1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yeah, it happens in Gloucester, near where I used to live. Funnily enough, the name of the hill, Cooper's Hill, is actually my surname too (Cooper, that is, not Hill!).

Here is a video for your enjoyment.
YouTube - Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling 2009

I particularly enjoy the advice the spectator shouts at 53s.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I've seen that cheese rolling on the news, occasionally. Has anyone ever actually caught the cheese? That doesn't seem to be the point, honestly, because I swear there was no cheese rolled in the last half of that video. They're all just running down the hill for the sake of it!

It does look like a lot of fun... probably more for the spectators, though.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yep, in 1894 my great great great great (I think) grandfather (might only be 3 greats but I'm pretty sure its 4) Cuthbert Cooper caught the cheese. That's why it's called Cooper's Hill, because he was the first, and is still the only, person to have caught the cheese.

And yes, the cheese is generally of secondary importance.

EDIT: The first bit of this post is a lie. I was expecting to get called on it but so far no-one has. Now someone repped me for it and I kinda feel bad now. Oops.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Looks pretty popular, even with foreign participation. Check out 1:58, the guy with the red, yellow and black stripes looks to be wearing a Waikato rugby shirt.

Insane sport though, that must be said O_O. Insanely random too, for that matter. I must say, in Western society we have some odd traditions.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
You Australians can definitely use it! Not only are you tied to this bunch of loonies, but the manner in which you're tied speaks volumes.
Basically- the guys on the hill all got together and looked at you Aussies and said:
"You bunch of crazy degenerates- GET OUT!"
thanks for all the good music though, haha.

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
I used to live at the bottom of that hill in Brockworth...

But regarding Aussies...Any nation that contains 11 of the 10 deadliest animals on the planet has to have some pretty hard-core inhabitants...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to mention Great Whites cruising around our coastlines the wholetime. I must admit, I am kind of paranoid each time I go to the beach, even more so up north. But up north, there are worse things than sharks in the water.

I've only ever seen one of our dangerous creatures in the wild though, and I had to be driving across the desert (I was literally in the middle of nowhere). It was a snake, I forget which.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Any nation that contains 11 of the 10 deadliest animals on the planet
Is this including the Aussies themselves? :)

Also I heard the other day about rules one of your motor racing events is bringing into force about only allowing 24 cans of beer per person per day. 24 cans! That's a ridiculous amount! And people are complaining? You Aussies are crazy!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also I heard the other day about rules one of your motor racing events is bringing into force about only allowing 24 cans of beer per person per day.
WHAT? HOW DARE THEY!:freaked-out:

But seriously, yeah a lot of us do tend to drink like fish, and most of us manage to have a good time without ruining it for others! Unfortunately, occasionally some people get violent as a result of drinking, leading to situations like the above, or talks of raising the legal drinking age to 21, or being able to arrest and charge parents who supply house parties with alcohol.

Really gives all of us a bad international rep. We have our own nick name for them: bogans and yobbos. I've never heard either used as anything but an insult, or without carrying negative connotations. Booze has become a part of our culture, but some people never grow up, and just can't control themselves. Its a shame, really. :(

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Is this including the Aussies themselves? :)
Quite possibly :sinister:

24 cans! That's a ridiculous amount! And people are complaining?
I couldn't believe this when I heard it either! You'd almost need to be drinking from the moment you woke up to the time you passed out to get through that much...

Then again, I'm one of those 'weird' Australians who doesn't drink and thus has little experience in such matters. I'm sure it's possible to drink that much, but even some of my friends who I through were heavy drinkers would struggle to polish off a carton by themselves. Obviously it's possible, though, otherwise people wouldn't complain they didn't have enough booze.

I feel sorry for the livers of those people...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.