Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have seen the new Forge World tau battle suit, The XV9 'Hazard' suit, I am asking for your opinion.

I really like the model and am wanting to include it in my army, I know that to use FW models you must ask for permission, and my friends will allow it. However I'm nearly positive the other local gamers would disapprove. I am asking if I can use it simply as an XV8 if I put the proper wargear and guns and play it as one?

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
If you have seen the new Forge World tau battle suit, The XV9 'Hazard' suit, I am asking for your opinion.

I really like the model and am wanting to include it in my army, I know that to use FW models you must ask for permission, and my friends will allow it. However I'm nearly positive the other local gamers would disapprove. I am asking if I can use it simply as an XV8 if I put the proper wargear and guns and play it as one?
It is an official GW model so you could use it for anything you like within reason (you wouldn't use it to represent a Hammerhead or Fire Warrior for instance) as long as you let your opponent know what it represents and you show any weapons/wargear that are required to be illustrated.

·
655 Posts
I have an XV-9, and it's a beautiful model in real life.

I'd totally let you get away with modelling/playing pretty much any suit that's made by either GW or FW, assuming you let me know ahead of time, and tried to get it to be modelled with the correct equipment.

However, there are a lot of 'other bits' on it that will make it significantly different that other XV-8s on the board. If you think that your opponents at the LGS will give you heat about playing the suit in general, I'd bet they'll give you heat about the differences in the suit configuration as well (particularly the VRT bits on the back of the suit - with the wings and all that).

However, you could just say its a HQ suit or something, so it needs to be suitably grand. I use the FW suits as Team Leaders in each of my crisis squads, so there usually isn't too much of an issue with anyone I play (even in tournaments).

·
655 Posts
If you are willing to cut the end of the arms off (or not install them), and replace them with regular XV-8 arms, then it doesn't really take that much work to do it. However, it looks like... garbage. The XV-8 arm is different enough from the XV-9 arm that I couldn't see it looking that good.

I would try to shave off the burst cannons, to maintain the look of the arms and then attach the weapons you want. If you are good with GS this should be no problem at all. Or you could order two different suits from FW, and use the extra weapons you get from them to put on the XV-9.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
I wouldn't be too hasty in doing anything with the weapons/arms just yet though; I've a funny feeling that there'll either be other XV9s brought out with different weapon load-outs, or else there will be a weapons issue with a decent selection of options. That's why I'm holding off purchasing one of these babies until I have more definite info.

E.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
I wouldn't be too hasty in doing anything with the weapons/arms just yet though; I've a funny feeling that there'll either be other XV9s brought out with different weapon load-outs, or else there will be a weapons issue with a decent selection of options. That's why I'm holding off purchasing one of these babies until I have more definite info.

E.
Yep it has been said by GW that different weapons options are going to be available for the XV9, this is why I have not purchased any yet. I would not be surprised to see plastic versions in the next year to 18 months and I also have a feeling we will be seeing more Tau releases by FW. Methinks a new Codex is on the way. So as Eigle says, hold of with the conversions as it is not that easy to modify resin anyway, unless you are skilled I would just wait and see and preserve the model (theya re not cheap).

·
Registered
261 Posts
No conversion work should be necessary. Like the Forge World XV8s the full arm comes in 4 components: shoulder pad, elbow, forearm and burst cannons.

If you want to use them as an XV8 conversion should be fairly simple and I can see 2 approaches. You can cut off the buttress coming off the side of the forearm or you could modify some of the plastic XV8 weapons and leave the XV9 intact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts