1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wher dat naked blue chik?
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
Shiver me timbers jimlad! That there looks like me first mate!

Yarr har har! Very good indeed! Looking forward to seeing him painted!

Cap'n Rich.

P.S. Arrrrr!

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slow progress is still progress. Don't judge me.

I worked on the exhaust ports. The ork has cybork lungz.

I still need to add to the bottom, throw in wires, maybe a gas tank.

And I added cuff links to the sleeve.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Looks good, I hate making coat sleeves over the ork arms, it always looks crap how I do it... there must be a secret!

Share with me great internet tiger!

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well you might hate this but... you take a piece of GS, then you wrap it around the arm. Seems easy, but it is indeed really hard. Ork arms have terribly bunched up biceps so the distance from the shoulder to the elbow is botched. First try for me ended up with a huge amount of GS in the inner elbow. Use less GS on the inside, and more on the back on the arm (triceps side). Then for the crease I took a few thin "noodles" of GS in the bent inner elbow. Use your lubricant (or water if you fear odd looks from people walking into your work area and seeing a used up tub of Vasoline next to dirty rags) to smoothen this into the sleeve, and thin it out. Then take the back of a hobby knife or your finger nail and make some thin indentations.

For the cuffs I just make a thin strip, let it stiffen for a good half hour, then wrapped it around. Make sure to make the lip of the sleeve defined so that people see it as rolled up, and not just bunched up.

About time someone noticed my latest trend of avatars. They're GRRREEEAAAT!

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I've always noticed you as the tiger man, I never seen you with another avatar I think... I was making an ork kaptin similar to yours but I didn't have any sculpting tools so I was using a blade for everything and it was very messy, everytime I tried to make the indentations for the creases thats what would throw me off, the blade just made cuts in it, it didn't look very crease-y.

Thanks for this :)

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've always noticed you as the tiger man, I never seen you with another avatar I think... I was making an ork kaptin similar to yours but I didn't have any sculpting tools so I was using a blade for everything and it was very messy, everytime I tried to make the indentations for the creases thats what would throw me off, the blade just made cuts in it, it didn't look very crease-y.

Thanks for this :)
Honestly most of this was hand done. If you do layers (the back of the coat for example took about 5 pieces) you can get better details, and need not to rely purely on tools. Fingernails, a hobby knife, your tongue (please read label for toxicity first), and some water are all you need. If you want to be a real pro, get some petrolium jelly. Making smooth edges is as simple as a swipe with your index finger.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Well to be honest, I have so many projects going on at once, as you may or may not have noticed, but its because my "workbench" is where my computer is I rarely get anything done...

·
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Comparison time!

This ork has received many mixed reviews from different players. On LO it doesn't get much say (except: needs more muscle), on the-waaagh it's considered un-orky, and on ultinomicon it's a hoot. One major concern people have with it is the size of him. To get things straight, I decided to take a picture of it next to a standard marine, and an imperial guardsman.

Full size picture link

1 - 17 of 17 Posts