Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why loyalist marines? Simple really, I haven't decided much more than that about this army, than that they will be loyalists. I have also decided to stick to models that I already own in an effort to actually get some of the stuff in the cupboard built and into use.

Well, that's enough of an introduction, how about an army list...

Chapter Master
Fist, Artificer Armour

Librarian

Tactical Squad
Flamer, Fist, Lascannon

Tactical Squad
Flamer, Fist, Lascannon

Tactical Squad
Melta, Fist, Lascannon

Tactical Squad
Melta, Fist, Lascannon

Tactical Squad
Flamer, Plasma Cannon, Fist

Tactical Squad
Flamer, Lascannon, Fist

That's nice and simple isn't it. I thought so. I always end up doing these optimised armies, or armies with a bit of everything and so I thought it would be a plesant change to give the marines a go. Let's see just how tactical they really are shall we?

Along the way I will be sharing some tips and ideas that I put into use when I am working on my marine armies. For example I will be sharing my method for assembling the basic bolter marine and sharing a couple of thoughts about how to use flat sided clippers.

With that said I think it is time that we started with some pictures...

First of all some part assembled marines.

And now for the thing about clippers. Here's a pic of both sides of flat sided clippers. Followed up by which way around they are meant to go when you clip parts from the sprues.

Okay.

With that out the way let's look at some of my marines as they start taking shape.

Here's the beginning of the Librarian and the Commander.

Here are my unit display stands.

And finally the greatest trick in the book. Organisation, these bags contain either different heads or different shoulder pauldrons. I can't remember which at the moment.

Ok, that's enough for a first post. I will add some updates a little later on.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Assembling Standard Marines

I thought this would not only be a decent update to the project but would also be quite interesting to anyone who is interested in how I go about assembling the miniatures in this project. I think the first thing however, is to apologise for the images. I did buy a new camera but my wife has taken it with her on vacation. I get the old 4MP Sony in the mean time. And to think, when I bought it 4MP was legendary status stuff...

Ah well.

Here goes.

Ok, first of all I am going to assume that you know how to clean and prepare the parts and that you have now got a marine torso and legs, which looks something like this.

What you need are the bolter or other weapon and the pair of arms that will be holding the weapon.

TOP TIP:

The arms come in matching pairs. If they are still on the sprue then it is easy as they are all placed next to each other and you can remove them as you need them. If you have taken all of the arms off the sprue then fear not you can still identify the pairs. The trick is too look at the structure of the forearms. There are three principle types. Twin holes, twin vents and a 'Z' joint. Oddly enough the pair both have the same forearm structure so you know which arm goes with which.

I wonder if you already knew that?

It's tough to see in the above picture but these are a pair of twin port arms. You can see it more clearly on the marine's right arm.

Back to the guide...

Ok, step one is in the picture above, lay out you parts so that you know you have everything.

2 - Glue the gun to the right hand. Don't wait for this to set completely, move on to step three as soon as the plastic cement is tacky enough to hold the parts together.

3 - Next put dots of glue on both sides of the torso and scrape a small amount off with the scooped palm of the marine's left hand. You can then attach the left arm to the torso. You should have something like this.

4 - Now attach the right arm, starting a little high and moving down so that the gun falls into the left open palm. if necessary you can place the gun onto the palm and then onto the shoulder but I find it works better the other way around.

5 - You can then adjust the pose as you wish. You have about 5-9 seconds before the joint will be damaged by your playing with it. Once you are happy hold the miniature absolutely still for about five seconds and then leave it to set somewhere.

6 - Repeat as required.

This is how my guys looked once I had all of the arms attached and set them in their display bases.

The next step is to add their heads and then the shoulder pauldrons. But I think that will need to wait for another update.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was deliberate guv!

It was deliberate! Honest.

I was going to put in some step by steps with the basing too but somehow deliberately missed that part.

Ok, let's get that out of the way.

First take some PVA glue and water it down a little.

Spread the glue across the base, you should be quite generous with it.

You then need to dip your miniature into the sand mix. I like the GW mixed sand as it gives some variety to the bases without requiring much additional effort from you, the modeller. You can, like me, add a few bits and pieces to the mix to make it even more interesting. For this project I have attached a few pieces of detritus, cables, crystals and pipe to the bases before I added the modelling sand. As you can see I prefer to stick the models to the base but there is nothing to stop you preparing the bases first and then attaching your models to the bases once the base is complete. I won't go in to the arguments for and against here though.

Next step is to shake off the excess. I like to gently run a finger around the edge of the base too to make sure that only the upper surface of the base has sand attached to it. This helps keep things looking neat.

You can then repeat the process as required.

