Librarium Online Forums banner

On the Winds of Retribution - Dream Thief and Demon in White's Eldar WIP

14K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  Dream Thief 
#1 · (Edited)
Good Evening All.

Dream Thief checking in to kick this thread off.

I recently decided to begin an Eldar army, after a good several years of just having Chaos Marines, so it's a fresh start for me. I've always been the creative type so I decided on not following a specific GW craftworld, but instead to think up my own, with colours and tactics inclusive. Demon in White decided to jump on the bandwagon as well, so the two of us will both be updating this thread. (More recruits are always welcome :))

The craftworld is named Anagantieth, and the name of the game is full on Mechanised Eldar (although only Grav tanks, no puny Jetbikes or Vypers).

We have a small assortment of recently acquired models, with many more showing up in the near future.

The first models have been painted now, but not based yet. I'll have pics of them up shortly today - It's a Banshee, a Dire Avenger, and a Fire Prism (start as you mean to go on and all :D)

Checking back in shortly with photos

~ Lowell

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Right, I'll kick off the pictures. This is a picture of the first model we painted (well I painted it), a Howling Banshee.

View attachment 9311 View attachment 9312 View attachment 9313

As you can see, the main colours are red and black with blue trim on the gems (which took AGES to paint) and the eyes. We decided to paint the Banshee power swords Bleached Bone, as if they were made out of pure wraithbone. As Dream Thief mentioned, we haven't decided on how to do the bases yet, but we're thinking blasted ground so maybe gravel painted black or something similar.

I'll paint up more banshees and the Exarch tomorrow hopefully :)

- Demon in White

#4 ·
Thanks Pierced :)

Here's some of my first Dire Avenger. Mainly using this as a 'guinea pig' to get my colour scheme finalized. I really like the dark Eldar schemes myself (That's dark Eldar, not Dark eldar).

View attachment 3623 View attachment 3624 View attachment 3625

I'm not sure about the Fiery colour sweep (red-yellow) on the plumes though. It looks awesome as a colour, but it just seems to give the models back some of the old eldar/harlequin colourfulness I'm specifically trying to avoid. What does LO think about that?

~ Lowell

#6 ·
I'm not sure about the Fiery colour sweep (red-yellow) on the plumes though. It looks awesome as a colour, but it just seems to give the models back some of the old eldar/harlequin colourfulness I'm specifically trying to avoid. What does LO think about that?
I think it looks fine - quite an impressive effect, actually! Maybe, if you're worried about it becoming overwhelming, only do it on the exarch (squad leader?) or on one or two models per unit.

But I think it looks fine.

EDIT: That Fire Prism has indeed come out nicely!

Reactions: Dream Thief
#5 ·
Here's some shots of the prism - I'm almost finished it, I just need to paint the turret driver now, and get it based properly (I put it on the plastic clear flying base with some blu-tac for the photos) - I'm putting them on large round bases with bolts because the imbalance of the models means they don't sit on the plastic ones right - and It also means I can take the base and turret off to transport it easily :)

I'm pretty damn happy with how this turned out. At first I thought there wouldn't be enough red on it, but it came out beautifully.

View attachment 3628 View attachment 3629 View attachment 3630

~ Lowell

#7 ·
Thanks, I'm having a bit of a change of heart again, I'll probably leave it with the whole squad. Seeing as my army is going to suffer from lack of numbers, I figure I don't need to make anything look bland at all. It's meant to be an elite force, may as well paint to reflect that :)

~ L

#9 · (Edited)
Got some ideas for bases, seeing as It's something I thought was worth spending some time on rather than the usual flock or gravel and static grass. I want this army to look awesome, and I'm also keen to keep the colours running through everything, as I'm a little 'OCD' when it comes to things like that. I originally thought just adding some of my own industrial cement mixing sand (it has slightly more variance than modelling gravel, and it infinitely cheaper as I have several tonne-bags of it readily available) and painting it black, then drybrushing a few shades of gray onto it, resulting in the following -

View attachment 3644

Then I had a thought, dating back to my interest in the hakanors' reavers, and a photo i can't quite remember seeing yesterday of a khornate army on a lava-based battlefield, so I was thinking of putting cracks in the ground by raising the gravel areas, and painting them similar to the way I did the lines of the armour on the prism. Anyone done this before or think it'd be awesome or not work? I'll have a practice one done later today regardless.

EDIT: Here's that idea in several stages of progression. First one is just the two layers of sand/gravel glued down, the second is the molten streams been painted, the third is the watered down black on the solid ground, and the last is after drybrushing grey, grey/white and white onto it. The last picture doesn't show the drybrushing very well sadly, and the colour seems more faded in it for some reason. :(

View attachment 3649 View attachment 3650 View attachment 3651 View attachment 3652

~ Lowell

#10 · (Edited)
OK, I have some pictures of the first totally finished model. The Howling Banshee I posted earlier has been touched up, varnished and most importantly based, so we can now see a picture of how the lava bases look on the models. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

The first stage of the basing:

View attachment 3660

The second stage, with the lava painted up properly

View attachment 3661 :

The final product, with the gravel painted as well:

View attachment 3662

From the back:

View attachment 3663

I think the lava effect has come out really well and I can't wait to see how a whole army full of models like this looks. We are still working on the fluff reasons for the lava bases, but in the meantime I'm very pleased with our first model :D

~ Demon in White

#11 ·
We are still working on the fluff reasons for the lava bases, but in the meantime I'm very pleased with our first model
Isn't the Avatar said to split the very ground he walks upon, or something like that? It doesn't sound like you have one planned for your army, though, being a mechanised force.

They could be herelds or something. Anyway, I'm sure you'll come up with a better idea!

#15 ·
These are looking good, guys.

1. Cockade on Dire Avenger: I agree. Leave it, as it isn't so in-your-face as you might think. It certainly is far enough away from the Harlequin-esque garishness not to fall into the category you've tried to avoid, but at the same time its brighter colour is necessary because of the relatively duller colours you've used (dark red and black) on the armour plates and helmets.

2. The bases are very well done. Conga rats!

3. The Fire Prism is excellent, particularly the prism itself. Are you going to put a gloss varnish on the facets, or just leave it 'as is'?

E.

#16 ·
These are looking good, guys.

1. Cockade on Dire Avenger: I agree. Leave it, as it isn't so in-your-face as you might think. It certainly is far enough away from the Harlequin-esque garishness not to fall into the category you've tried to avoid, but at the same time its brighter colour is necessary because of the relatively duller colours you've used (dark red and black) on the armour plates and helmets.

2. The bases are very well done. Conga rats!

3. The Fire Prism is excellent, particularly the prism itself. Are you going to put a gloss varnish on the facets, or just leave it 'as is'?

E.
I think we're going to leave the Dire Avenger as it is, it's not as imposing as we first thought and in a whole squad of them it'll be fine. Thanks about the bases, I'm really happy with the way they came out.

As to the Prism, no I don't believe we're gloss varnishing it, we are going to give it a coat of matt varnish as we do with everything but neither of us particularly like the look of gloss varnish so no. With the Prism, the main thing left to do is the base - we're going to attach it to a Dreadnought base with a bolt and nuts so we can dismantle it easily for carrying.

- Demon in White

#19 ·
We have another finished vehicle (A wave Serpent with TL Bright Lances), a second unfinished Lance Serpent, a half-salvaged second Prism that looks like it was glued and painted by a 6 year old, and a semi-assembled second unit of avengers now.

Humble apologies for the delay, pics will be up shortly :D

~ Lowell

#21 · (Edited)
Ok then, I'll gettem up in the next hour or so seeing as someone asked already :D

~ L

And here's some shots of the finished Serpent (Although I just realised the weapons still need inks/drybrushes) -

View attachment 3887 View attachment 3889 View attachment 3888

And NOW I just noticed the spirit stones still need painting blue.

I don't know if either of us mentioned already, but we're planning on leaving all the Vehicle windows off. To me they just look a little too cheap and tacky, and of course I want to be able to show off the painted drivers properly as well. :D

~ L

#22 · (Edited)
I don't know if either of us mentioned already, but we're planning on leaving all the Vehicle windows off. To me they just look a little too cheap and tacky, and of course I want to be able to show off the painted drivers properly as well. :D

~ L
Especially considering we spent about 3 hours just on the pilots, and anyway we can't put the windows on because one of them got broken :D

Well, the first Farseer, Anghavan, is currently being painted, so I'll get some finished pics up in the next couple of days. He is extensively converted using a Bonesinger as a base and I'm extremely pleased with the way he's turning out. The other Farseer, Aneath, is a female one which Dream Thief has taken responsibility for, unfortunately he is currently away so we shall have to wait and see on that one.

~ DiW

#24 · (Edited)
I personally think painting Aspects in their default colours gives the army too much variance and detracts from the look as a whole. Plus it means everyone has the same-looking units, which I totally disagree with. Also, we decided from the start that our army would be different from what you usually see in Eldar armies i.e. lots of bright colours, and the Aspects are all horribly bright colours. All that aside, there's always the fact that we hate the colours anyway :p

EDIT: Thanks, by the way :D

~ DiW

#25 · (Edited)
OK, here are the first pictures of the Farseer WIP. Bear in mind, however, that it really is a WIP picture: the painting's really messy ATM but I'm not going to correct any mistakes until all of them have been made so as to save time. Also, the paint is a tad thick in places and the detail a little obscured, but not too much so as to be in your face and I'm hoping the highlighting will go a long way to making it look a lot better and give it back the depth it lost. For the record, I couldn't have made it any thinner, I guess that's just what happens when you strip the paint off one too many times. However, I'm hoping it won't be noticable when the whole thing's complete. By the way, this was mainly on Dream Thief's request, as he hasn't seen any pictures of the new Farseer yet. Please don't judge my painting skills by this picture, I promise you that it will look a million times better by the time I'm finished ;)

Oh, and it's only the body.

View attachment 4042

~ Demon in White

EDIT: Looking at it now, actually, I don't know what I'm fretting about with the paint being thick: it's just a couple of places where the paint looks thick but it's actually because there's mistakes with the highlighting which I promise will be rectified ASAP.

#32 ·
is this the one I did background for, or do all of your craftworld names sound alike?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.