Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm starting the Tyranid and have been looking through the codex. I saw that they are one unit and only one unit may be selected per army. The question I have is; Since they are one unit, but act independantly are they able to fire at different targets in the same turn? Any comments will be appreciated. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yep. Such individuals are deployed at the same time (since they count as one Force Organisation Chart item), but they operate totally independantly from each other. Each is a separate unit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have started to rewrite my Tactica. Below is what I have written for 'Thropes. Any helpful comments are appreciated. :)

Zoanthropes
Zoanthropes can now have two psychic powers. This has greatly improved their usefulness. Warp Blast is the Tyranids most powerful ranged attack. It can decimate Marines squads and penetrate heavy armour. It is hard to compare it with two 36’ range VC shots or a Dakkafex with 8 strength 6 shots. Three Zoanthropes cost about the same as one Gunfex and can kill a lot more Marines. Their slow speed, low BS and short range are a big negatives. They are cheap hardy backup synapse support. Warp field makes them hard to kill particularly when synapse prevents instant kills.

Don’t expect much of a lone Zoanthrope. In practice warp blast won’t be in range the first turn or two, then it may only get two or three shots. Zoanthropes attract fire when everything else gets tied up in CC. It may be useful to throw them into CC to help with its toxic miasma and with its 2+ save it can survive a long time.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Zerling said:
I have started to rewrite my Tactica. Below is what I have written for 'Thropes. Any helpful comments are appreciated. :)

Zoanthropes
Zoanthropes can now have two psychic powers. This has greatly improved their usefulness. Warp Blast is the Tyranids most powerful ranged attack. It can decimate Marines squads and penetrate heavy armour. It is hard to compare it with two 36’ range VC shots or a Dakkafex with 8 strength 6 shots. Three Zoanthropes cost about the same as one Gunfex and can kill a lot more Marines. Their slow speed, low BS and short range are a big negatives. They are cheap hardy backup synapse support. Warp field makes them hard to kill particularly when synapse prevents instant kills.

Don’t expect much of a lone Zoanthrope. In practice warp blast won’t be in range the first turn or two, then it may only get two or three shots. Zoanthropes attract fire when everything else gets tied up in CC. It may be useful to throw them into CC to help with its toxic miasma and with its 2+ save it can survive a long time.
I would say thropes have their place in the battlefield and can be effective when fielded in number (2 or 3) and given protection at the start.

Their biggest drawback is their lousy BS and the range of the Str 10 AP2 shot isn't very far. Plus fact they aren't that durable per se (think of them as terminators without cc). A couple well planted lascannons will pretty much spell doom (worse if they aren't in synapse).

If you are fielding a thrope, definitely give them Warp Blast as one of their abilities. The other should be tailored to how you want to approach them. 3 psyic screams can be a big plus, or a catalyst can come in handy. And of course there's synapse.

Expect them to die relatively quickly and it's not that big of a deal since they aren't scoring units anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Laplace said:
Expect them to die relatively quickly and it's not that big of a deal since they aren't scoring units anyway.
Depends how careless you are with them. The other night I fielded 3 WB, Synapse against guard, and despite his starting 7 lascannons I didn't lose a single one. BTW, that game they managed to take out 3 sentinels, 2 chimera and about 16 guardsmen.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Zoans purpose are their psychic abilities, not their combat prowess. Even if you're planning on using Warp Blast don't depend on it. Their low BS means you'll only hit 50% of the time, and less if you're using the high-powered blast. 55 points is a lot to spend on one model that will only hit 3 times per game on average.

I have used the psychic scream ability to great affect against Necrons twice. I find that the quickest way to destroy an army is to route them in CC and run them down like dogs. The -3 modifier in addition to the normal -2 to -4 for outnumbering has routed many units. I typically take a HT and 2 Zoans with psychic scream just to keep the enemy LD rolls in my favor. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.