Conversions:

Scattered throughout this army are some small conversions. I didn't take pictures of most of these but I did capture one very simple conversion. I only had four different designs of powerfists so to avoid monotony I removed the skull iconograph from one of them using my craft knife. I then used the sharp of the bald to smooth the back of the fist. In the same way that you would track a knife over a model to remove mold lines.

Before:

After.

Note:

When assembling space marines I think the orientation of the head is one of the most critical decisions. Right after how you place the arms. The direction of the Marine's gaze shows what he is doing and to some extent thinking and without a face to show emotion it is really important that you get this right.

No photos here as this is better captured during the painting stages but I wanted to say that it is really important. I have the luxury of having a broad choice of heads.

so I choose distinct heads to mark out the communications officer, sergeant and special weapons op in each squad. Once I had placed all of the heads...

Using just a small blob of polystyrene cement on each one.

I was able to attach the shoulder pads and ready the men for undercoating.

I undercoat my models using the black citadel spray. I do this by spraying successive light coats from different directions. This allows me to cover most of the miniature without obscuring any of the detail with the spray paint. I do not aim to completely cover the model but to at least dust all of the surface with paint. This prepares the plastic or metal for painting.

I hope that you are enjoying the thrill of the rapid progress army project as much as I am. I intend to crack on with the base coating today too so there should be another update not far behind this one.

C&C are of course welcome. I think I could do better with the army list so if you have any thoughts please do let me know. The only rules are that you need to keep the six full squads, no vehicles and I want to use my Ltd edition miniature. That gives you a few point to play with so ideas are welcome.

I hope you enjoyed the update! Watch this space.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hey Zarahemna, I am enjoying reading your project log so far. It is nice to see a project that goes so in-depth into the modelling and creation. I am looking forward to the paint brushes coming out. ;)

Subscribed. :)

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's Update Time!

Hey guys and girls, It's update time!

First of all I thought I could show off the limited edition figure I will be using as my commander. This guy has had both layers of his base coat and so you can see he has a nice flat finish to his armour which is sadly lacked by the rest of the army.

Here are some guys lining up neatly to be basecoated.

And here are the guys having a bit of a group hug to show off the first layer of their base coat. Why am I showing you this? Because I think it is useful to see every stage of the process. Sometimes you can feel that you don't know what to do or how to do it.

Well let me try to help.

First of all you want your paint to be a little bit thicker than milk. This means that one layer of paint, and this green covers pretty well for one of the old range of citadel colours, will not give you a nice flat finish. Getting a decent base coat is half of the battle when it come to painting miniatures and if you can muster the patience to put a neat basecoat on your figures then you will have an army that starts looking good very quickly.

Ok, I need to go back and start on that second layer of armour base coat. Gosh, I have never painted sixty models at a time. It's not good for my patience levels. I want these guys finished yesterday...

Thanks for your support people. C&C are welcome. Actually if you have idea about the colour of the weapons I would like to hear them. For those of you in the know I am thinking about a metal colour. Yellow or white perhaps but I am open to guidance. The favourite at present is black but I worry that these guys may end up looking extremely grim!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, some people like to be ambitious, and that you certainly are! What you have got so far is coming along realy well, and im enjoying reading along as you do each bit.

this is off topic but how do you post images that large, i can only get small attachments lol.

Subscribed :)

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

I think I am able to put the big images up because they are actually links to images hosted elsewhere. In my case on photobucket.

Speaking of which I have pressed ahead and painted, washed and drybrushed the bases so I can now put a squad in its stand as a final update before I call it quits for today.

Here's a the first squad to get loaded into their base.

What a day! Still I am pleased with what I was able to get done. I am going to work on the commander tomorrow to break the monotony of working on sixty marines. It should be a good morning.

Ok, catch you all later!

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dan

Time off. Isn't it great?

Actually it's not great in my situation as I have chronic back pain. Nuff said about that.

So, yes, you are right, I have had a few hours every day sat at my desk, to work on these guys. In between laying on the floor, taking pain killers, doing my physio exercises and crying.

Ahem.

I have been really pleased so far. This morning I have put the base coat on the commander and once the wash has dried I will be posting some pictures of that process. I love this hobby.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's update time!

Woo Hoo!

What a morning, MJ playing on the stereo, website being developed and painting my commander who incidentally is my test miniature. When this guy is finished I will put him in the first post like a sort of poster boy for my army.

But back to business.

As I have said before I want you to be able to see the different stages that my miniatures go through. So with that said the base coat for my COmmander is now complete and he is on the table with his wash drying. That's the first stage out of the way. Want to see?

Good.

And this time with some more of the basecoating done. As I have said before, everything is at least two coats of paint which has been thinned down to something similar to the consistency of milk.

And then with all of the metal filled in too. I think this guy now has the right colour in all the right places. Doesn't look too bad either.

