Librarium Online Forums banner

What would you purchase?

• I would purchase a whole new army. ALL IN BABY!

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • I would only buy the codex and some new units and upgrade sprues.

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • I wouldonly buy the codex and upgrade sprues.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • The codex is enough for me.

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Codex : Traitor Legions is a bad idea / I wouldnt buy it.

Votes: 6 8.8%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the scenario:

Games Workshop releases Codex: Traitor Legions.
The codex covers all four Cults as well as the Nightlords, Alpha Legion, Word Bearers and Iron Warriors.
To supplement the new rules GW also releases new upgrade sprue boxes (like the Black Templars) for each legion and a special upgrade sprue box for the other four legions with a few special heads, champion torsos and lots of shoulder guards.

We're talking sonic weaponry and screaming helmets for Emperors Children, chain axe-orama and good looking bunny ear helmets for berzerkers, pustulent helmets and torsos for plague marines and tabard-torsos, hawk-looking bolters and egyptian looking helmets for 1k Sons. Nice bitz, better than the expensive Forge World stuff. Easy to go nutz and spend the whole salary on bitz-sprues.

This means that if anyone wanted to build a legion army they would have to purchase:
1. The Codex.
2. An upgrade sprue box for each unit.
3. New CSM units to build the legionnaires.
4. New rhinos and vehicles to use with the new iconography you get in the boxes.

All in all this would be pretty profitable for GW - if people would be willing to go all in.
Would you?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Damn, tough question. I would probably get as much as my poor college student wallet can handle (Codex First, obviously).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Probably not.

In fact i would take the opportunity to sell all my stuff on Ebay on a upped price. Considering many would be seeking models to complete some new strategy, it would sell for a little more than selling it now : When all that's in demand is Plagues and Zerkers.

I'd probably keep my 6 dreadnought loyalist army for kicks every now and then. I'm never buying anything GW release ever again... Though i might make some models out of Plasticard or Greenstuff.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Probably not.

In fact i would take the opportunity to sell all my stuff on Ebay on a upped price. Considering many would be seeking models to complete some new strategy, it would sell for a little more than selling it now : When all that's in demand is Plagues and Zerkers.

I'd probably keep my 6 dreadnought loyalist army for kicks every now and then. I'm never buying anything GW release ever again... Though i might make some models out of Plasticard or Greenstuff.
Wow, thanks for the extremely constructive post! Ha!
Anyways, yeah, its a great idea. They don't have enough stuff out there to make unique units of guys that have different marks as is. Selling a seperate 18 dollar pack for noise marines weapons that you need in addition to that 30 pack of marines just to make 6 noise marines with sonic weapons is a little terrible. With that said, they are making strides in customizability! The newer CSM boxes have champion upgrades and icons that are legion specific. I have no problem with them doing this on a larger scale, so I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on forgeworld to get a flavorful army.
Oh, and and why can't we just mark our daemons? It would do a little to adding a little fluff...

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, if GW does release a box of Noise marines (10 man with sonic weapons for all of them) I am going to scream bloody murder and firebomb the GW store. I have 50 Noise marines All with Sonic Weapons/Doom Sirens/Blast Masters, and I spent a pretty penny to do it.

On the other hand, I would really like to see Legion specific things from the 3rd edition codex. My Dreadnought is sitting on the shelf because he has an illegal weapon on him, a blastmaster...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Since I already have a huge Alpha Legion army, I'd only buy the codex, and any "new" units in it, I'd just convert what I have. More fun that way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Damn, tough question. I would probably get as much as my poor college student wallet can handle (Codex First, obviously).
This. If they madegood(bad?)-looking Nurgle models I'd buy all I could afford... and probably wind up dipping into my food money, to be honest.

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
Sorry,

I join to seismic. No upgrades, they`ll be outdated after three months and completely useless after a year...
Yes, they`ll hit first as Wolves until nids who`ll untill the BA dex...

No, sorry.

Ps.: seismic also knows why I`m still keeping my BA... are You in the same gaming club?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ps.: seismic also knows why I`m still keeping my BA... are You in the same gaming club?
Its doubtfull.

The only BA player in my area (For now) is my kid brother, i don't think he's you.

