Librarium Online Forums banner

Justice for All's painting projects

87K views 516 replies 69 participants last post by  danjones87 
#1 · (Edited)
Justice for All's Finished painting projects

Realised I should probably start one of these as I am in the process of painting all types of 40k minitures. I really appreciate ideas, observations and critiscisms of my efforts so don't be shy, but don't be nasty.

#7 ·
God damn, apparently I can't rep you any more lol.

You want to hope I never develop Sylar style powers, because if I do I'm coming straight to your house and stealing your painting skills. Hopefully I can do it without removing the top of your skull but making omlettes and all that :p

#9 ·
Thanks guys. Glad you like my efforts so far.

Realitycheque: I've just bought a military helmet to protect my head from you.lol

Kithre: Thanks for your input mate. I'm about to do all twelve of the SH Termies as a set and was using these first few individuals to get my hand back into painting to a high standard/learn skills. I think you can see the gems are better on Noctis than the others as I got the hang of it by the time I did him etc. Although the overall sculpts are good the staffers who made the SH termies did a few sloppy bits mostly on the backs of the models and the arm interface between the upper arm and shoulder pad. Can't do much about them sadly.

#14 ·
Ta. Thanks indeed. I doff my cap at your supermoddedness. ;-)

Looked at the two colours that seem to be used alot and just didn't grab me. Didn't look cold enough for my liking. So devised my own. Not that I'm biased in any way but I like mine the most. lol. Also meant I could get some nice contrast against the warmed colours.

#15 ·
Yeha - all really good stuff, though one comment on teh runes on Njal's armour - they either don't seem shaded enough or appear washed out in teh photo. However, that face again is superb, and I like the staff as well...

#17 ·
Update for today. I've been working on 12 SH Termies so here are the first two completed. Learned alot about painting red and gems with my earlier ones.

I also had to do a simple bit of conversion with Scipio as his PF pulling up the desking look shocking origionally. As I've spent more time paint SH Termies I've grow to realise that if you look past the detail the basic models are apallingly bad sculpts.

#21 ·
Top tips indeed. Yea, teh addidtion of a bit of green follows some of the basic rules of colour theory in art. Careful use of a colours complementary will enhance it.

Re: SH Termies sculpts. They are bad. Yes, the detail is great and the stances are great compared to the normal termies but there are lots of really bad/sloppy areas. If one wanted to really do them justice you would need to spend hours and hours on each sorting the bad bits out.

#23 ·
That's a little harsh, but unfortunately there are minor detractions from the models which take away from their overall appearance.

However, the models are certainly the best boxed-set models available, and much look great, oozing character, whilst the stealers are menacing if a little skinny for super-strong combat aliens...

#24 ·
However, the models are certainly the best boxed-set models available, and much look great, oozing character
I'd certainly agree with that, for a board game they are great but as an example of fine sculpting and modelling they aren't. They should have been broken down into more component parts if the aim was to make truly excellent figures. I recognise that this wasn't the aim, which is a shame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.