Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
By the Silver Sword!
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had all the space and all the money you wanted, what would your dream gaming board be?

For 40K, it would have to be a ruined city. Something across between Hellgate: London and Osgiliath. And huge! Bigh enough for a 10,000 point battle!

For Fantasy: I nice open grassy field with a few peices of terrain like a few ares of decent sized woods, a ruined watch tower, and maybe a hill at one end... or both ends!

So tell me; What is your dream gaming board like?

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
For 40K, it would have to be a ruined city. Something across between Hellgate: London and Osgiliath. And huge! Bigh enough for a 10,000 point battle!
Same here, with a O scale train running through it (with convert trains to look more 40k). I'd also love an extensive sewer system underneath it, like 2 tables in 1.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Id love a proper fantasy gaming board, most boards i see are set for 40K, with just bits of scatter terrain to be used for fantasy battles. 6'x4' is fine for most games, and a dartboard style base so you could have terrain customisably placable.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
3 Boards-

Cityfight - For those who have played Company of Heroes, think the Lyon map layout but obviously with 40k buildings

Battlefield - Some sort of battlefield with trenches, bunkers and no mans land. Plenty of mines, barbed wire etc

Dead planet - A volcanic planet with streams of lava, large rock piles etc

·
351 Posts
I made my "dream" board. It's just a GW 6x4 table that I rebased and reflocked. It's just a grassy field, and I got lots of terrain for both fantasy and 40k. I love it.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
Actually Stormcatcher I was dreaming something like you... In one end a forest with lots of bombardment holes, followed by a no man's land and then a city wall and behind it a ruined city... ;?

·
Registered
428 Posts
2" x 4" modular table blocks, so you can put 3 of any combo together to get a 4" x 6". All fantasy.

3 plain grass - for when you want an open field
River section - potential for cutting board in 2
2 Hill sections - for 1/3 hill field or a full sloping crecy styled uphill charge into the teeth of the enemy
3 Town sections including one port section
1 Vilage section
1 Castle section
1 Dwarven Fortress section
3 Wooded Sections
3 Desolate sections - Desert

erm, I think thats all I can think of, you did say size is no object, I think I could just about fit those in my loft.

·
By the Silver Sword!
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2" x 4" modular table blocks, so you can put 3 of any combo together to get a 4" x 6". All fantasy.

3 plain grass - for when you want an open field
River section - potential for cutting board in 2
2 Hill sections - for 1/3 hill field or a full sloping crecy styled uphill charge into the teeth of the enemy
3 Town sections including one port section
1 Vilage section
1 Castle section
1 Dwarven Fortress section
3 Wooded Sections
3 Desolate sections - Desert

erm, I think thats all I can think of, you did say size is no object, I think I could just about fit those in my loft.
Now THAT is an awesome idea. Mind if I steal it? 8X

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Yup Nachtjager thats pretty much mine too- id love to have a load of modular, contoured blocks for fantasy. Id also have winter versions of all of them, and some desert modules, with pyramids, and a bedouin camp/oasis get up.

Id also like a really nice Cities of Death board- a little like the ones at Warhammer world, only far more lavish- with a ruined monorail! and a bombed out Cathedral! and a Space Station!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Now THAT is an awesome idea. Mind if I steal it? 8X
Knock yourself out man, me and a mate did this set up of modular terrain when we were about 15, but we only got as far as the 3 blank fields, 1 of the hill sections and the river. The village we had and just plopped on top of it, same for the woods.

It was a fairly good way of doing it as the river was carved into the MDF we had used (think it was around an inch thick) and the hill was a polystyrene add on to the top of one of the boards, they all stacked really well and due to the size they just stored away nicely under my m8s bed.

Although his mum did used to complain about hoovering up the flock rubboff onto the carpet each time we used em ;)

·
166 Posts
I don't know whether this really counts, but...

I've had an idea for my dream table. It's one I've been mulling over in my mind for a while, and I know I can build it, it's just a question of whether I will. The plan is, it's a plain, standard 4'x6' table, but two removable leaves on the ends can reduce it to 4'x4'. The entire thing also comes apart and folds up so that it can fit in the trunk of my car. The leaves and legs fit inside the main table part. It should fold down to about 4'x2'x8" thick.

I'll be sure to post pictures if that ever comes to fruition. For now, I'm actually thinking of a much smaller version to use for GorkaMorka, which will just store all the needed minis and scenery inside.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I am (really slowly though) building my dreamtable.
It's a 40K one, of course, and it'll be a ruined city partially covered by jungle. It'll also have some open spaces where the concret ground has been ripped open to create trenches.

It'll have a spaceport and a huge astropath-enhancing thingie, like a giantic "stargate".

I've got a few neutral (Imperial) buldings and eventually I'll build a set of scenery thingies for each of the races to mix in with the Imperial ones to make it possible to show signs of an ongoing war between any two (or more races).

Though being me, it's bound to take some time:)

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Hmmm. The modular table is a great idea, hmmm, if I ever get my own place and stop living in closet sized rooms in other people's homes I might give it a shot.

For 40k, I'd like to have a large area split down the middle by a large, impassable canyon, complete with a river all the way down at the bottom. On either side would be sparse ruins and outcroppings of small trees and rocks for cover. Passing over the canyon would 2 or 3 bridges. I think it'd be a lot of fun - maybe throw in some rules about people falling to their deaths.

·
Renaissance Man
280 Posts
My dreams are slightly more unfeasible/insane. One idea that sticks with me is as follows:

A 40k scale model in the style of Stalingrad (or similar ruined city) during the height of the battle. It would have a 40k feel and detail though. I'm talking about a WHOLE SECTION of city centre with film miniature detail.

I'd get weta workshop (lotr miniatures) to make it for me.

Working trains, smoke machines and lights are a must. I'd get it made in a big warehouse and made so that areas can detach and move apart for ease of gaming. Possibility of overhead gantry system for placing models.

This would of course come with massive armies painted by many serfs. Remote control armoured companies is an idea that springs to mind.

;)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The best for game play is what I have. a 6X4 glass table. Take markers and draw terrain on it. It makes it SOOOOOO EASY! No models tipping over, terrain is different each and every time.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
The best for game play is what I have. a 6X4 glass table. Take markers and draw terrain on it. It makes it SOOOOOO EASY! No models tipping over, terrain is different each and every time.
Hahahaha, good idea, i'd never do that 'cause i love to model, but great idea none the less.

·
Registered
17 Posts
probobly a apoc board like 2 10x6 boards with a gap in the middle for pplz to walk...and lots of modular boards to put on top if i wanted say a port or a powerplant..and a massive cruiser orbiting which u can deepstrike onto....or maybe a imperitor titan which also serves as a small cityfight board:soldier:​

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Hey alex, i see you're pretty new here, so welcome to LO :) Id just like to point out that necro-ing (posting in and hence reviving old threads) is not really the done thing. No harm done this time! Just a little heads up for the future :) If you could check out the LO forum rules that would be great, thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.