Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 2 quick questions regarding WYSIWYG tournament settings.

The first being in regards to a chaos dragon. If I have access to Baudros, the 2 Headed Chaos Dragon mount of Egrimm Van Horstmann, an OOP GW model can I still run it in place of a regular choas dragon in WYSIWYG environment.

The second question being in regards to Demon Princes, since they don't currently have a model as the plastic one I heard was coming still hasn't happened yet. What is WYSIWYG for a model like this, do I have to make my own? Can I use a different model, something that looks demon prince-like or perhaps even use a model from another wargame in a WYSIWYG environment? If and when the regular demon prince model comes out, will I need to buy that to remain WYSIWYG?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
If anyone has a problem with you taking Baudros, who is a Chaos Dragon, and using him as... well... a chaos dragon, they should be slapped with a sock full of metal trolls.

Likewise, if you have something which could conceivably be recognised as a Daemon Prince, and not readily confused with anything else in the WoC list, you should be fine.

I use Be'Lakor myself. He's so damn pretty...

·
Schemer
481 Posts
If you have access to old Greater Deamon model, they could be easily recognized as Deamon Prince (they are very small and come with adequate base). I made mine using an old Bloodthirster (so ugly he looked like a dog) and replacing his arms and head from spawn bitz.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Reaper makes some amazing models that could easily pass for a demon prince.

As for the Chaos Dragon, why yes, yes you could use Baudros. Just because it is OOP does not make him any less a chaos dragon.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
I use Belakor as well. Its a very nice model. He sits smaller than a blood thirster and have taken him to tournaments where no one cared. I also have the van horstmann model that I will start to use for a chaos dragon. Since they don't have a chaos dragon model, if you used a HE dragon and just painted it chaos-like, you shouldn't get any complaints either.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
I had 2 quick questions regarding WYSIWYG tournament settings.

The first being in regards to a chaos dragon. If I have access to Baudros, the 2 Headed Chaos Dragon mount of Egrimm Van Horstmann, an OOP GW model can I still run it in place of a regular choas dragon in WYSIWYG environment.

The second question being in regards to Demon Princes, since they don't currently have a model as the plastic one I heard was coming still hasn't happened yet. What is WYSIWYG for a model like this, do I have to make my own? Can I use a different model, something that looks demon prince-like or perhaps even use a model from another wargame in a WYSIWYG environment? If and when the regular demon prince model comes out, will I need to buy that to remain WYSIWYG?

Thanks in advance
1st question - hell yeah. There is only the special character Chaos dragon available as a specific Chaos Dragon model, the Egrimm Van Horstmann model is a valid, Games Workshop model, the base size is different but you are using the base supplied with the model, so in the strictest sense, this is a valid model to use in battles. I have two Imrik models from 4th ed Fantasy era and 1 model from 6th ed - I can use them all (along with the old Kargos the despolier model which didn't come with a base...)

You CAN use the High Elf dragon model, or any other model - hell you could even use a Wyvern and say it "counts as" a Dragon as there is no entry for Wyvern under Chaos Lords as a mount choice..similarly a Griffon or Hippogryph could "count as" a Manticore.

As for the second question. Any valid GW model that looks like a Chaos demon can be used. You could go so far as using a Blood Thirster or Keeper of Secrets, the Belakor model, even the 40K Chaos Demon Prince, and arguably the Herald models at a pinch as long as its mounted on the correct base size for the unit entry, there are no entries for Greater demons in the Warriors list, so a Greater demon or related model could easily "count as" as Demon Prince. The WYSIWYG rules in fantasy are a lot less strict than 40K, mainly as heroes can have so many different combinations of magical items like bows or spears or curiasses or chaos gifts etc that it wouldn't really be feasible to model them all. generally - if teh model is mounted on an appropriate mount, is discernably a wizard or heroic character, and carrying a banner or a shield as appropriate, this is more than ample to conform to WYSIWYG rules in Fantasy. Lances and other weapons don't have to be held, bows can be "hidden" as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As for the second question. Any valid GW model that looks like a Chaos demon can be used.
This brings up a good question. If there is no model for a certain character (such as the WoC Demon Prince) does the model have to be GW? I know conversions have to be 50% GW, but what about a scratch-built model with no GW supplied equivalent?

I know GW gets a little uppity if a third party vendor calls one of their models by the same name as the GW counterpart, even if there is no character model for it (which is why you'll see stuff like this on eBay a lot) but surely this can not extend to the player?

I seem to remember reading in Rogue Trader something along the lines of "right now we don't have a model for vehicles, so use whatever you think is appropriate in size and configuration." Is there any reason this should not apply now?

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
I frequent a few different tournaments throughout the year and all are indy GTs, but most don't care if you use GW models or not, but some do. For an official GW tournament like 'Ard Boyz, I don't know the rules, but I'd guess they'd want as much GW models as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.