I can see why people might be cautious with upcoming releases due to codex creep. I can't really say if it really exists. the tournaments i participated in weren't cut throat mix/max mathhammer-fests. Most the time its based on fluff/painting/sportsman ship. In that type of circumstance , a power list would actually be a detriment.

Personally i like the lore in 40k , the universe that GW created , but i hate how they're handling it. The continuity and direction of the game is unclear: With my busy schedule i can't make an good estimate of time and money spent hobbying on something that may or may not be good 2 years down the road.

-" Hey man , what's going on?"
-" Oh , hey GW! Nothing much , Making the finishing touch on my Night lords"
-"yeah , nice. Well , How about they're worthless now?"
-'"Uh?"
-"Voilà! The 4th edition codex"
-" That's a bummer"
-"Yeah , well C'est la vie! How about you buy some Noise marines and 1ksons"
-"Sure , i guess . They're expensive, but they pack a punch"
-"Yeah well now , everything has a 4+ cover save."
-"Come again?!"
-"Yeah , here's your brand new 5th edition rules"
-"So effectively, my 1ksons and Noise have their range damage potential halved ?"
-"Yeah , wanna buy some Plagues or Zerkers ?"

Some people might think this is good business when in fact its blatant planed obsolescence.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
If GW were do do as you say, Mr_Wayne, and they made some suitably impressive models... it would probably be enough to make me start a Night Lords army. I've always wanted to, just haven't had a good enough reason to yet.

Although it would probably depend what else I was working on at the time. Being too busy with other stuff might mean the Night Lords would have to wait. Again.

So yeah, I voted ALL IN! But it's really ALL IN with a few conditions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello Mr_Wayne!
Well, the sort of thing you are thinking of would be a step in the right direction for me to get Chaos Marines. I loved the way in the 'Realms of Chaos:Slaves to Darkness" and "Lost and the Damned" that there were totally different models for the legions dedicated to each of the Four. With good accessory packs for each of the powers, it would be almost the same thing. I hope it's a whopping big Codex with descriptions and histories of the 8 featured legions. Since I don't have a Chaos Marine army right now, guess I'd have to go all in, ha ha!

Emperor bless and cherish you!
Frankie

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, if GW does release a box of Noise marines (10 man with sonic weapons for all of them) I am going to scream bloody murder and firebomb the GW store. I have 50 Noise marines All with Sonic Weapons/Doom Sirens/Blast Masters, and I spent a pretty penny to do it.

On the other hand, I would really like to see Legion specific things from the 3rd edition codex. My Dreadnought is sitting on the shelf because he has an illegal weapon on him, a blastmaster...
Better start learning how to make those molotovs, cause GW doesn't give a shit about what you want. They'll probably do it anyway.

·
LO Zealot
1,883 Posts
I would just love sprues of juicy binoic bits, servo arms, etc to deck out my Iron Warriors.... Rules to go with them would be even better.

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
Its doubtfull.

The only BA player in my area (For now) is my kid brother, i don't think he's you.
:D I know, I meant "same boat" or "same shoes"... You would take the opportunity to sell for a higher price :) same here, I`m waiting for April but not to get a new dex for my BA but for the price increase...

But I`m missing the old `dex, the newest one has not the same atmosphere... Please ask this question again, when I`ll have my first million pounds.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
I already have all the main legions and a couple of undivided armies. It would be nice to have a legion codex but I wont hold my breath.

As for buying more, it's always on the cards. I have 35000pts of chaos for a reason. :)

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
I already have all the main legions and a couple of undivided armies. It would be nice to have a legion codex but I wont hold my breath.

As for buying more, it's always on the cards. I have 35000pts of chaos for a reason. :)
Christ almighty Skarsgard. Do you spend your money on anything else? do you not drink?

·
Registered
73 Posts

it's always on the cards. I have 35000pts of chaos
I have 35000pts of chaos
35000pts of chaos

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Drinking is so last decade!

I have a few years on you mate, I have been playing 40K/WHFB etc since 1994.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with nhyx.

Buy the codex and convert the rest. lots of fun for a completley flavorful army that looks nothing like anyone elses and dosnt cost an arm and a leg!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts