Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,
I'm thinking of running WWP deployment for an upcoming match. It'l probably be 1600 points.

The two deployment troops i was thinking of was this

1 Haemy w/destruct,SH,WWP
Raider Squad, 5 warriors, 1 DL,Syr, WWP

Now, i know at first glance this might seem fragile, but i was thinking a single haemonculous should be easy to hide in Spearhead and Dawn of war without really needing to move him at all from his starting spot. On the other hand for pitched battle it'll be of less help.

And the raider squad will probably be used to flat out first turn, then disembark and deploy (not sure on the legality of this, as if the raider hasn't moved, getting out means he can move as normal......so forgoing that should allow deployment.

I would probably hide an incubi squad, a wych squad, 1 talos, and 2 raider squads inside + a normal warrior squad

With 2 ravagers, 1 sniper squad, and the deployment troops starting on the board (thinking ravagers in normal reserve actually).

I was thinking of taking warp beasts somewhere until i realised i'm vsing space wolves. I'm assuming they will have that pesky 3+ armor save, which limits the warp beasts effectiveness.

·
Registered
27 Posts
only one

I think you will find that only one wwp portal to be a mistake. While it is cheap the odds of the opponent killing that one unit are way to high, and if he does you lose. Your risking the game by only using one, and If Im reading this right you only really plan on putting the one unit out to start the game? That pretty much garantees thier death. Also I see no night shield on that very important raider. What happens if they steal the initiative? I strongly suggest one more unit with a wwp, even if its just a sniper squad, Thought the grotesques were pretty much built for this perpose.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
He's got two WWPs. It's still risky though. Using portals forces you on the defensive, and DE don't defend well. If using the portal didn't inhibit your units, then it would be a different story.

Also, disembarking does indeed count as movement, so the Raider squad would have to flat out, wait a turn, disembark, wait a turn, and then finally deploy. Yuck, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
wow, I cant believe I missed that. One on the Haemy and one on the warrior squad. so the Haemy is just going to stand there by himself... in cover, but still... really depending on that shadow field...This army might work, it just depends a little to much on luck, but then again all WWP armies depend on your WWP carrier units not dying, and you can never really garantee that they wont. The Raider unit can not flat out and deploy, but the raider does get a 4+ save when doing a flat out move, and that could possably save that unit as well, I still suggest a Night Shield on the raider though as it can prevent alot of bolter fire from hitting. Good luck with this one, when it works it should work pretty good.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The haemy would be relying on the map having decent line of sight cover, rather then a shadowfield. Most of the maps i play with my friends would have at least one peice of cover that should completey protect the haemy in each deployment area. And the other squad is flexible, the idea is the haemy deploys first turn and the other just powers forward to try get another one further in the field. Thats where deployment type makes a different, a portal at the 18inch mark on dawn of war would be quite hard to deal with, while one on 12inch is a bit less effective. And Spearhead obviously its a bit of a pincer movement, as i could leave a few of the big hitters in reserve to come from the board edge.

The alternative is of course to play more defensively, and have the raider sqaud WWP start in reserve (possible give it that upgrade that alloows you disembark anywhere), so then if the haemy ploy fails i can bring the squad on, deploy it deep in my lines and move the raider a bit up to help block line of sight if its needed.

My personal feeling currently is at 1600 points it might not be worth it bothering with. Especially as i'm vsing space wolves which are wanting to come to me somewhat regardless.

Oh and i wasn't planning on deploying just them. If it was dawn of war, i could depoy just them, however in normal circumstances i'd have 1 sniper squad, and possibly 1 more raider squad (drop dwn 1DL) and 10 man with blast/sc.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I think the best way would be a squad of grotesques. If you have a haemonculous to get a portal for cheap, then use a squad of grotesques, hiding one small infantry squad from the majority of your opponents heavy weapons shouldnt be too hard. Besides

Haemy WWP + 5 Grots is only 150 points, so it's a relatively cheap way to get it 6+D6 inches out of your deployment zone. If that's not enugh put them in a raider for a 12" move turn 1 before you jump out.

The Emperor Proteccts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I frequently field a lone footslogger punisher Archon, and with her drugs she's effectively as fast as a Beast. She's rarely been killed before getting into combat - in fact, she's gotten into combat every time, I think. So a lone Haemy would be particularly easy to keep hidden. I'd try to keep him as close to the edge of your deployment as possible though - you want to maximise the distance you can move from the portal. As for the Warriors, you could just try a typical sniper squad, strung out with the sybarite at the end with the portal. That's much riskier though, but it does mean if you get the first turn you're safe. I believe it's only the deploying model who can't move or shoot, and he can just choose to not shoot whilst the lance wielders fire away...
Alternatively, a second haemy could work, though kill points are a worry.

I'm toying with trying to make 50 points of wargear on my Archon free for a portal, as she's normally ok and won't be useless post- portal deployment. Shadowfield and Drugs should be enough, as Punisher is a weapon, not wargear. Means no plasma grenades though... awkward....

To be honest, the webway portal is looking like one of our best defences against the heavy first turn shooty armies, though if they learn our trick they could just deploy further back...

I'm not sold on Grotesques, because I have no idea how wound allocation works with those guys. That, and any good template weapon will be directed my way, or a fast CC unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts