Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some big guns, but between the Overpriced IMO kannon models (They might have been worth 17$ but last years price hike was just too much) and the fact that I really like the look of the German Pak 38s, I'd like to get some appropriately sized models of this type.
I really don't know much about wargames outside of 40K so I was hoping someone could give me the name of another game that is of a similar scale.

Thanks!

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
I've never done this, so you might wait for confirmation before proceeding, but I'm told any 1/35 scale vehicle model or parts will not look out of place. The good news is, you're doing Orks, which means their "slap it together from whatever we can find" mentality offers the modeler a bit of leeway. Also, have you considered scratch-building guns using plastirod and tubing?

·
179 Posts
I have found that realistic model kits don't work very well for WH40K. They can be used for vehicle hulls, but the details are usually finer than the GW kits. For instance, rivets, hatches and tracks are too small for WH40K figures. Most obviously, realistic models of weapons look weedy next to the exaggerated scale of WH40K items. So, the best compromise is using the vehicle hulls but adding WH40k guns, hatches and even tracks. The advantage of that method is that visually they 'tie in' to the GW kits. An alternative is to use styrene tube for gun barrels, which might give them some more 'heft'.
As for scale, I have found that small 1/35 kits and large 1/48 kits are the best match for GW vehicles.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have found that realistic model kits don't work very well for WH40K. They can be used for vehicle hulls, but the details are usually finer than the GW kits. For instance, rivets, hatches and tracks are too small for WH40K figures. Most obviously, realistic models of weapons look weedy next to the exaggerated scale of WH40K items. So, the best compromise is using the vehicle hulls but adding WH40k guns, hatches and even tracks. The advantage of that method is that visually they 'tie in' to the GW kits. An alternative is to use styrene tube for gun barrels, which might give them some more 'heft'.
As for scale, I have found that small 1/35 kits and large 1/48 kits are the best match for GW vehicles.
I agree completely. If you look closely at 40k models (Imperial Guard are the best example) you will see that their equipment is very oversized. Also, the style 40k vehicles and weapons is very different to modern ones. Tanks such as the Leman Russ are very square and chunky in form, with very few curved edges.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I've def. noticed 40K is waaaaaay off on realism, but I thought if I used a AT gun for a Kannon and just use Grots I already had it wouldn't look too weird. Maybe even get a bigger than 40K scale gun to make up for it? If not that... Does anyone know where I might be able to get a cool Gun-shield bit? Thats the main part I want. The rest I can scrap build if I want.

Also, are there any fantasy (Like Empire or Dwarf guns) models that might work? I really dont want to pay 20$ for a metal kannon, but 15 for a plastic one or 2 is cool by me.

·
179 Posts
For Ork Kannon, I would recommend going to a 'bits' retailer and buying spare guns from the Battlewagon kit. (Or swap parts with any friends who play Orks but haven't used those bits. Funnily enough, I used leftover Battlewagon weapons to make Ork Kannon as you can see here and here.

Also, if you are using GW weapons, then they fit the 'What You See Is What You Get' rule. There's no argument with another player about what the weapon is, if you use an original GW piece to represent it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am currently using a German Tiger 1 model to convert a battlewagon. Scale wise, I used a 1/35th scale model, and that translates to about Land-Raider sized for the tank hull. So probably 1/35th scale German field pieces would be the perfect size for grots.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For Ork Kannon, I would recommend going to a 'bits' retailer and buying spare guns from the Battlewagon kit. (Or swap parts with any friends who play Orks but haven't used those bits. Funnily enough, I used leftover Battlewagon weapons to make Ork Kannon as you can see here and here.

Also, if you are using GW weapons, then they fit the 'What You See Is What You Get' rule. There's no argument with another player about what the weapon is, if you use an original GW piece to represent it!
I actually just commited to doing that earlier today. I like seeing the pics, as I was looking for some. Although your Carrage is probably better than what I'm capable of. I currently have 6 Trukk wheel in the mail, and a Forge World Kannon as well. I hav a Zzap gun de-wired and a Killkannon from the upgrade sprue to round out the battery. Not entirly sure how I'm going to mount the wheels so they don't fall over yet... I might use spare Terminator bases I have... although I know arty usually doesn't have bases. The boarding plank is genious, but IDK if I want to wait another week or so for 3 boarding planks to come... plus thats more money into this project.

If I would have gone to the local game store I probably would have perused the German models, but it's a little late now! Thanks for all the advice though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts