Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i just wanted to post my wifes list get some thoughts she is unlikely to change it but would like some wood elf players thoughts on it please.

Lord

Treemen Ancient level 4 Strangle roots
380pts

Hero

Captain, Tali of pres, Enchated shield, BSB, Spear, Double bow shot
156pts

Core

36 Dryads 6x6 xxx

17 Glade Guard standard champ
224pts

Special

8 Tree kin xxx

Rare

treemen strangle roots
245pts

treemen strangle roots
245pts

So the army is made up with the forest box set the one with 36 dryads and 3 treemen (that was her insperation). She wants to know if this is remotely playable she likes the feel of it but wants to know what kind of tactics could be used? She knows she is putting the archers in the free woods.

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
Hi again! ha ha. Anyway my girlfriend plays wood elves to! (must be a women thing) and I have got to say the only thing I would feel iffy about are the dryads, but as they are a reason for the list, they can work with life magic but I find beast is better for the extra S. Skull cannons will ruin this list in 1/2 rounds of shooting and searing doom!
Even with the monsters and such using terrain to your advantage is key.
Hide behind towers and what not.

Try to tag team with the dryads for ranks and treemen for combat.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Hehe, my GF is slowly taking over my Dark Elf army, so what's that say?
That list should work. Three Treemen is a lot, so I would consider swapping to a L4 Singer at some point and use the extra points to fluff out more of your regiments. Definitely a non-standard list for WE though, and it's trying to be a bit more "bashy". That's not something that Wood Elves do particularly well. The combat units that they've got in the book are really there for putting the finishing touches on units already pincushioned by the bowmen. Your list.... not so many bowmen, so you're going toe-to-toe with stuff like Chaos Warriors without really having any way to soften them up beforehand.
Wouldn't be such a huge problem, if Dryads weren't nerfed into the gutter to begin with.

Playable? Yes.
Pretty? Absolutely.
Thematic? Well, it's all trees...
Competitive? Sadly, gotta give it a "nope" on that one.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She also plays beastmen but we are doing a new project for whenever they do council of war again though we need 2 more people though 1 person has said yes he has said yes to alot of things and then changed his mind any way rant over

She loves treemen her thoughts on this is that 3 shouldn't get killed so easy with life back up i have told her it won't win to often but think she is going for pretty lol that said she has discussed dropping tree kin for a level 2 beast and wild riders not sure if that would work. Her tactic is to kill chalf and any thing that would block or flank with archers and use the 3 strangle roots as high strength range then get the treemen in the front and the ranked units in the side? And of course dwellers anything that moves lol

Thoughts on this?

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Hmm... Treekin for Wild Riders and a L2? That might not be a bad buy, actually. Wild Riders are very much a "one shot" unit, because they're awesome on the charge, and then they die.
The L2 isn't a bad option either. What sucks, is that the Treemen in your Rare don't count as Characters, so not all of the buffs are going to help them out.

I'd also say to ditch out about 12 of those Dryads and swap them over to Glade Guard bowmen, then field two blocks of 14 and consider finding them some Hagbanes. 1 anti-chaff unit may not work out so well with this army, but having two of them would not only allow you to clear the path, but also use them to take out warmachines and their ilk. You've got 29 shots, and if I remember the math, 30 hagbanes will one-shot a Cannon on average rolls.
24 Dryads should be enough, since they're hardly the primary target anyways.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks cap I will pass that on to the wife not sure she will go for it but good suggestions.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update on this she has changed her list a little (not alot)

Lord

Level 4 treemen ancitent stangle roots
280pts

Heros

BSB enchanted shield, tali of pres, asrai spear
152pts

level 1 beast, dispel scroll

Core

18 dryads xxx (6x3)

18 dryads xxx (6x3)

16 Glade guard xxx (bsb and wizard 6x3)

Special

5 wild riders shields standard
140pts

5 wild riders shields standard
140pts

Rare

Treemen strangle roots
245pts

Treemen strangle roots
245pts

So in my mind this list should never be good (my opinion) however she has made it work and work well in the few games she has played with it (5 in total) she has lost 1 drawn 2 and won 2 not sure how she is managing it but this new list seems to work for her she is debating the need of the BSB due to him hiding in woods with the archers. The wild riders kill chaf and circle round for rear charges treemen hit the front dryads in the side she does struggle against heavy armour but she just dwellers them (i hate that spell) but in general she enjoys it and it actually kinda works. Oh and strangle roots is supprisingly useful also.

For 2500 she is planning on a small band of waywatchers dropping level 1 for durthur and boosting the glade guard up a bit glade guard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts