Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on the web. ZUZZY Miniatures - The Despoiled Reaches - Terra-Flex Sulfur Fields Gaming Mat

They make 3 different types of mats. the mat is latex and has a 3D surface.

Has anyone every used one? I searched the forums for zuzzy and didnt find much. I bought the 1.50 6inch by 3 inch sample but then realized it wouldnt be big enough to see what the design and layout of the surface looked like so i bought the 11 inch by 14 inch mat for a little over $6.

I want to know how high the peaks and low the depressions are. does it make it difficult to play on? Can you get by with a coat or two of paint, and a drybrush or two? Any thoughts on how to wash a 6 by 4 foot mat?

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Bigger questions:
What type of rubber is used, and what are the temperature extremes for the rubber mat.
Cold temp will make the mat crack and break, while too hot will make some rubbers hit semi liquid and will glue itself to itself (if it's stored in the bag)
I'm wondering the extremes of the threshold, due to being in a Northern state, and winters are harsh, and basements can be cold.

But it is pretty. looks very cool, but i need more info than the site gives.
If anyone else emails the company and gets some answers..post them here, please!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it says latex. I don't know if there are different types. When I get my mat ill throw it in the fridge for a while and put it out in the sun for a whileto see what happens

·
Registered
56 Posts
They look like really good product, and they ship world wide. Rough cost for 6ft x 4ft size including shipping to the UK comes to around £60 ($90).

Did a little hunting around the net and there are several sites with decent reviews, one said it is very thin and the textured surface doesn't cause things to fall over.

Regarding how to paint it there is a decent tutorial on the stores site, almost 20 pics with step by step instructions. Looks good unpainted too.

Cheers for posting the link lhscouchmonster.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the mat should be delivered tomorrow. its only 11 inches by 14 but should give a good feel of what the material is like. ill put up some pics and impressions tomorrow. any questions anyone had that you would like me to look into?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The detail on the mat is very impressive. The mat i order is called 'the despoiled reaches' and features several different textures of dirt/rock. Below are some pictures showing the differences between the different textures

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad108/lhscouchmonster/IMG_20100820_132655.jpg

The mat is extremely thin and flexible. almost surprisingly so.

here is a pictures of me crinkling the mat to show you just how flexible it is:

the color of the mat must change based on the run from the factory. i dont think i would feel comfortable just brushing on some lighter grey and doing a black wash. i think the mat needs a base coat of a color first

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
very nice. questions have been answered.

I guess painting it would have to be done very very thin. if you put too much paint on it, let it dry, then rolled it up, you'd have cracking and flaking..??

·
2,434 Posts
very nice. questions have been answered.

I guess painting it would have to be done very very thin. if you put too much paint on it, let it dry, then rolled it up, you'd have cracking and flaking..??
My thoughts as well, would be good to see what happens after painting.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
With my years of experience in prosthetic make-up (don't ask why...) and working with lots of latex, I can give you some pointers on how to color/paint and store.

1. Latex is water and ammonia based, so it will dry out and shrink slightly over time. It will also stick to itself when rolled. I am sure it comes with both sides powdered, which keeps it from sticking, but it will wear off over time. Suggest keeping it in as flat a position as possible and do not roll or fold.
2. Make sure to wash with soapy water the side you will paint and let dry thoroughly. This will remove any powder they applied. But, make sure to keep the back powered. Simple baby powder works fine.
3. You are very correct in working with thin layers. However, I would not recommend water-based paints to start, especially for the base/primer coat. Use a thinned out flat acrylic enamel shot through an airbrush, if possible. The best material to cover latex is grease based, but the enamel will work fine. Once you have the base, you can use your normal paints, washes, etc.
4. The drying out over time is unavoidable, even if you kept it rolled up in a bag (and what fun is it to keep it in the bag?) The edges will get the worst of it and as long as the mat is not too thin, you should have it for years. Just can't recommend enough to keep it stored exactly they way you want to use it, i.e. flat out. If storage is a problem, simply thumbtack it behind your door and let it hang down. The holes will not show and will keep it stretched out.

Overall, they are simply outstanding looking and will make a GREAT mat!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I don't think you will need to worry much about it drying out enough to make any real difference. I am sure they have stabilizers in the rubber. If you keep it flat you will have it for a VERY long time - it you fold it or roll it up you may take it out one day to use and be very disappointed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts