Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen verry many army lists w/ Rippers as a main Troop choice, and being a novice I'm just not sure if it's because they suck, or because there hard to get in any large amounts. The reason I am wondering is because I am planning an army (see army lists: Hive Fleet Enjambre) that calls for 41 Ripper bases w/ 3 Rippers to a base. Before I start to collect my rippers I want to know if they suck.

·
438 Posts
Depends what you want to use them as. If I recall, they can't capture table quarters, which is a downside, but they don't require synapse, which is a plus. They die horribly to Strength 6+ hits, but are perhaps the cheapest wounds in the 40K universe to soak up anything less with. Great for tieing up enemies in melee most of the time. Easy way to hold foes in place while the CC-fex moves up. Well, provided you're not fighting the Grey Knights anyway. I think most don't use them because they're fairly slow by default compared to most 'nids so they don't always fit in a list very well. and by the time you upgrade them, you could field 3 spineguants for a single point more. Which would be faster, more durable, and include some shooting, though slightly less effective in melee without the leaping ability's 4" range and also in need of synapse.

I'm building a 'zilla list that uses them as primary troops in conjunction with small broods of spineguants for controlling table quarters, but the main difficulty I keep running into is the pain of getting the models. And forgeworld ones are only good if you're not planning to upgrade the rippers any or feel like a good bit of conversion. So that leaves me buying boxes of guants and warriors on ebay since it's cheaper then bits ordering the sprues from GW directly.

In the case of your interesting army, I'd say swap out 1 or 2 broods of rippers for guants so you have some more units that can control table quarters, plus you'll have to spend less on models. Or, since you're just getting leaping... The forgeworld ones should do you fine, which would be a lot cheaper then getting the normal ones from GW. Check them out here. They come in sets of 9 you can make into 3 bases, or 3 bases with a mound of rippers each already on them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
arcanecantrips said:
I haven't seen verry many army lists w/ Rippers as a main Troop choice, and being a novice I'm just not sure if it's because they suck, or because there hard to get in any large amounts. The reason I am wondering is because I am planning an army (see army lists: Hive Fleet Enjambre) that calls for 41 Ripper bases w/ 3 Rippers to a base. Before I start to collect my rippers I want to know if they suck.
I used to think Rippers were cool until I started playing around with the numbers. They have 2 big strikes against them:

- Tough is 3 (meaning insta-death with Str 6+ weapons)
- Initiative sucks (as well as most of the other stats on them)

I believe they used to be able to have the rending ability, which if true would've made them excellent troop choices.

As they are, by the time you put upgrades into them to make them viable, you'd might as well buy something else.

·
438 Posts
Laplace said:
I used to think Rippers were cool until I started playing around with the numbers. They have 2 big strikes against them:

- Tough is 3 (meaning insta-death with Str 6+ weapons)
- Initiative sucks (as well as most of the other stats on them)

I believe they used to be able to have the rending ability, which if true would've made them excellent troop choices.

As they are, by the time you put upgrades into them to make them viable, you'd might as well buy something else.
Indeed, much like normal guants the upgrades are often not worth the expense. However, they serve as some of the best cannon fodder you can get if un-upgraded, at a mere 3 1/3rd point per wound. Even less then a spineguant.

If your army is low on synapse, Rippers are useful replacements for guants since they don't need synapse. And if you just want to fill obligatory troop choices, they're the cheapest you can possibly get.

So I'd say they're good in the right circumstances, but suck wind something aweful the rest of the time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise, now for my other question: Leaping is the only Biomorph I have on my rippers, because all I want them to do is distract the enimy from my 4 fexes, gargoyles, and broodlore w/ retinue. is this an effective way of acheving this? I did the math (which I am not good at) and came to the conclusion that even though spine gaunts cost less the Rippers actually cost less per wound attack and Ld. For less of a cost, I can have more wounds attacks and a better Ld. Is my math valid or should I go back to High School?

·
438 Posts
For protecting fexes and broodlords, rippers should be fine, but they don't need leaping. Just deploy them ahead of the other models. They can't keep up with Gargoyles unless you give them the winged biomorph. Which makes them rather pricey. The catch to all those wounds is that a single wound from a strength 6 or higher weapon will kill the entire base in one shot. So if it only costs 1 point more for 3 seperate spineguants who don't have that weakness and can move faster then leaping rippers to boot, then it really comes down to how much Synapse you have. With plenty of Synapse, the spineguants are superior bang for your cannon-fodder buck because. With low Synapse, the Rippers are better.

But if you're playing something that needs scoring units, you have to remember that Rippers don't count for anything, while guants do. So if you play anything besides a straight Seek and Destroy game, then over-reliance on rippers can get you in trouble.

Rippers are good cheap wound fodder, if you keep them cheap by avoiding biomorphs. Spineguants are less cheap fodder that can score and have more versatility (some shooting, faster movement, better initiative, no weakness to blasts). Personally, I'd take a mix of the two.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Rippers are supposed to be a speedbump like the Necron scarab. But rippers are too expensive (compare them to Necron scarabs) and move too slow to be an effective option. They are typically outpaced by almost everything in a Tyranid army so the only thing they're useful for is adding numbers to existing CC and by the time they get there everything is already dead.

·
438 Posts
LordCreampuff said:
Rippers are supposed to be a speedbump like the Necron scarab. But rippers are too expensive (compare them to Necron scarabs) and move too slow to be an effective option. They are typically outpaced by almost everything in a Tyranid army so the only thing they're useful for is adding numbers to existing CC and by the time they get there everything is already dead.
For most of the 'nids list this is correct. But 'fexes, broodlords, walking tyrants, and zoans all move at the same pace as rippers. So everything in arcanecantrips's army list except the gargoyles is already ripper-speed. So being outpaced isn't really going to be a problem for this list. And they're cheaper per wound then even spineguants. Though rippers do still have downsides, they are a viable option in a slower-moving 'nids force.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts