Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as requested by Miketehfox and Lost Nemesis, here I am.

I've always been into Steampunk (see sig and Order of the Shadowy Flame in Clans) and lately I've been getting dissatisfied with 40k, which seems to be becoming increasingly pretentious and dull (if I hear the words "grim gothic" again I may scream). The rumours I've heard about the next ed of 40k don't sound good either.

Sooo... I bought the Prime book, quite liked the background and think I might buy a few models to paint. Not sure if I'm going to go for a faction yet, or just make a few models and see how they look, but big clanky robots and techies with goggles on seems pretty appealing. I'll let you know how I get on: I particularly like the diving-suit style merc warjacks.

Cheers all,

S.

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I've got Prime Remix. I'm still trying to figure out the rules: after nigh-on a decade of 40k it's quite hard to get the hang of another set of rules.

At the moment individual models appeal more to me than armies. I think each faction has some models that are much better than others, and the newer models that aren't in the book are generally the best. I like the Khador jacks and man'o'war guys, but Cygnar has some nice stuff, as does Cryx. Actually, the Privateer Press models which appeal the most are the trollkins, which are for Hordes!

So I think I'll just buy a few models and see where I go from there.

·
KITTENS GIVE MORBO GAS!
3,922 Posts
Steer, I understand what you mean about 40k. I've come to that impasse myself. I'm sure I'll pick it back up some time, but PP has captured my immagination!

TROLLS REPRESENT!

Welcome to the growing PP section of LO!

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
I've heard about the next ed of 40k don't sound good either.
See, I am actually pretty excited to see what is coming with 40K.v.5. It promises (promises) to make the game smoother and more streamlined.

The appeal of the PP games to me is the fact that I only need ten big, detailed models rather than fifty little ones to play a medium-sized game. Even my relatively Horde-y Protectorate list doesn't make it to twenty models. The system is smooth and streamlined, and it requires much more abstract thinking than GW games. (That's both a good thing and a bad thing, but change is always good.)

I'm with you Yak: "Up with Trollkin! Hail, Children of Dhunia!" ;Y

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've gone and bought the dire troll mauler. He is big. I've not worked with a large metal miniature for years, and it's a weird experience. Much greenstuff is involved. He's a great model, though: he looks like Clive Barker's Rawhead after a few pies. I'm attempting a minor conversion to have him standing up a bit straighter. We'll see how I go.

I also won a couple of trollkin gun chaps on ebay (can't remember the term, a bit like musketeers). I like the weird mix of Scotsmen and soldiers: they look cool. Again, I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Scattergunners are simply obscene for their points. awesome buy there, I will say.

Enjoy the kilt wearers=)

OT-Me, I haven't played 40k in almost 6 months now, after several kicks in the balls @ poorly run tourneys, something that i'm sure can happen in WM/H, but the general play is more enjoyable currently. No intention of giving up my stuff-OT

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
If you have a Mauler and Scattergunners, Doomshaper is the logical choice for Warlock. You don't have to worry about controlling Fury with the Mauler when it inevitably freaks out, and Fortune'd Scattergunners are light blue Murder.

Doomshaper
- Dire Troll Mauler
- Troll Axer
Trollkin Scattergunners (x6)
Fell Caller
(349 pts / 13 VPs)

Makes a nice 350 point list to start out with. Good shooting, good magic, good beatdowns, nice and resilient.

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update on the frenzied buying. So far I have:

Dire troll mauler
2 impalers
1 axer
Madrak Ironhide
2 scattergunners (eventually to become 6 or 7, I hope).

First impressions are that I really like the models: detail is good and they look a weird mix of cartoony, well hard and (oddly) friendly. They should be good to paint. The only thing I dislike is the bizarre metal petals around Ironhide's head, which I might try to get rid of.

The Doomshaper model is quite nice, but the one I really like is Grim Angus, who may not be great in the game but looks very cool indeed. I shall have a go at the models over the next week, and try to put up some pictures in a while. Should be interesting!

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
That's one of the main things I love about Privateer Press mini's. they've got so much character! They can make humorous models like Lord Rockbottom and the Gobber Bodgers, and awesome models like the Warjacks and Carniveans.

I could spend some serious money on PP stuff...

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I've nearly finished my first Troll impaler, and it's a great model, but there's one small problem. The paint won't stay on it. It chips so easily that I've been forced to use Humbrol Matt Cote on it, which I hate doing as it isn't very matt at all. Would washing the models first help? Or using succesive coats of matt cote? Has anyone else run into this problem with Privateer stuff?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
It's all in the primer mate=)

Using a nice automotive primer is usually the best, as they usually contain a bit of self etch, meaning they "grab" extremely well. Once on, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with chipping with even a moderate amount of matte or semig gloss coating.

I usually use armorcast primer, which is soso, but on somthing I was gonna spend a ton of time on I'd step up to the good stuff.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
I actually anticipated such a problem when I picked up my first raw PP mini.

Very detailed models require very detailed molds. The more complex the mold, the more difficult it is to release the figure from the mold. Therefore, the manufacturer puts a releasing agent, like a silicone, on the surface of the mold before casting the figure.

You may or may not have noticed a whitish, almost powdery substance all over the figure when you took it out of the blister. That's the releasing agent. It's designed to have nothing stick to it. Including paint.

With all PP figures (and all white metal figures, in general) before I do anything to them, I wash them. A bowl of warm water, a drop or two of dish soap and an old toothbrush does the trick. Scrub and rinse the miniature and when it's dry, primer should have no problem sticking to it.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
I've just recently joined Oz Painters and was reading this fantastic article (thanks to Automaton - aka Seb). It shows how much work he puts into the prep on miniatures.

Oz Painters :: View topic - metallics

Then it goes into an awesome tutorial in washing metallics.

Hope that helps! I really recommend you read it! :)

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, here we are at last. My first Privateer Press model - a trollblood impaler. I really like the model, especially the roast chickens on his belt. The detail's great. Strange to be painting metal again.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
That came out very nice. The skin, especially, has a nice depth to it. Kudos! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.