Now for my favourite part. The washing. This is probably the stage which gives the biggest rewards for the smallest amount of effort. You need to make sure your base coats are good but as long as they are you should see some nice effects emerge at this point.

To avoid screwing up I paint the wash onto a small area and let it dry and then move on to another. You can see the bolter got washed first followed by the back pack.

Not bad if I do say myself. Since the wash is so easy I am sure you won't mind some effort so I will tell you at this point that you need to watch the model drying and keep an eye on any pooling. If it is in the right places it can help shade studs and buttons. Get it on a flat space and it looks terrible.

Just use a damp brush to suck up any excess wash. if you need a little extra then load the brush with some and transfer it to the miniature. Do this in small amounts though as it is depressing to wash a whole area when you were just trying to darken a chain or belt...

Ok, more images. You can see in these that the whole model has now been washed. I have several angles for you so that you can admire the change that this stuff makes when it is applied.

Yay! Stage one is complete. And to think it looks this good and I haven't even touched my detail brush to do any highlighting yet...

Oh. I just saw the other sixty guys waiting for the same tratement... Ah well. No rest for the wicked, or in my case, the injured.

C&C are welcome. Subscribe if you like what you see and yes, my LO army always needs recruits...

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Time off. Isn't it great?

Actually it's not great in my situation as I have chronic back pain. Nuff said about that.

So, yes, you are right, I have had a few hours every day sat at my desk, to work on these guys. In between laying on the floor, taking pain killers, doing my physio exercises and crying.

Ahem.

I have been really pleased so far. This morning I have put the base coat on the commander and once the wash has dried I will be posting some pictures of that process. I love this hobby.
Ooch!

Hope it gets sorted out.

I wish I had the time again to spend blazing through an army. Ive got a bog box of dark elves that have been sat waiting since Xmas, but more and more priority projects keep jumping up.

I love the hobby too, the visual feel of a fully painted army is great. I also love to see the look on an opponents face as my Daemon Prince eats Pedro Kantor after BBQing his command squad. Yummy.

Will you be able to make the LO meet this year?

Dan

·
397 Posts
Looking good. Way to be productive. I really want to use those LotR bases for magnetized displays too, but I don't need even more reasons to spend money on this hobby.

What kind of wash are you using? GW or something heavier?

PS. Just saw these were Raptors! For the Birdhead and the Emperor!

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
I like you painting, and the guide you are building. However, I am curious about your decision to add the backpacks and the arms + bolter to the mini prior to painting. I have attempted this in the past and found that it makes things a bit more difficult to paint the details, due to them being obscured. Do you not find this is a problem with the painting of these minis? Also, I generally find it a better idea to base separate from the mini as it stops any paint during the drybrush phase from getting onto the legs. Again, do you not encounter such a problem?

That said, these are looking good so far and I like your idea for using the WOR trays for a display holder.

Kuffy

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
However, I am curious about your decision to add the backpacks and the arms + bolter to the mini prior to painting. I have attempted this in the past and found that it makes things a bit more difficult to paint the details, due to them being obscured. Do you not find this is a problem with the painting of these minis? Also, I generally find it a better idea to base separate from the mini as it stops any paint during the drybrush phase from getting onto the legs. Again, do you not encounter such a problem?
Kuffy
I to generally build my model entirely before painting it. When painting the base you just have to be careful.

Dan

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It' all about

It's all about speed. While I would normally concern myself with detail my objective with this army is to get it complete and soon.

I figure that if the gun obscures the detail then the detail is obscured so no one can see it... Job done.

As for the basing I do the base and then work on the miniatures so the drybrushing is less of a problem.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update Time!

Ok,

Yesterday I managed to get all sixty marines basecoated TWICE! Man that's frustrating when you are doing batches of sixty. Ah well. I set myself up for this eh?

Ok, let's first of all look at a small GOLD SE NMM sample that I tried out. I would like to hear your thoughts on this as I am thinking about doing all of the bolter casings in GOLD SE NMM. If you don't think this test piece is any good then I will probably abandon the idea and do with either GOLD NMM or a plain solid colour for the weapons.

I also want to do all of the power weapons in glowing blue. So if anyone knows where I can find some decent articles on glowing blue eyes or power weapons I would be grateful. Here's the shot.

Right, with that out of the way. And yes please do C&C me. Let me show you a group shot. You can see here that I have drybrushed the bases upto their space wolves grey highlight. I may revist when I add the grass and snow with a bit more white highlight but I am happy with them at the moment.

Here's one squad as little closer so that you can take more of a look at the bases and where the models are at.

And here's a shot of the two VIPs. I have base coated the blue on the Librarian now and I am probably going to start with the metals and chest eagles next. Oh the joy!

Don't forget to tell me what you think of the NMM and to comment on the thread in any other way you want to. Thanks for taking a look!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts