Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the update to the palanquin in the new book for WOC, has anyone had a change of heart on it? I can honestly say I have never seen anyone take one against me and I just finished creating mine (I'll post pictures later since I'm on my phone right now) and I am SO happy with how the model and throne look. It's really not that many points for what you are getting out of the model. The wounds are awesome, your character becomes immune to stomp (thunderstomp as well), gain 6 S3 + S3 stomp (yeah not too impressive but that could be the wound that pushes the combat in your favor) and +1 to your save.

The only downfall I see in it is the loss of LOS when he's sitting in a warrior block (I assume that is where he will usually be with his movement 4). I understand there are better options like the daemonic steed for that T5 we have all come to love or just a normal steed for the LOS in a squad of knights.

I personally love the mount for a hero level caster or even bsb and you can get so creative with creating the mount. I personally have mine magnitzed so I can swap the sword for a staff or bsb banner allowing for some different set ups depending on the roll I want him to have.

What are your opinions on the palanquin? I wanna hear all I can about this bad boy since it seems to be invisible to about 95% of WOC players :p

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
It's a Warbeast. I actually took one back when they were infantry. Now though, you're too big for a Look Out Sir! and too slow to go with Knights. I've had some success with people allowing me to use it as a Daemonic Mount. Normally, as long as it's "all or nothing" and every 50mm square mount option is a Daemonic Mount, the opponent is cool with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand LOS is an issue, but if anyone is throwing characteristic tests his way with a template he is gunna mostly likely pass. And if you give him a solid ward save and with his 4 wounds then he is probably gunna survive a few shots his way. If you aren't in combat by a couple turns into the game then I feel like you aren't playing the warrior block the way it should be played haha.
Also, if they are targeting all or most their war machines at your level 2 then that frees up your big beasties which we all tend to be running with this new book (daemon princes, chimeras, etc.)

I just feel it has more potential than everyone is giving it. (I may be a little biased since I am really diggin my model)

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Yeah. That's all pertinent and true, and LoS hasn't always bugged me that much either. I run an Exalted BSB on a Daemonic Steed either alone or in a regiment that he doesn't benefit from as well. Yes, you have 4 Wounds, but they're at T4, they only add +1 to your Save (for being mounted) and you can't get the unkillable wardsave.
I run my Daemonic Steed with a BSB of Tzeentch, so that he wardsaves on a 3+ and rerolls 1's, get a +2 to his armor, +1 to his Toughness, and has 3 wounds. If I could just get the "unkillable" Wardsave&3rdEye combo onto a Palanquin, I'd reconsider running it.
Again, just like everything in our book - is it bad? Nope. Is it worth taking compared to the "openly available" Daemonic Mount? Meh, probably not.

Also, just realized that it's Monstrous Beast, so at least it's gonna get Stomp attacks, but it's not rocking Poison anymore, and all of it's attacks are at WS3, S3.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong about the TZ bsb demonic mount 3++ rerolling 1s. I run him almost every game! I love him!

I'm just saying for not that many points you are getting so much on a nurgle hero character. I'm running this guy in my next grand tourney in my all nurgle list as a level 2 scroll carrier. (still got a guy on a demonic mount but little less unkillable since he isn't TZ.) And if they target him with their guns then so be it. Lets my daemon prince get to where he needa to be just a little easier :)

And yeah, I see the s3 attacks kinda just to a bonus :p

Am I they only person running this? If anyone else is I would LOVE to see some conversions you have all done! I've looked up many, but I know there are some still hiding out there! Don't be shy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a Photobucket link to my album of the Palanquin and the hero on top of it. It's not flocked yet, but some feedback would be much appreciated.

photo.jpg Photo by AustinTehMan | Photobucket

The Palanquin is made from balsa wood, a bit of gorilla glue, toothpicks and greenstuff. Oh, and a few bitz.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
That's cool Austin!!

As the good Captain has said. It's not a 'bad' choice. There are just better ones in our book. The LoS thing is a problem but if you go for a 4+ Ward and the charmed shield you should be ok against any war machine attention. (PS Bolt throwers can't target heroes in a unit, remember that).

Also, you don't 'lose' any attacks from supporting attacks either. Support attacks are made from models directly behind one in combat so even if your warriors are in the 3rd rank they're still behind a model in combat with the enemy so still get to attack ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I was browsing through that thread not too long ago and really liked that one Trusty came up with!

In person I feel the main reason I don't see any palaquin riders is that sadly most the armies I play against are usually just black or grey blobs on movement trays :'(

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently finished it and plan to run it. Lots of models on the table lack a LoS roll. Lots of fast moving vanguarding firebreathing models for example. If you limit yourself to 2.5+ wards and +1 rerollable armor saves you are pretty much end up left with 1 or 2 options for models to paint and only one mark. The same mark everyone limited themselves to last edition, the same one opponents thought was cheesy and needed nerfed. It's kind of a waste of a good army book.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This is how I would build a Palanquin

Chaos Lord
MoN
Charmed Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Palanquin
Poisonous Slime
Nurgle's Rot
Potion of Strength
Sword of Antiheroes

That should be a handful for most enemy characters to deal with, and he has 4 wounds with T5, so there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts