Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indeed, you've encountered this thread...

And I've encountered this problem... And now I will need your help to solve it! ;)

In the Army Book, it says about the Icon Bearer:

• May choose magic items from the Common or Tomb Kings magic items list to a maximum total value of 50 pts. Alternatively, he can choose a magic banner (no points limit).

The problem with these two sentences is that they can be interpreted in two very different ways.

1. The IB can choose a banner AND another magic item as long as it does NOT exceed the 50 pts limit (banners are still magic items). If it does, ONLY banners are acceptable...
  2. The IB cannot choose a banner AND another magic item. If he/she chooses an enchanted item for example, he must drop the banner. If he/she chooses the banner, he cannot wield any other magic items, even if he's below the 50 pts limit...

And what I want is to hear your oppinion! :)

//Nagash

·
859 Posts
As long as the banner is non-magical in nature he can have 50pts of magic items. As soon as the banner is magical he cannot take any other magic items - whatever the points cost of the banner he picks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The key word is ALTERNATIVELY. Characters can only take a banner if their profile says they can. The IB's profile only says he can if he doesn't take magic items. Sorry, no loophole here.
Alternatively, you could post in Ask Nagash.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ya he is right, as all banners in our book, besides standard war banner are under magic banners that would be a no go.

which makes me wonder what about a warbanner and items??

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
"Characters can only take a banner if their profile says they can"

i tried to find something to support this but the BSB is an exception to that rule. The magic banner section specifically allows BSb to carry magic banners

- edit- im wondering why they didnt use the standard restrictions for armybanners in this book. was it a failed stupidity test or did they intend to say this?

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
What standard restrictions? The Army BSB rules are all over the place... they seem to change them at a whim depending on what mood they are in as the army book is typed up...

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
no man! the time tk was written all the bsb had approximately the same writing for items:
"can carry any magic banner, no points limit, but if he has a magic banner he cannot have other magic items"
if they d done that for this book it would have been clear. Now im not so sure what their intent was

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alternatively is described by the online dictionary as "The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities." Meaning his choice of a magic banner (all of ours) cuts off his possibility of taking any magic items.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm almost certain that it means he can have A magic banner (no points limit) OR any other items up to 50pts. if its true and he could take 50 pts of anything then it might be cool to take the CoF and standard of the cursing word? (the one that does wounds if your in base contact and fail LD test)

just what i think though

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hmmm, this is quite a poser.
Though it doesn't really solve the whole question, i've looked at this from a differant view point. Can the icon bearer carry a shield? He cant carry a normal shield, but im not sure if this means he cant carry a magical one. Humph.
I'd really like to say he could do this. Magic banners are magic items. But im just not sure.
However, someone did point out well enough earlier, Icon bearers are close to useless. I only use one when trying to make up points.

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But this might be a way to use them ;) Still, even I is a bit confused about the rulings here...

//Nagash

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
GW actually has a phoneline for this kind of questions?

And do they actually answer stuff like this??

·
Registered
146 Posts
well i am wondering if a standard warbanner is counted as a magic banner... i dont have the book in front of me as of now

which if it is coudl mean that he could carry a warbanner and 30 (or 35 idk how much warbanner is) of magic items.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
Hmmm, this is quite a poser.
He cant carry a normal shield, but im not sure if this means he cant carry a magical one. Humph.

However, someone did point out well enough earlier, Icon bearers are close to useless. I only use one when trying to make up points.
When a character cannot use a normal version of an item , he may not use a magical version of it either. Magic weapons work a bit different though. (magic items section)

·
859 Posts
The Warbanner isn't a magic banner, it's the banners in the magic items section which are the magical banners.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
The warbanner is a magic banner, it says banner in its own description and its magical

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe the warbanner is under the common magic items section.

Why don't we just give a banner to a prince? That would be better, has my will be done, better over all, same 50 points. AH, cause he doesn't say he can take a banner. Darn. Well, IB only says he can have a banner alternatively to having magic items. Its not a matter of points, its a matter of stating that he can specifically have both.

Thats just my take.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts