Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity is anyone else absolutely bored out of their mind if they see Marines play Necrons?
I find it one of the most boring match ups possible and much prefer to see people like Orks jump in and give the game a good jump start and a sense of drama.
Perhaps I'm just really biased because I feel the Necron book is an insufferable bore which is a shame since I find Necrons very very interesting and nearly went them once.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I find it marginally less boring than marines vs marines. Hell, I find it boring enough when I'm using any army vs marines. I gave up using my ultramarines about 2 years ago and I've never regretted it.

At least when necrons play against marines there is the chance that the marine player doesn't have a clue how to win and might screw up big time. I think its not too boring when there's a C'tan wandering around scaring the hell out of things. Nothing like the deceiver to jumble things up in a game.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
As a Black Templars player whose majority of games have been against Necrons, I really can't understand how people can call it boring. Have you tried playing scenarios? Have the Necrons tried different builds? Have the Marines tried different builds?

What about the game is boring? I always relish a chance to send the Necrons packing. One of these days I'm going to kill them, and NONE of them well get back up. Some fun challenges are figuring out how (or sometimes, whether or not) to deal with the Monolith, or killing the Necron Lord.

Another thing is, it could be the players themselves making it boring... Me and my bud joke around and make snide comments at each other all game, and set up cool tables that end up with heroic duels over a bridge, or crazy ambushes.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Just out of curiosity is anyone else absolutely bored out of their mind if they see Marines play Necrons?
I know you asked who else does, but I can only tell you that I don't.
If Marines and Necrons go against each other competitively, both players equally skilled and the dice fair, then Necrons will lose. If both sides tailor their lists against each other Necrons would lose even worse. But there are some really skilled Necron players out there (among those that have not given up on the army for now, their percentage is relatively high) who have no problem beating most Marine lists. Especially capture and control is a mission Necrons excel at.

I, for one, keep games Marines versus Necrons interesting by making some adjustments. First off: we banned phase-out. That makes the Necrons' opponent play the mission, instead of just ignoring everything and sweeping warriors. Second thing I do is try different approaches: I played Necrons with 54% of my army being typhoon landspeeders and having only troops otherwise, and very few of them - and then we got seize ground with five objectives. Etc...

So, no doubt: the Necron codex in its current state with fifth edition rules is broken. It's just under-powered. But games do not have to be boring, you can do something about it! The Necron players should optimize their tactics as best as they can, search the internet, try different builds, make use of all the mean exploits they can. Phase-out can be abolished (one of the easiest rule modifications towards a more balanced Necron army, I reckon). And the Marines can try something different too, make it interesting.

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
Necrons vs Marines isn't half as boring as Marines vs Marines or worse... Necrons vs Necrons! The only interest in this match up is through observing the amusing arguements about wether enemy models can benifit from buffs to all 'Necrons' producted by the opponent (Res Orbs, Tomb Spyders etc).

Most hilariously, in one Necron vs Necron game I saw, one player had downed a unit of Destroyers, but they were within range of a Spyder, so they repaired in the only Destroyer unit left on the table... which was owned by the opponent. It was so retardedly funny they let it slide.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The thing is that Necrons while cool are a bit one sided in the book only 1 troop choice I’m so sick of marines in fact I almost collected Necrons as my first army coze the guy at GW said they where great at killing marines then I discovered they only had one troop choice. I don’t really mind marines but I’m just so board with them and I wish GW wouldn’t advitse them so much but it’s the ultimate question do 60% of players have marines because GW gives them so much support of dose GW give them so much support because so many people play them ?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
No because I enjoy watching a necron player curbstomp marine players who foolishly assume the necron codex is completely unplayable.

Plus the most boring matchup in the game is necrons versus necrons - the only way to give one side an edge is to include c'tan or pariahs (the second most boring matchup is DE versus marines).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts