Radical Inquisitor, the army works but has not had enough play testing for me to decide if the Inquisitor and his daemonhosts are worth it. If you are worried about the Daemonhosts coming in, the Astropath from the Imperial Guard codex HQ would solve that problem.

At the very least it was ALOT of fun choosing models/converting/painting all the models for my Inquisitor and his retinue. I looked outside of the GW range, so my inquisitor retinue really stands out next to the rest of my army. I'd also recommend reading Eisenhorn trilogy for Black Library inspiration

·
3,395 Posts
If you are worried about the Daemonhosts coming in, the Astropath from the Imperial Guard codex HQ would solve that problem.
I would not personally hold the daemonhosts in reserve, they are most effective attacking with it's teleport or timeshift - from deepstrike they can't assault and generate no power on that turn.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you're going Radical, I would suggest going all out and using WH with DH. Inq lords, Daemonhosts, Penetent Engines, Assassins, Repentia, and ISTs. WH has more options for radicals, which is why I suggested it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I find DH to be an amazing "elite forces" addition to a Space Marines or Guard army as allies. However, I have struggled when fielding pure DH forces. It is very difficult to keep the force alive in sufficient size and number. At the end of the day, it's power armour like other marines, and the enemy finds ways of melting, blowing it up and shooting holes in it. I love them, but jump into a pure DH collection with care and caution.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I finally committed and bought myself the basics for a Grey Knight army.

I bought:
5x Terminators.
Land Raider
Dreadnought
2x 8x PAGK

I have been looking through the rumors section and have become really worried. Alot of people are suggesting a new codex in July with new models! This means I will need (rather want) to buy new terminators and PAGK reducing my current models to be completely worthless.

Shall I just get rid of the army while I can and start afresh with something new? Just nothing appeals to me in the same way.

There is alot of speculation in this thread http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/rumours-news-previews/184538-witch-hunters-daemonhunters.html

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I wouldn't count on July, that's a stretch. However, I have seen rumors of Plastic GKTs spotted, but I wouldn't worry about new models because the current ones are beautiful.

·
596 Posts
There is no way we could possibly expect a new codex before 2011.
They have released two Vanilla SM codex' and two tyranid codex' since rumours of a new INQ codex started circulating yeeeeears ago. Complete with new HQ options, Ordo Xenos etc. etc.

I for one would welcome a new codex, but there is no way I am getting my hopes up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, if the rumours of plastic GK are true, wouldn't it seem reasonable that if there is a new codex coming it, that it would be due at the same time? And if someone has seen the plastic GK, then it could be soon(ish). Maybe there's still some chance of a late 2010 release? But I'm not holding my breath.

·
596 Posts
As someone pointed out on that particular rumours thread: If you never get your hopes up, you wont be disappointed very often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts